Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-03-2015, 04:25 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default ZL Power / Power Star inverter charger surge protection

Admin edit: Split from the UL 1449 Certified Surge Protection Devices for RVs http://www.classbforum.com/phpBB2/vi...php?f=9&t=2561
-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti
Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
You'll probably find that lower wattage inverter/chargers are fed off the AC panel rather than AC passing through the inverter/charger and feeding the AC panel.
Yes. This distinction is key. One needs to understand how a given rig is wired in this regard. Our GWV Legend has a 2800W Outback inverter/charger, and the 120VAC runs THROUGH it. That means that all the sophisticated power-quality checking that the Outback does routinely covers the entire vehicle. For this reason, a full-featured protector such as the Progressive Industries unit is unnecessary. What IS necessary is surge suppression (which, for the record, means: "Protection from high voltage transients" such as those caused by lightning). I am going to add the $50 Leviton unit that you referenced earlier in this thread. It seems ideal for the purpose:

http://www.homedepot.com/s/hole%2520...pressor?NCNI-5
Avanati-since i don't really understand this stuff would an inverter charger that says overload protection-circuit breaker mean anything? short circuit protection-circuit breaker?

another question-what does bypass without battery connected-yesn and max bypass current 30 or 40 amps, and bypass overload current 35 or 45 amp -alarm.

thanks
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 06:54 PM   #2
Site Team

Default Re: UL 1449 Certified Surge Protection Devices for RVs

Quote:
Originally Posted by gerrym51
Avanati-since i don't really understand this stuff would an inverter charger that says overload protection-circuit breaker mean anything? short circuit protection-circuit breaker?
That sounds like it is referring to basic over-current protection (what a fuse or circuit breaker does). Perhaps the unit has built-in breakers? Usually they are external.
Quote:
another question-what does bypass without battery connected-yesn and max bypass current 30 or 40 amps, and bypass overload current 35 or 45 amp -alarm.
I can't quite make sense of that. Could you provide more context?
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-03-2015, 07:03 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
That sounds like it is referring to basic over-current protection (what a fuse or circuit breaker does). Perhaps the unit has built-in breakers? Usually they are external.
Quote:
I can't quite make sense of that. Could you provide more context?
last page of this pdf

https://cdn.shopify.com/s/files/1/0408/ ... MANUAL.pdf
Old 03-03-2015, 07:53 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Looks like a nice unit. Perhaps not as rugged as some of the ones designed for marine use.

The unit appears to have an internal transfer switch. The "bypass" stuff seems to be saying that it is spec'd to pass through 30 or 40 amps (and that the battery need not be present), and that it will alarm if the AC demand on the output exceeds 35 or 45 amps. At least that is how I interpret it without having read every word.

In general, it looks like the unit does reasonable AC power-quality monitoring. You would still want surge suppression on the AC input, though.
Old 03-03-2015, 07:57 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Quote:
Looks like a nice unit. Perhaps not as rugged as some of the ones designed for marine use.

The unit appears to have an internal transfer switch. The "bypass" stuff seems to be saying that it is spec'd to pass through 30 or 40 amps (and that the battery need not be present), and that it will alarm if the AC demand on the output exceeds 35 or 45 amps. At least that is how I interpret it without having read every word.

In general, it looks like the unit does reasonable AC power-quality monitoring. You would still want surge suppression on the AC input, though.
this is what roadtrek uses
Old 03-03-2015, 08:11 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Avanti- would this work for me and the zion if i already had all the other stuff in the inverter/charger

http://trci.net/products/surge-guard-rv ... -protector

would it interfere in any way with my inverter/charger?

thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 12:30 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I asked Jim Hammill today on the Roadtrekking face book page if the inverter/charger would take care of power surges. He said i don't need any other

devices-the inverter/charger they use covers it all.

I did not ask him about a lightning strike though
Old 03-06-2015, 12:46 AM   #8
Site Team

Quote:
I asked Jim Hammill today on the Roadtrekking face book page if the inverter/charger would take care of power surges. He said i don't need any other devices-the inverter/charger they use covers it all.

I did not ask him about a lightning strike though
I'm skeptical that it would have surge suppression. Because the MOVs that are used for this purpose are sacrificial, it is not common to include them in an expensive piece of equipment. Outback sells surge-suppressors meant to use with their inverter/chargers, but they are a separate component. I was tempted to use it, but it is very expensive for what it does.
Old 03-06-2015, 01:19 AM   #9
Platinum Member

avanti-what does surge AC overload capacity mean? thanks
Old 03-06-2015, 01:41 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default Re: ZL Power / Power Star inverter charger surge protection

ZL Power / Power Star link http://www.zlpower.com/products_view.asp?/162.html
ZL Power contact us page: http://www.zlpower.com/about_page.asp?/18.html

Gerry - it would be great if you would ask ZL Power about the capabilities of their device you are getting and let us know what you find out. I'm sure other Zion purchaser will have the same questions and will appreciate your efforts.

What questions should we or Gerry ask them to get a better understanding of any surge protection built into the LW series of inverters?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 01:55 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Mark- the question i have is this for the others. After i was told about Outback having a surge protection device separate from their inverter/chargers i looked at it on their webpage and attempted to find another inverter/charger maker that makes a similiar device to pair with their inverter charger.

I could not

I will see if i can get any info out of zlpower

however depending on the model Roadtrek themselves do not always enable all functions-or all functions to max.
Old 03-06-2015, 02:19 PM   #12

Quote:
http://trci.net/products/surge-guard-rv/hardwires-portables/30a-portable-surge-protector
would it interfere in any way with my inverter/charger?
To an inverter/charger (or other appliances), it is nothing more than a direct connection to AC mains. One can confirm this with a meter or continuity checker.

Key to making that unit effective is where is must be located. "Plug the Surge Guard ... into an approved RV receptacle and plug the RV power cord into the Surge Guard." This means its MOVs have a shortest (low impedance) connection to earth ground. And are farther from the inverter. Only then does it provide protection from surges that MOVs are intended to avert.

However (and its spec numbers are not clear), it appears to be seriously undersized. Effective protectors for this type of protection should be at least 50,000 amps. This is only 6500 amps (maybe more).

Its other features make it useful.

All appliances already have surge protection. I would expect the inverter to meet same industry standards that make computer and other electronic power supplies so robust. Before PCs existed, industry standards put that protection at 600 volts for 120 volt units. Today that standard protection is closer to 1000 volts.

Your concern is a rare transient (maybe once every seven years) that might overwhelm that protection. A number, that can also vary significantly even in the same town.
westom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2015, 02:25 PM   #13
Platinum Member

so what i'm getting from all these posts is that the protective devices built in to my inverter/charger will protect my van from MOST electrical issues but would need big joule protection from things like a lightning strike.

you can only reasonably do so much-i guess.

if i did not have the inverter/chargers protections i would use a device.

since all power in the zion is routed thru the inverter/charger in all circumstances i guess i'll just stick with that
Old 03-06-2015, 02:30 PM   #14
Site Team

Quote:
so what i'm getting from all these posts is that the protective devices built in to my inverter/charger will protect my van from MOST electrical issues but would need big joule protection from things like a lightning strike.

if i did not have the inverter/chargers protections i would use a device.

since all power in the zion is routed thru the inverter/charger in all circumstances i guess i'll just stick with that
This is exactly my conclusion as well, except that in my judgment, an extra $50 to add the Leviton surge-suppressor wired at the shore-power input plug seems to be a cost-effective addition. This is especially true given that for your $50 dollars you get a "free" replacement after a damaging surge event (since you can then connect the other phase protector).
Old 03-06-2015, 02:58 PM   #15

Quote:
Again, put risk into perspective. Homes typically suffer one potentially catastrophic surge every seven years. How often would that happen to an RV only powered maybe a few weeks every year?
westom is offline   Reply With Quote