Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2019, 11:56 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default All Class Bs come with OPTIONS Suggestions to Good or NOT Needed

When we buy vehicles the salesperson will give us a rundown on VEHICLE OPTIONS. So my questions as new owners or Class B owners with some insights, what options do you think to serve you the best. As many as you would like to share, please? Also the options you think would be the best for resale at some future point?

Thanks for your feedback
Dogman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2019, 02:50 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Normally you are stuck with whatever options the dealer ordered for the model on his lot. There is often the option of a special order from the factory with the options that you want.

My advice is to buy the options that give you the most of what you want and/or need for your usage.

As to what I wanted for my special order on my Roadtreks was... I wanted two AGMs giving me just over 200 amp hours. I wanted enough solar to keep them nicely topped up. I also wanted the 2nd alternator rather than the Onan.

Resale never enters my mind. When I am spending this amount of money, I want what I want now, not what some unknown future owner might want.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 05:46 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The safety features now available on most vehicles, some standard and some optional, are a game changer. They make the road safer for all of us. Functional rear cameras and cross traffic warning, lane monitoring, collision avoidance/emergency braking, traction control systems etc. I would never purchase a vehicle without these, especially a large one with limited visibility and slow/clumsy handling and stopping.
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 06:49 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default Also think about resale

Just like with automobiles and trucks, dealers love options as the margins are high for them. So it’s best to order the ones you like and or need and/or the ones that seem like a reasonable value. This is going to vary for each individual. Also good to keep in mind that some options probably help with resale value (e.g. a roof rack on a Travato) while others probably have little resale impact (e.g. special paint).
teck13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 07:21 PM   #5
Platinum Member

My two cents: if given the option of lithium batteries and/or solar ... go for the most lithium you can afford and skip the solar. Solar might be good for the south and south-west but other parts of the country not so much. A big lithium battery bank (with proper BMS) works rain or shine.
Old 11-14-2019, 07:34 PM   #6
Silver Member

Default Speaking of options, what about awnings ?

I am just curious. I realize that most class B's come with an awning, but on some (like Roadtrek) it is an option. It seems like one of those options that everyone wants until it breaks. Do you think an awning is a worthwhile option ?
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 08:30 PM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikes47 View Post
My two cents: if given the option of lithium batteries and/or solar ... go for the most lithium you can afford and skip the solar. Solar might be good for the south and south-west but other parts of the country not so much. A big lithium battery bank (with proper BMS) works rain or shine.
My advice would be just the opposite: Unless you need to run the A/C for many hours, forget the complexity and temperature hassles of lithium. Get a respectable-sized AGM setup (say 440 Ah), and add modest solar to keep it healthy while parked. Do that and you can stop thinking about your batteries for a long time.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:42 PM   #8
Bronze Member

If cost is an issue - don't buy new. If you're buying new, surely no option would sway the difference between buy or no buy. You are going to lose 30% once you sign the papers, and another 20% in the first two years. Do the options really matter at that point?
HitchNride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 09:53 PM   #9
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Belzar View Post
The safety features now available on most vehicles, some standard and some optional, are a game changer. They make the road safer for all of us. Functional rear cameras and cross traffic warning, lane monitoring, collision avoidance/emergency braking, traction control systems etc. I would never purchase a vehicle without these, especially a large one with limited visibility and slow/clumsy handling and stopping.
I'm not so sure all this tech makes us safer. The more we rely on tech to do our jobs (driving the vehicle) the less we are aware of our surroundings and what to do. If it goes down then we are in trouble. I'd be just about willing to bet that a majority of 20 somethings can't even read a map correctly, due to GPS.
Brad1998RD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:20 PM   #10
Platinum Member

I don't know. I welcome safety features. The lane change warnings wake you up and you learn to adapt and drive in your lane. You'd be surprised how many people cross white lines on blind turns where bike riders go. I'm fully aware with the beeping but now drive correctly without the beeping. Adaptive cruise control and closing in on a car ahead is a strong want. I already have the control that slams on your breaks if you take a turn too fast. I only experienced it once on a mountain hairpin turn going down hill. Once was enough.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2019, 10:55 PM   #11
Site Team

There is no question that modern vehicle safety features save many lives. It is simply an empirical fact. The statistics are clear. There is no way you can react as quickly in an emergency situation as these systems can. Plus, they have many more "eyes" than you do.

Kids today can't do long division, either. So what?
Old 11-15-2019, 01:07 PM   #12
Bronze Member

I guess I am a minimalist. We have a 1993 Roadtrek Verasatile and it has no water heater or awning or generator. It is the camper that my wife and I prefer. It has a great booth bed in the back and 4 seats and a table in the middle with the front seats turned around. It doesn't have an awning either. we just use an outdoor canopy over our campsite table. Easy up and down and if it breaks it was only $50. Anyway we have had many pleasant trips in ours without all the options that keep it at the dealer for repair. We also have a Leisure travel Freedom that has the finicky Onan 2800 and the electric couch that makes a terrible bed. The front seats are comfortable but won't fully swivel like the Roadtrek. We have never used the shower and the water heater only once. KISS is my moto when it comes to campers. Oh yes, I also have 2 VW Westfalias. Now that is truly minimalist!
vwmaniaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2019, 01:21 PM   #13
Platinum Member

"I'm not so sure all this tech makes us safer.."

When anti-lock brakes first came out people back back then were claiming they could "pump" their brakes more effectively than the computer. No! And making driving more dangerous does not increase driver attention.

I do agree that safety features are no substitute for good driving. Having lane assist does not mean one doesn't need to check mirrors before changing lanes and adaptive cruise control and lane assist is not an "auto-pilot".
Belzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 04:52 AM   #14

Default Get the screens from ROLEF

ROLEF in Canada makes the most amazing screens for Class B Vans. They are a must!
Campingprincess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:26 PM   #15
Bronze Member

My thoughts are that on the living side it all depends on how, when and where you will travel, AND what makes you comfortable enough to want to keep going. All that is very personal and while you gang get perspective gained from experience here, you cannot assume anyone here has THE answer for you. For instance: Avanti sees no need for lithium, I love my lithium system. I believe we are both right.
jaak1993 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2019, 02:42 PM   #16
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaak1993 View Post
Avanti sees no need for lithium, I love my lithium system. I believe we are both right.
I actually agree with idleUp on this one:
If you really want all-night A/C, then lithium is the only real choice right now. (Whether you want this or not is where your "we are both right" sentiment applies.)

Otherwise, I see no reason to encumber the costs (financial, complexity and--most importantly--temperature hassles) of lithium. In my 3500, the weight difference is in the noise, and the Great West Vans floor-hatch storage space is easily capacious enough for four large AGMs.

OTOH, I fully-recognize that some folks get great pleasure in living on the bleeding edge. I am often one of them. In this case, though, I restrain myself.
Old 11-18-2019, 12:30 AM   #17
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
I
Otherwise, I see no reason to encumber the costs (financial, complexity and--most importantly--temperature hassles) of lithium. In my 3500, the weight difference is in the noise, and the Great West Vans floor-hatch storage space is easily capacious enough for four large AGMs.

OTOH, I fully-recognize that some folks get great pleasure in living on the bleeding edge. I am often one of them. In this case, though, I restrain myself.
I'm probably guilty on that "bleeding edge" this time, though I admit inspiration from Davydd's just being able to ignore electricity. I wanted that but admit I could live without it.

While we haven't been in temps below the mid 20's yet, given the battery heater arrangement no problems or complications have arisen.

Yup, it was more expensive, a lot more. To me it has been worth thus far.

If the system is more complex I don't notice it, so it probably is more complex in some ways and less in others.

I say none of this to refute what Avanti says, I'm just sharing what his thoughts prompted to think about. I really admire and respect his thinking and am always glad to hear from him.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:00 AM   #18
Site Team

Quote:
While we haven't been in temps below the mid 20's yet, given the battery heater arrangement no problems or complications have arisen. .
The temperature issues, as I see it, are less during use than during storage. I completely agree that well-designed battery heating pads make it a non-issue when under way. Storage is also a non-issue if (like DavyDD) you have constant access to shore power. But, in my case, the vehicle is stored outdoors in a storage facility that has no power available. In this scenario lithium is a huge hassle in frigid weather. It looks like those new batteries that ARV is starting to offer may largely solve this problem, which is great.

So once again, as you say, it all depends on individual circumstances.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:19 AM   #19
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
The temperature issues, as I see it, are less during use than during storage. I completely agree that well-designed battery heating pads make it a non-issue when under way. Storage is also a non-issue if (like DavyDD) you have constant access to shore power. But, in my case, the vehicle is stored outdoors in a storage facility that has no power available. In this scenario lithium is a huge hassle in frigid weather. It looks like those new batteries that ARV is starting to offer may largely solve this problem, which is great.

So once again, as you say, it all depends on individual circumstances.
In our case the van is stored at home where we have shore power. Still, I make sure the battery is fully charged and then shut everything down. I think if the battery needed charging and was too cold to accept it, when I plugged in the 120 heaters in the battery would kick in and when the batteries got warm enough, could take a few days, the charging would commence. Alternatively, with the batteries needing charging and being cold, I could drive with my second alternator providing sufficient current to run the heaters via the inverter and somewhere down the road, likely way down, the charging could commence.

My basic plan is to store it with full batteries in cold weather, plug in a couple days before departing, and head for some place warm. As my girlfriend says, warm is always better.
Old 11-18-2019, 01:36 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
In our case the van is stored at home where we have shore power. Still, I make sure the battery is fully charged and then shut everything down. I think if the battery needed charging and was too cold to accept it, when I plugged in the 120 heaters in the battery would kick in and when the batteries got warm enough, could take a few days, the charging would commence. Alternatively, with the batteries needing charging and being cold, I could drive with my second alternator providing sufficient current to run the heaters via the inverter and somewhere down the road, likely way down, the charging could commence.

My basic plan is to store it with full batteries in cold weather, plug in a couple days before departing, and head for some place warm. As my girlfriend says, warm is always better.
I am less worried about charging, for the reasons you state. That can always be worked around. I am worried about the batteries freezing and being damaged in really frigid weather.

Tags
class b resale, feedback, new purchase, options