Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-07-2022, 05:28 PM   #1

Default Extended Warrenty any advice?

I'm hoping to get my EKKO this year and I'm considering an extended warrenty but being a newbie and I have no idea where to begin. Should I just take advice of dealer? REC VAN of Fremont, they appear reputable.

Cheers!
Lee
BikerMonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 05:33 PM   #2
Site Team

Extended warranties from an OEM may under rare circumstances make financial sense. Those from third parties are ALWAYS a ridiculously foolish purchase. OEM warranties are sold by dealers who sell the chassis your RV is built upon. (NOT necessarily the one you or your upfitter bought yours from). Any warranty being sold by an RV dealer is very likely NOT from an OEM. It is possible that the upfitter could offer extended warranties, but I do not believe that is common.

This has been discussed at length in the past. Try the SEARCH function.

If you choose to proceed anyway, make sure the warranty you purchase is "exclusionary". This means that it covers everything except a written list of exclusions. "Inclusionary" warranties (i.e., those that only cover enumerated items) are sucker bait.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-07-2022, 07:37 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BikerMonkey View Post
I'm hoping to get my EKKO this year and I'm considering an extended warrenty but being a newbie and I have no idea where to begin. Should I just take advice of dealer? REC VAN of Fremont, they appear reputable.

Cheers!
Lee
FB has a Ekko owners and wannabees. If you join, you can post/search for an answer to question. I understand most owners complain about the window bug screens since they do not keep out the pesky no seeums? You can also read about the most common issues are and how owners have corrected themselves.

Best of Luck
Old 08-08-2022, 12:30 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Many, if not most, of us totally avoid extended warranties on anything and everything. Most of them are rip-offs and often don't cover the expensive stuff. Personally I would take the overpriced premium that they charge and put it into a separate bank account to pay for repairs. Add a bit now and again, and you have self-insured and saved money.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-08-2022, 03:20 AM   #5
Platinum Member

No.

when "offered" a warranty ( often 3rd party)

I suggest to the dealer that if they have such a poor image of their product's reliability then perhaps I need something else, something reliable
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:15 PM   #6

My experience with good Sam club extended warranty was very positive. 99 Rialta had a transmission go bad while going through Johnson City Tennessee. Paid $7500 including room in a motel for repair time, rental car and some meals.
That's who I would suggest you check out.
lidney is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 04:16 PM   #7
Silver Member

I like the people Rec Van and we bought our Solis from La Mesa RV San Diego and my only complaint was the hard sell on the Warranty. We caved in and went for it and regret it now 2 years later. My suggestion is DO NOT TAKE THE EXTENED WARRANTY!
pacificstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 06:36 PM   #8

Default Peace of mind

By the numbers, extended warranties are like any other insurance, a waste of money if it's not needed, a God send if needed. Whichever your experience will dictate your feelings. It’s an expensive piece of mind for sure. I you have a savings account or don’t mind hitting a credit card for an expensive repair, there you go. If you’d rather have it be someone else's problem and want to roll it into your payments, that would be the answer.

Someone that never needed a fire extinguisher or fire arm probably has opposing feelings to those whom have.

Shop rates and component costs have sky rocketed. If you haven’t had an expensive repair lately, you’re in for a SHOCK!
Dreadnaught is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2022, 10:46 PM   #9
Site Team

Extended warranties are in a narrow technical sense a kind of insurance. But in reality, they are vastly different. Real insurance (life, health, liability, auto) operate in highly regulated markets and there are many consumer protections from the kinds of exploitation and fraud that would otherwise be inevitable. You can more or less count on not being grossly overcharged and that the insurance company has assets to back their promises.

Extended warranties lack all but the most basic consumer protections. They are virtually ALWAYS grossly overpriced, subject to many kinds of tricks and deceptions that make them look like a better value than they are, and are extremely unlikely to pay their customers more than they collect from them. The fact that there are isolated exceptions by "lucky" customers proves nothing.

If you want a random example to get a feel how extended warranty companies manage to be extremely profitable, read here:

https://www.bbb.org/us/mo/saint-pete...296/complaints
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2022, 07:31 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Default Extended Warranties

My advice on extended warranty programs has always been the same: Don't!
First of all, consider that you are buying a product on which the seller expects to make a profit...a big profit. The salespeople in the dealerships typically make large commissions on these policies. which are more properly referred to in the industry as Service Policies because they are not really warranties.

In many cases they are highly exclusionary in what they cover and require you to follow very specific procedures in order for the claim to be considered valid. If you are stuck out in Jackass Flats with a breakdown you may not have any choice, you take what is there.

My advice is to get a good roadside assistance program (Good Sam and FMCA have gotten good reviews, AAA is variable, some good some bad, but be sure to get the RV program and not the standard auto program). Then take the money you would put in the Extended Warranty and put it in the bank for a rainy day when you have a problem. Unless you are exceedingly unlucky you will likely come out ahead. Of course, you are essentially self insuring so it is dependant on your tolerance for risk.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
extended warranty, warranty