Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2016, 03:45 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Gasser transit "C"s?

Looks like Forest River is putting class "C"s on the Transit gasser platform. Both Sunseeker and Coachmen have models. The Coachmen has no slide-outs, while the Sunseeker has one model that has a full walkaround queen bed, but everything scrunched up towards the front, and another model similar to the Fuse 23A, except with a couch instead of a dinette.

This gets me curious. Would these be useful rigs worth checking out? I worry about them being underpowered, not because I worry about it being a sports car, but because not getting up to highway speeds can be dangerous. Similar if I head to Colorado, because the cutaway "C"s don't have the EcoBoost engine as an option for gasoline, so the NA 3.6 would definitely lose power at higher elevations.

Think it might be an alternative to a diesel Transit model?
mlts22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2016, 07:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

using a rental pass transit this week- cruises at over 80 no problem but up hill it really slows.
not sure of which motor is in there.
front 2 seats are fine for short periods, but oddly padded and become painful at 2 hours+
downshifts are rough and noisy.

chassis drives, handles, steers well- brake pedal requires a big leg lift- once you are used to it probably fine, but first jumping in I'm glad I didn;t need to find in a hurry.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 07:49 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The gas Transit is more then enough power. Still dont get why they are using the deisel in the B+ models. Why not differentiate it more from a Sprinter? There are people like me who WANT gas.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2016, 08:39 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mrshowtime3 View Post
The gas Transit is more then enough power. Still dont get why they are using the deisel in the B+ models. Why not differentiate it more from a Sprinter? There are people like me who WANT gas.
Even more curious to me is why they aren't using the turbo V6 instead of the NA. It has been in the pickups for quite a while now. Perhaps the continuous heavy loads and bad aero go beyond the design limits of the setup. I know there were some issues with them turning the boost down when towing, do to heat dissipation issues, with the pickups.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2016, 01:26 AM   #5
Platinum Member

My guess is that the majority of the Transit cutaways are going to commercial customers for box trucks or other commercial configurations, not for Class Cs. The commercial buyers would typically go for the standard gas or the diesel with not much demand for the EcoBoost at this time for those buyers. If the Class C market shows a demand for the EcoBoost they will probably add it as an option.
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote