Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-25-2018, 05:28 PM   #1

Default folding mattress pad

Hello and thank you for listening.
I have a new Sprinter Winnebago ERA 170X.

The rear bench seat folds into the bed. It is very uncomfortable.

Does anyone have any recommendations for a 'portable' mattress or pad that will not take up much space?

Thank you !
piperdan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-25-2018, 06:11 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Froli and mattress pad

I don’t what is the actual problem with your bed, perhaps permanent modification by adding Froli system Froli Sleep Systems by Nickle Atlantic, LLC would help, it would certainly be a major upholstery job.

My sofa bed is very comfortable but I added a very thick mattress pad which I roll before changing from bed to sofa. In the sofa position it is behind it, taking otherwise useless space. Perhaps you can do the same with rolled thin mattress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Intelitec (1 of 1).JPG (376.5 KB, 59 views)
File Type: jpg Intelitec (1 of 3).JPG (377.7 KB, 47 views)
File Type: jpg Intelitec (2 of 3).JPG (376.2 KB, 42 views)
File Type: jpg Intelitec (3 of 3).JPG (361.4 KB, 41 views)
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 02:45 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I bought 2 mattress toppers for the beds in my Roadtrek. I'm very pleased with the quality and feel. They are also available in custom sizes.

https://www.mattressinsider.com
Old 10-27-2018, 03:38 PM   #4
Gold Member

The thicker and more comfortable a mattress topper you choose, the bulkier it is. The typical dilemma for those of us with foldable couch beds (we chose fixed bed in our newer B+ for this very reason.)

I strongly recommend a memory foam topper. You could try a 2” which rolls into into about a 1 foot diameter tube shape. A thicker one becomes a bit more difficult as rolling it up will eventually rip the foam. When we used our thicker Costco 5”, we generally left the bed down during a trip. But ohhhh so comfy. The downside is you start sleeping in!
Bertiboo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2018, 09:55 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I designed my rock & roll sofa bed from the ground up, after the frame’s sections were topped with the ½ Baltic lightweight plywood I brought 3 of them to the local upholstery shop. I was very clear that the bed needs to provide reasonable comfort for sitting and sleeping. He used slightly different density foam for 2 rear section and harder foam for the sitting area, all sections have about 6” high foam. He built-up the front section’s front about 1” for sitting comfort to simulate a slightly tilted seat.

The sofa bed is very comfortable for day or night, at night we can’t feel 2 joints between the sections. We used perforated vinyl with fiber batting layer below to add some breathability. For making bed we roll out about 2” bed topper https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B0...?ie=UTF8&psc=1
to improve breathability and eliminate direct contact with vinyl. Overall, very comfortable bed and good sitting.

Based on this experience I would recommend to take your RV with a sofa/bed to a good upholstery shop to redo upholstery with either appropriate foam or by adding Froli springs instead dealing with a heavy foam topper every night.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:33 PM   #6

Default 170X Mattress Pad

I also have a ERA 170X, 2017 model. I noticed the 2018 model made the seat cushions that make the forward edge of the bed thinner. My bed feels like you're crawling out of a hole with the thicker cushions . I bought the Costco memory foam topper. With this and removing those seat cushions it is much better acces and more comfortable for sleeping. Only only thing is it does not store well. So when the two of us travel I leave the bed down. I don't like this as TV time is only done in bed and you loose floor space. Since we are both under 5'8" I am considering sleeping width wise. This way I can still use the sofa with the mattress on it and open up the floor area. Perhaps a thinner mattress would be easier to manage.
I complained heavily to WInnebago. They claimed the frame was bent and replaced it. Of course it didn't make it better. According to camping world earlier models made a better bed, but customers complained about the lousy sofa. I haven't seen that model but I think it is more important as a bed since traveling with 7 passengers is only for site seeing or short day trips. It only sleeps two people so I configure it for each usage.
mhmerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 04:42 PM   #7

Default Winnebago contact

Thank you so much for your suggestions.

Does anyone know how I can contact Winnebago and actually get someone?

I can't believe the way they designed that seat. They should make the designers spend a week attempting to sleep on the seat without a topper!
piperdan2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 06:01 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default alternatives to mattresses

Here are some alternatives to a custom mattress:

Consider an inflatable bed. This minimizes the storage problem when you're not using it, but you'll need an air pump to prepare the bed every night.

A foam mattress topper can also smooth out the irregularities in RV cushions. Memory foam won't store away any smaller, but it does roll up easy.
Nic7320 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-01-2018, 08:25 PM   #9
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nic7320 View Post
Here are some alternatives to a custom mattress:

Consider an inflatable bed. This minimizes the storage problem when you're not using it, but you'll need an air pump to prepare the bed every night.

A foam mattress topper can also smooth out the irregularities in RV cushions. Memory foam won't store away any smaller, but it does roll up easy.
Why not BOTH? There are inflatable/foam mattresses out there!

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote