Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2019, 12:07 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Air Conditioner Drain

Doing preventative maintenance on our new to us 2007 RoadTrek 210 Versatile for an upcoming trip. Part of this is making sure the AC is working and draining properly. Been trying to find the AC drain tube/hose and where the end is that the water comes out to make sure that it is clear of any obstructions. This is the coach AC unit that is in the back of the RV over the bench seat/bed.

Thanks
RAA
RAA357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 04:23 AM   #2
Platinum Member

On my C190P the drain is just out the back of the grill. No tube.
hbn7hj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2019, 11:09 AM   #3
Platinum Member

That is what i found also. Removed the back fiberglass cover and inspected the AC. No drain hose or tube, just a drain hole in the lower right corner of the tray which the water flows into a channel towards the back of the RV.

I did find one interesting thing. If you remove the 3rd brakelight you will find a hole where the light wires come out of a about the size of a quarter that water from the AC or a heavy rain could find it's way into the inside of the RV.

I applied clear silicon to seal the hole.
Old 05-30-2019, 02:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

On my 2008 210P there is a rubber tube which goes down the passenger side rear corner and exits near the rear bumper.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2019, 08:37 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I am installing a drain tube from where the hole is in the tray down the passenger side rear corner and down to the bottom of the body.
Old 06-01-2019, 12:52 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by RAA357 View Post
I am installing a drain tube from where the hole is in the tray down the passenger side rear corner and down to the bottom of the body.
Finished installing the AC drain tube today, went to Lowe's and purchased
clear tubing and a tube of clear RTV Silicon. Cleaned out the bugs, wasp nest and other tidbits of debris that had made it's way into the AC compartment. Ran the tubing down the right side (Passenger side) inside edge
of the coach where the mounting brackets are for the RV shell,ending just below the bumper and tying it off at one of the brackets. You can just see @ 1" of the tubing if you know where to look.

After that was completed i took at good look all around the tray and used the RTV Silicon where the tray joints were and at the AC mounting points.

Let it set all day long in the 96 degree heat we have been having here in Florida for the past week.

Poured some water into the tray to where it came up to about 3/4s of the way to the top, stood back and watched the water flow out the end of the tube, went up and inspected the tray are and found no other water.

Total cost of materials: $15.00
Time involved: 5hrs
Old 06-01-2019, 01:03 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Good job. Always satisfying when you can do a nice repair yourself for so little cost.

I have a different, yet similarly built-in roof ac. I always try to park level or slightly elevated in the front. Avoiding potential rain and ac drainage problems by keeping a slope towards to the rear.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2019, 01:33 AM   #8
Platinum Member

We park ours with the nose elevated also. I made a pair of wooden steps that we take with us. I have heard and read from numerous RT owners that you should always try to park with the nose elevated to aid in the AC draining properly.

Now to get out and do some camping!
Old 06-01-2019, 02:05 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Now to get out and do some camping!
When it gets about 20 degrees cooler. Around here, and where you live, that's about 4 months away.
Old 06-02-2019, 07:02 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Yep quite a balancing act between keeping the frig level and other things draining,,
Life on the road ,,, If it was easy everyone would be doing it!
Safe travels
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 12:54 PM   #11
Bronze Member

How i can avoid common portable air conditioning mistake? if any one have good idea on that please mention me just key points.

thanks and awaiting for your kind response.
Jill Ellis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2019, 02:02 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jill Ellis View Post
How i can avoid common portable air conditioning mistake? if any one have good idea on that please mention me just key points.

thanks and awaiting for your kind response.
What is your year, make, and model of motor home? Are you talking about your roof a/c or a true portable unit that sits upright inside? This information will help with responses.
Old 05-05-2020, 05:34 PM   #13
Platinum Member

Quote:
That is what i found also. Removed the back fiberglass cover and inspected the AC. No drain hose or tube, just a drain hole in the lower right corner of the tray which the water flows into a channel towards the back of the RV.
I found that there was a drain hole on both the left and right side of the tray. However, the holes were partly blocked by the mount. So I drilled the mount and opened the hole to drain more freely. I assume it helps, but I have never had a water leak from the AC.
peteco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 11:36 AM   #14

Sometimes I'm just surprised by the ideas of mechanical engineering designers. I had a similar situation, only I was looking for a drain tube, as I began to accumulate water in the cabin. I thought that water leaks into the interior during heavy rain due to thinning of the gaskets on the door. But everything turned out to be ridiculously simpler, there was no drainage pipe, and everything fell into the cabin through the hole. Although the opening was small, there was enough water in the cabin to create a foul smell. I then helped the guys with airconservicingsingapore.com, advising them to seal the tube tightly to stop the machine from flooding.