Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-21-2020, 06:53 PM   #1

Default Zion srt solar issue

I have a 2018 Zion srt 200 watt solar with volt start. The batteries used to go for 4-8 hours before starting and recharging. (With out air conditioning)Now it’s every 1/2 hour or hour any thoughts? Two eco trek lithium the volt meter read 12.98
Cokkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 01:46 PM   #2
Platinum Member

400Ah of lithium batteries (2 ecotrek modules) should last several days if not using the air conditioner.

If accurate, the 12.98v you measured indicates a very low state of charge (SOC) of approximately 20%. The voltstart would start often.

I suggest plugging the van into shore power (grid power) for 12 hours or even overnight to see if the modules will charge to a higher SOC. That length of time is likely needed because the charger in your van is almost certainly not high amp output. It might only output 30A or 40A.

While charging you should expect to see voltage rising to over 14V and likely reaching 14.4V. Don't terminate the charging too soon. Lithium batteries don't need a long absorption time but packs are often designed with cell balancing occurring at absorption type voltages. After charging to a near full state you should expect to see a resting voltage (off charger) of more than 13.4V.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2020, 09:54 PM   #3

Default Thank you,

I’m on a long trio right now (12 hrs of driving ) would that do the same thing? It’s even at 12.96 while I drive. When I do shore power charge I have inverter on correct ? Any other hints would be well appreciated. Again thanks for the suggestion.

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo View Post
400Ah of lithium batteries (2 ecotrek modules) should last several days if not using the air conditioner.

If accurate, the 12.98v you measured indicates a very low state of charge (SOC) of approximately 20%. The voltstart would start often.

I suggest plugging the van into shore power (grid power) for 12 hours or even overnight to see if the modules will charge to a higher SOC. That length of time is likely needed because the charger in your van is almost certainly not high amp output. It might only output 30A or 40A.

While charging you should expect to see voltage rising to over 14V and likely reaching 14.4V. Don't terminate the charging too soon. Lithium batteries don't need a long absorption time but packs are often designed with cell balancing occurring at absorption type voltages. After charging to a near full state you should expect to see a resting voltage (off charger) of more than 13.4V.
Old 05-22-2020, 10:16 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Yes, driving should charge the lithium modules. They should have been full after 3 or 4 hours.

The switches for the lithium modules would need to be turned on. Do you know if they're on?

Hopefully someone with a similar setup will see this topic and offer some advice.
Old 05-22-2020, 11:42 PM   #5

Default Again thanks

I’ve been driving for 5 hrs it’s at 12.96 - 13.00 . Yes both blue buttons are on . And have been. The inverter is off. Thanks again, if any one else has a theory please weigh in.
Old 05-23-2020, 11:08 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Maybe the 2nd alternator's (under hood generator) belt has come off.