Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-26-2015, 12:29 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Comparing B+'s

I am looking to fulltime in an RV here in San Francisco. It wouldn't be as hard as some would think.
I currently own a Eurovan Full Camper which I will be selling if it ever gets out of the shop.

I have been looking at all kinds of options in the B market, but just stumbled upon B+'s and I think the layouts would work much better for me fulltiming and the tank sizes and more convenient.

Here are some of my needs:
1. I would like to keep my length under 22ft but I would possibly go 1-2 ft larger.
2. 2000-2006 Ford E350 chassis
3. $20k - $40k price
4. One piece fiberglass
5. A dinette or area to build a computer workspace
6. A propane oven or room for an oven.
7. Not a permanent bed. I prefer a jacknife couch
8. High quality build materials and construction
9. Large tanks.
10. Good ventilation/ large windows/ opening windows

Here are some bonus wants:
1.solar pre-wire
2. good insulation
3. heated tanks
4. quality electrical system
5. room for at least two coach batteries

I have narrowed it down to the following coaches, listed in order of most favorite to least favorite - at the moment. I still have a lot to learn.

1. 2000-2003 Chinook Concourse.
I can't afford any newer. They seem to have higher prices, but a loyal following and great quality. I also like that some have been converted to 4x4. They also are the most visually appealing to me, also seem to be the smallest exterior dimensions out of my list.

2. 2004-2006 Coachmen BTouring Cruiser.
A bit larger in width and height than the Chinook, but the prices are really good. Easy to find a 2004 with low miles in the low $20k. Seems like quality build and materials. I would be interested to compare the drivability of this compared to a Concourse. I really like the layout and the amount of space compared to the Concourse. Does this feel a lot bigger when driving and parking?

3. 2001ish Coach House Platinum. I think the 232 is the only short model? I don't know much about these, but they look nice and sleek on the outside. The quality looks good. A little weird having the toilet out in the open, but I could figure something out. The prices seem to be even higher than Chinooks. I would appreciate any more info about these.

4. Born Free Built For Two. I don't know much about these either, except they seem to be rare, and I am not sure if I want a rare coach, its nice to have the support base of other owners.

Please people who have experience with any of these vehicle - Let me know your likes/dislikes and comparison thoughts.
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-26-2015, 01:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I assume by full-fiberglass you mean the roof. Any RV in this age range is nearing life-end on a rubber roof and all the problems that entails.

I think the Chinook should be at the top of your list. The layout is pretty terrific and they are nice and short in length. BT Cruisers are cheap for a reason. Most products with the Coachmen brand are pretty poorly constructed. I think you'll find the Coach House is too big for what you are wanting to do. Born Free's are pretty rare in my experience, you almost never see them - but probably the closest to the Chinook you'll find.

Good luck in your search. I'd like to hear more about how you intend to drive and park in SF. I'd imagine that the property owners are pretty militant about stray RV's parking around town.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:06 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by wincrasher View Post

Good luck in your search. I'd like to hear more about how you intend to drive and park in SF. I'd imagine that the property owners are pretty militant about stray RV's parking around town.
Quite the contrary. People in this city could care less about rv's on the street in front of their house. Much worse happening than RV's parking. And even if somebody does complain, the cops/muni have better things to do than knock on RV doors. There are neighborhoods here with hundreds of RV's. Unfortunately a lot of them are in horrible shape, with tarped roofs and cardboard windows. They are really giving a bad name to urban campers, and already some neigborhoods are putting restrictions, but like I said, not many people enforcing it, or not that many complaints happening. Just google street view and you will see Rv's all over the place. I know of people who have been doing it for 10 plus years here in the city. https://goo.gl/maps/vZRQuCevoPu LA, San Francisco, Portland, Seattle, Vancouver seem to all be very RV tolerant cities. Its the smaller towns where people feel like they own the public street in front of their house.
eurovanman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2015, 12:38 AM   #4
Platinum Member

I have always liked the Born Free. The appear to have a good reputation. Can't say if the roof is fiberglass.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote