Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-13-2020, 01:55 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default 2009 Born Free Built for Two?

For the last couple of years I've been shopping for a Class B+ with a gasoline engine.

I may have found the one. 2009 Born Free Built for Two. 74,000 miles on the Ford F350 V-10 chassis. Less then 50 original generator hours. Proven one owner. I've crawled under and over, stuck my head in everywhere I could, pushed every button, twisted every knob. Unit was stored inside when not in use and the original "Like new" unfaded, unchecked exterior decals back this up. Gas petal to the floor and the engine accelerates without hesitation, let go of the steering unit and it tracks straight. Transmission fluid clean. 6 new tires. Coach batteries are label date stamps as three years old. No evidence of water damage. Sealant around roof vents is all in place, viable and in good condition. No wear marks or stains on the floor carpet or linoleum.

Everything works and I mean everything works.

A few small stone paints chips on the hood and one cabinet latch is missing the release button.

The coach batteries slide out tray as does some of the other exterior storage bays internal metal components have moderate surface rust. Nothing a wire brush and paint can't cure.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate this as a 9.

The original owner's paperwork shows that the unit was purchased new in 2009 for $90,000. The Dealer includes a 30 day warranty that covers parts and labor.

What is a fair price range for this?
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2020, 11:18 PM   #2
Platinum Member

The NADA guides says it is worth about $25,000.

https://www.nadaguides.com/RVs/2009/...3050967/Values
Old 06-14-2020, 01:31 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want a B View Post
For the last couple of years I've been shopping for a Class B+ with a gasoline engine.

I may have found the one. 2009 Born Free Built for Two. 74,000 miles on the Ford F350 V-10 chassis. Less then 50 original generator hours. Proven one owner. I've crawled under and over, stuck my head in everywhere I could, pushed every button, twisted every knob. Unit was stored inside when not in use and the original "Like new" unfaded, unchecked exterior decals back this up. Gas petal to the floor and the engine accelerates without hesitation, let go of the steering unit and it tracks straight. Transmission fluid clean. 6 new tires. Coach batteries are label date stamps as three years old. No evidence of water damage. Sealant around roof vents is all in place, viable and in good condition. No wear marks or stains on the floor carpet or linoleum.

Everything works and I mean everything works.

A few small stone paints chips on the hood and one cabinet latch is missing the release button.

The coach batteries slide out tray as does some of the other exterior storage bays internal metal components have moderate surface rust. Nothing a wire brush and paint can't cure.

On a scale of 1 to 10 I'd rate this as a 9.

The original owner's paperwork shows that the unit was purchased new in 2009 for $90,000. The Dealer includes a 30 day warranty that covers parts and labor.

What is a fair price range for this?
You will want to make sure the generator has no issues while you are still under the 30 day warranty. With only 50 hours in 11 years it has not been run enough to follow the Onan maintenance schedule of 2 hours per month at 1/2 load. Should have something like 250 hours on the generator at this point...

Born Free are high quality rigs...
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 12:19 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Dealer will not negotiate on his price. So I'm passing on this unit and searching for another.
Old 06-16-2020, 03:32 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Dealer will not negotiate on his price. So I'm passing on this unit and searching for another.
Just curious - what is the dealer asking? I think the RV would be worth a lot more than the NADA book value, considering that 1999 Roadtreks go for $20,000 and more. Did you know that Born Frees were built with a roll bar so they have more protection than a regular motorhome, if the vehicle should happen to roll. I used to look at Born Frees at RV shows here in Iowa and always wanted to get one. Based on what 2009 Roadtreks go for, I would think a 2009 Born Free would be worth at least as much as those.
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2020, 03:42 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pam G View Post
... I think the RV would be worth a lot more than the NADA book value....
From my research NADA values about 50% lower then what the market value is.

Dealer price is 60% higher than NADA.
Old 06-17-2020, 03:30 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
From my research NADA values about 50% lower then what the market value is.

Dealer price is 60% higher than NADA.
For comparison's sake, here are 3 prices for 2009 Roadtreks on RV Trader.

There's a Roadtrek Adventurous for $61,195, a Roadtrek 190 Popular for $42,950, and a Roadtrek Adventurer for $52,195, so, depending on how the Born Free compares to these, and from prices I've seen on other 2009 Class B's, a price in the $50,000-$65,000 range doesn't surprise me.
Old 06-18-2020, 04:37 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Born Free RVs had always been in the A+ rating of high quality. No surprise that the one you found is trouble-free and well-maintained. Comparing a Born Free to a Roadtrek is folly, especially from a price perspective. You'd do well to find several of the many Born Free forums and make inquiries there. No, I never owned a Born Free, but I always wished I had.
MarCorpsMustang is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2020, 04:44 PM   #9
Platinum Member

There are several Born Free's for sale on RV Trader.
https://www.rvtrader.com/Born-Free/r...FREE%7C2248642
Old 06-18-2020, 05:43 PM   #10
Gold Member

The popularity of Bs and B+s has increased especially with COVID restrictions on air and overseas travel This unit has some desirability while being a wide body B plus, yet it is barely over 20’ long and laid out similarly to the venerable Chinook. The same length as a 3500 dually pickup. In that short a unit you do end up with rear entry which made my wife and I pass, but gain by having exceptional manouverability And can park even in a curb side parallel downtown spot. The Rialta we had was 22’ and we routinely parked in most car-size spots. Anyway, these days it seems that you can buy a land yacht for he same price as a mini. So, no surprise that the dealer knows that good things come in small packages.

Good luck!

Gary
Shawnigan Lake, BC
2008 LTV Libero (25’)
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 04:22 AM   #11
Bronze Member

Greg,

What is the price that the dealer is asking for the Born Free?

Dave

Now: 1998 Coachmen Starflyte FRB 21' Class B+
Formerly: 1996 Coachmen M19-RD GMC 19' Class B
TatraDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-20-2020, 05:03 AM   #12
Gold Member

At 160% of NADA $25k I think he might have answered your question already, $40,000
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 03:34 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Want a B,

Here's two options:

1 - Offer the dealer $35,000 for the Born Free - (or whatever price you are thinking).
I know you said he won't budge on the price - But, if it keeps sitting in his lot at $40k with no buyer, he will start to think about a lower price. Just offer him $35,000 and tell him that YOU won't budge. And then walk out. Leave him your number and contact information of course. And then see what happens.

2 - There is a 1998 Coachmen Starflyte 21' class B plus (really more of a C minus) for sale on eBay for $21,000/BO.
Has the Ford E350 chassis with the Triton V-8. Body is fiberglas. Not quite the same construction as a Born Free or a Chinook - but it is similar. I have a 98 Starflyte and I am happy with it.

Dave

Now: 1998 Coachmen Starflyte FRB 21' Class B+
Formerly: 1996 Coachmen M19-RD GMC 19' Class B
TatraDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-21-2020, 04:16 PM   #14
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TatraDog View Post
Want a B,

Here's two options:

1 - Offer the dealer $35,000 for the Born Free - (or whatever price you are thinking).
I know you said he won't budge on the price - But, if it keeps sitting in his lot at $40k with no buyer, he will start to think about a lower price. Just offer him $35,000 and tell him that YOU won't budge. And then walk out. Leave him your number and contact information of course. And then see what happens.

2 - There is a 1998 Coachmen Starflyte 21' class B plus (really more of a C minus) for sale on eBay for $21,000/BO.
Has the Ford E350 chassis with the Triton V-8. Body is fiberglas. Not quite the same construction as a Born Free or a Chinook - but it is similar. I have a 98 Starflyte and I am happy with it.

Dave

Agree, make the offer.

About 2-3 months ago I was passing through the living room to the kitchen when I saw someone in my front yard. Then the person waved, so I went outside. Within about 3-4 minutes he offered me Cash Money, he meant it literally. He had not even gone inside the B.

It did not take me any time to understand just what was happening prior to asking a couple of questions, I'm old.

Stand on a street corner and ask someone if they want to have sex. Yes, eventually someone will say yes. How do I know? I don't, someone told me so.

And hey, I still have the nice fellow's card, number. He was a contractor working my area and saw the B. He was knowledgeable and understood how to get a good deal, and not just in the contracting business.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote