Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-18-2020, 10:14 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default XSG3 problem

Hi

The (new-to-us) 2018 Winnie Era that we got last month has the fancy XSG3 in-dash nav/entertainment system. IMO the most important function of this thing is the backup camera... We have noticed an issue with it that sometimes it does not appear to power-up when the vehicle engine is started. Other times it powers-up, but then dies before the boot process is complete. On our one trip so far, it even died several times while driving down the highway. So far, the power always seems to come back after a few minutes of driving and it boots up. For awhile I had a theory that it was related to the voltage of the engine battery (which I noted on a voltmeter drops down to 10-11 volts while the glow plugs are doing their thing). The was further reinforced by a finding that if it died while driving down the highway, throwing the switch in the dash to change it's power source from engine to house batteries would cause it to boot.

Today I went to fill the fuel tank, and it mis-behaved again, and this time switching to house battery (which are fully charged to 12.6 volts) did not cause it to power up. It did eventually power up after about 5 minutes of driving. I had a voltmeter plugged into the cig lighter the whole time and voltage with the engine running was stable at 14.2-14.4 volts. So I'm running out of good theories that fit the empirical evidence.

Any suggestions? Also, any recommendations w.r.t wireless backup cameras? Since I almost always have to backup when starting out, I'd like one that didn't take 20-30 seconds to boot up like the XSG3 does (when it does boot up).

Thanks!

-dm
KitsapEra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2020, 11:35 PM   #2
Platinum Member

my prius "premium" in dash system can't run gps maps and fm radio at the same time or it crashes- had it back to toyota for numerous updates.

I learned hard not to put faith in a car builder who will put more $$ into marketing than technology
( the radio was mandatory cost to get the interior we wanted)

In my van I use a $40 wireless backup can from amazon- it works great past 4 years:

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1

( right now it shows for a higher price- it regularly sells for 39.99, so wait)

my camera is mounted up by the 3rd brake light so that I have an angled view when backing to my gate

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote