Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-10-2021, 07:40 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Heat pump operation

I have a 2006 C190. To operate the heat pump in the AC mode is it required to be level as the refrigerator must be? I can't find any information about this. Thank you in advance.
55 Nomad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 07:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

To my knowledge, a heat pump is just the ac running in reverse. If your van is comfortably level, then that should be fine.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2021, 08:04 PM   #3
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Nomad View Post
I have a 2006 C190. To operate the heat pump in the AC mode is it required to be level as the refrigerator must be? I can't find any information about this. Thank you in advance.
No, but Roadtrek having that Feature was a mistake, or worse.

If you have shore power or generator don't run you're LOUD noisy ac, use a quiet simple electrical heater.

Worse: when the part that switches your ac running in reverse fails, all you'll have is heat! ac removal is then necessary
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2021, 08:50 PM   #4
Silver Member

I was referring to the Air Conditioning (AC) which is the Dometic heat pump. So my question is how far from level can the van be for the air conditioner to work correctly? I would like to run the air conditioner in my driveway. To be level I have to raise one end about 8". Thanks
Old 08-12-2021, 02:13 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 55 Nomad View Post
I was referring to the Air Conditioning (AC) which is the Dometic heat pump. So my question is how far from level can the van be for the air conditioner to work correctly? I would like to run the air conditioner in my driveway. To be level I have to raise one end about 8". Thanks
My drivway slopes about as much as yours. I've had no problem running my Coleman Mach 8 rooftop ac on that slant. In your case, just make sure the back end is lower to drain condensation and prevent rain intrusion.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2021, 02:23 AM   #6
Silver Member

Thanks rowiebowie. Yes most of the time it is parked rear down for drainage.
Old 08-15-2021, 06:44 PM   #7
Platinum Member

You don’t need to worry about it being level. It’s not like the absorption fridge. It’s a compressor. Ex HVAC Tech
ChicagoTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2021, 09:40 PM   #8
Platinum Member

No, the Heat pump/AC does not use the same cooling mechanism as the fridge. The HP/AC uses a compressor just like a home AC unit. It uses a reversing valve to exchange the Hot/cold sides of the coils. IE: in the cooling mode the inside coil gets cold and the outside coil get hot. In the HP mode the inside coil gets hot and the outside coil gets cold (er). The fridge uses a non compressor Ammonia/water adsorbtion cycle driven by heat to provide the cooling. The fluid/gas mix moves by convection and gravity hence the system must be level to operate properly.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2021, 01:52 PM   #9

the Kool Kat combination heat pump and AC in my 07 TR190P does not require being on the level. older refrigerators did because parking vehicles on slopes greater than 5 degrees made it impossible for the refrigerant to adequately circulate. as an aside be sure to exercise the switch panel for the ac / heat pump unit every couple of weeks. the most common problem w these units is a sticky main switch . i disagree w the above poster who said these units were prone to failure , i've hd them in 2 different RTs since 2005 --- and neither have had any failures whatsoever.
CareyM is offline   Reply With Quote