Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-10-2017, 01:46 AM   #1

Default 2001 to 2009 Phoenix Cruiser with slide out

Anyone have advice about buying a 2001 to 2009 Phoenix Cruiser 2100 with a slide out? Any concerns about leaking gaskets or rubber seals in the transmission or engine? What kind of gas mileage can we expect from the Ford V10? Are any fiberglass areas prone to stress cracks? Are any areas prone to water leaks? Is the slide out prone to any problems? Any need for stabilizing jacks when parked? Any help locating a used RV would be appreciated. My wife and I will retire soon and plan to visit the national parks.
RV Quest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 03:01 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Google slide out problem RV. You will see there can be many problems. I would never have a class b, A or C with a slide rout.
RVTrader is a great resource for used RV's. Also, you can go to the Phoenix Crusier inventory webspage and see if there are listed there.
Phoenix Cruiser - Affordable Luxury Class B+ Motorhome
Viperml is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 12:27 PM   #3
Silver Member

I shopped Phoenix Cruiser quite a bit back in that time. go to the factory website and check out their used inventory. i had a 2000 E350 and it was a great van. Havent had the V10 but friends with them in the RV world say they are good and they like to work. I wouldnt be afraid of slideouts. I have had them on RVs since my 1994 travel and trailer and never had a problem. My current class A is 20 years old and the slide has never been a problem.
1997 Country Coach Intrigue #10468 "Mister Motorhome"
Firesteel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2017, 08:45 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Having a slide out that won't retract could cause you a ton of issues while camping if you don't have the tools to retract it manually. Ensure you are prepared and that you know what to do.

Practice retracting the slide out manually a few times a year so you don't forget and are comfortable with doing it in an emergency.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2017, 12:23 AM   #5
Platinum Member

We own the next size up Phoenix Cruiser, a 2350 with a slide. Given your desire to tour in the RV and visit National Parks and perhaps state parks as well, I certainly think a PC 2100 with a slide would work well for you.

Our chassis is the same as a 2100 and we have the V10. It is a great, trouble free motor and you should count on 10 mpg with the rig and smile because you will probably get 11. You will, of course, not need to tow anything.

If you need more storage space, slap a hitch carrier on the back of the 2100 and you will have it made.

As to the slide, slides vary in quality from brand to brand. I can tell you with certainty that our slide in our Phoenix Cruiser does not leak, operates perfectly and is very well built and engineered. Many slides (when inspected closely) should and will cause problems because they are poorly designed and crafted.

Another poster on this forum (and the PC forum as well) is GARMP and he has a thread here down the page a bit. He recently purchased a new 2100 and might be a resource for you for information. PC designs, like some others, tend to stay pretty constant through the years so a ten year old unit and a new one will have a lot in common.

We researched small B+ motorhomes for two years and decided on the Phoenix Cruiser because of its reputation for quality. Read the forum on their site and you will see a happy bunch of owners.

A slide on a 2100 will result in you having a small, easily driven and parked coach with reasonable economy, a couch that makes a pretty nice bed, a dinette, a nice dry bath and a nice kitchen. You will also, most importantly, be owning a product produced by a company that the folks that designed your 2100 own and work there every day. These things are not mass produced and the company only makes a little over a hundred coaches a year of ALL sizes combined.

You will have to search a bit on the various seller sites including rvtrader.com, rvt.com, the Phoenix site, etc. to find a previously owned 2100 and they are out there. You will also need to be willing to travel a bit in all probability to buy one.

Good hunting!

Paul
Doneworking is offline   Reply With Quote