Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-17-2021, 01:23 AM   #1

Default Help & advise B+ or Winnebago view

I presently tow a 25’ trailer with a crew cab pickup
I’m thinking it would be simpler if I drove a MH instead. Would not want to tow a car, if I’m towing something I’ll stick with a trailer.
Looking for something easy to drive and maneuver. Using to shop and go out to eat & go to the beach.
2 people for 3 months at a time in FL.

Is a small class c too much of a hassle to leave a campground 3 to 4 times week?

I’m Still sharp at 72 but looking for simpler options.
Amsoilman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 01:49 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amsoilman View Post
I’m thinking it would be simpler if I drove a MH instead. Would not want to tow a car, if I’m towing something I’ll stick with a trailer.
Looking for something easy to drive and maneuver. Using to shop and go out to eat & go to the beach.

Is a small class c too much of a hassle to leave a campground 3 to 4 times week?
Three months at the same campsite? Stick with the trailer. Three months at a number of different places throughout Florida, maybe a motorhome.

For me, changing campsites once a week or more would tip me toward a motorhome. OTOH, more than a couple of day outings per week would tip me toward a towable. And even a small Class C may run into parking difficulties in metro areas.

Just my own biases and preferences, to be taken with a grain of salt.
Old 03-17-2021, 12:32 PM   #3

Most stays are 2 weeks then move to another campground. The part that gets to me most is the 1500 miles between MI and FL. Traffic can be A challenge sometimes.
Old 03-17-2021, 02:50 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Check out Stef and James at the FitRV.com. They are moving up from a small Class B to a relatively small Class C for some insights. I'm moving from an extended van 24 ft. Sprinter to a 19' shorty Sprinter to park in a standard car stall. We all have our own criteria. Mine is I travel frequently and don't stay in one place more than a few days. I've traveled to 49 states and all the Canadian provinces and have gone to almost all the national parks you can get to by a motorhome. My greatest frustration are cities despite a Class B van and I am an architect that should be going to cities. It occurred to me I was subconsciously avoiding cities. It's my last frontier.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:29 PM   #5
Platinum Member

There is a third option, and that’s downsizing your towing set-up. A trailer in the 19-21’ range, under 5000# gross weight, towable by a larger crossover or compact truck might feel a bit more nimble in traffic and still give you the use of a daily driver during the week without breaking camp. Of course now we're talking about a wet bath and smaller main bed- no more walk-around queen- but I think you find the same in smaller Class C’s too.

On the other hand, if you’re simply tired of the whole towing thing, you certainly aren’t the first. Get the motorhome and figure it out as you go. You’ll naturally adjust your rhythms to fit the new equipment. I predict you’ll be a bit more selective and not as spontaneous about those day excursions. On the plus side you may find you wander around a bit more to different places, because it's easier to pack up and go.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-17-2021, 03:46 PM   #6

We have had a Casita 16 years ago so we’re familiar with them. We don’t camp in the summer as we have a lake house. Just the 3 months in the winter.
Old 03-21-2021, 09:53 PM   #7
Bronze Member

We just recently sold our 2017 Navion (View). That was a bit of a downsize from our previous Class C. Loved the Sprinter, except the exceptionally bad rear suspension. And always worried about the Diesel having sensor/DEF/etc. problems down the road. The Winnebago part of the package was OK, except for the shitty craftsmanship of the workers. If you own one, plan to fix a lot of the stuff they got wrong, left off, stripped out, did not tighten, etc. But for the price, I would rate it more than fair - nobody else's Class C at the same price point is any better.

I did mention I sold it. I ordered a 2021 Sprinter 2500 170 gas engine cargo van back in November to do a Class B conversion myself. I already have stockpiled most of the components - and unlike most every other trailer, Class B or C, it will have actually good, premium components. Anyway, I got a surprise call Friday that it had arrived at the dealership, so now I have to get to work.

Amsoilman, there is not a perfect RV, and most of us can't afford more than one, so good luck to you. Read all the comments and past experiences of others and decide for yourself. I gave you my history of the three that I have owned. Looked hard at trailers, and very difficult to not choose a trailer - more room for the money and the ability to park it and take your truck into town. But somehow, that is just not what we wanted. My wife (and I), love to be able to get up & walk back to the fridge & get a drink or snack, or lay down a minute, or ....whatever.

Good luck.
Philip53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 09:57 PM   #8
Bronze Member

We have a 24' Sprinter/Sportsmobile. We used to camp in trailers. I can't say I'm familiar with every trailer on the market, but I can't imagine being able to pull a 25 footer and remain within the GVWR, GCWR, and hitch weight limits of any of the larger Sprinter based motorhomes, either a Class B or B+. The tow limit on any Sprinter is 5,000 lbs, unless the newer ones have a higher limit (ours is a 2016). It makes no difference if it started life as a fully built van or a cab and chassis. We used to tow a 22 foot "ultralite" trailer that weighed about 4,400, fully loaded for camping. The hitch weight on that trailer came in about 490 lbs, which was just below the limit for our Toyota 4Runner. You also need to look very carefully at the realistic carrying capacity of any Sprinter B+ you consider. Our Sportsmobile weighs about 9,400 lbs with everything on board, including us. The van has a GVWR of 11,030, which gives us plenty of room. We have looked at several Sprinter Class B+ models which would have a realistic carrying capacity in the 400-500 lb range without even the driver onboard.
mechmike10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 10:40 PM   #9
Gold Member

Default Picking the Right for you RV etc.

Quote:

Hello and all good input from travelers. I agree with most and have a Travato 2020 59K which I love for the parking, set up, and gas mileage. The next size up is a better for longer trips and stays so maybe the Wonder at 24' and like most B pluses would fit the bill but expensive. A class C is a bit cheaper but to boxy for me and terrible on gas mileage (brick on wheels LOL). I find a trailer which I had (20' Sonic)) and towed nicely at 3800lbs was good for longer stays (it had a dry bath compared to a wet bath). I always like to fun with RV folk as I set up quickly. I am down to a total of about 12 minutes set up, for everything with my wife's help turning on systems. Oh with a 12v refridge the leveling is not as important. It is a choice or balance. We live in Florida and making the one trip to Ohio mid summer (maybe up to Canada) so it will be interesting as we try to follow the 200-300 mile a day, get in by 2:00-4:00 and stay 2 to 3 days rule, unless we are pushing. The big question is Class B, B+ or C. Please let us all know what you end up with and why. I would check around with some of the Winnebago clubs to see who prefers what and why. I am going to be 70 and know that it is sure harder to get down to connect, and level, plus lift heavy things.
Best wishes and safe travels everyone. Oh PS the B is easy to clean.
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-21-2021, 11:21 PM   #10

To add on to what the previous respondent said about towing an light, under 25 ft. trailer: take a look at the Snoozy 2 campers. They are 14.75 ft (19 with trailer tongue). Made of fiberglass. Nothing on roof, so no leaks (A/C is on back). Has Jackknife sofa, queen bed, wet bath & microwave. It's light enough to be SUV towable, too. They are located in South Carolina.

My hubby & I have been debating pros & cons of small travel trailer vs. short class B. I like the idea of a class B because it's all one unit. I don't have to hitch up in the rain, etc. However, we do like the idea of a very small travel trailer and being able to drop it to drive a smaller vehicle. Pros & cons to each
SopranoKris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 02:09 PM   #11

Default Drivable or Towed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jon in AZ View Post
Three months at the same campsite? Stick with the trailer. Three months at a number of different places throughout Florida, maybe a motorhome.

For me, changing campsites once a week or more would tip me toward a motorhome. OTOH, more than a couple of day outings per week would tip me toward a towable. And even a small Class C may run into parking difficulties in metro areas.

Just my own biases and preferences, to be taken with a grain of salt.
I agree with Jon in AZ, I have a RT Zion because I like to travel and only stay in one spot 1 or 2 nights. It crosses my mind occasionally that it would be more comfortable (full bath) with a trailer, but then I watch others try to back into their site or pull into crowded fuel stops and restaurant parking lots and I remember why I bought the class B in the first place.
Old_Traveler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2021, 11:51 PM   #12

Default We have decided

We have decided to stay with our current trailer as we really like it. It’s a tough decision to change and I appreciate everyone’s input. That may change as we get older. Stay safe and happy camping
Old 03-31-2021, 11:24 AM   #13

We had a class A, now have a Class B and are so much happier. We unhook in the morning and go. The beauty is your facilities are with you where ever you are. BUT....we have a coachmen galleria LI3. No generator. We park on main st. USA, go shopping, have lunch etc, and leave the ac on, refridge on and all is quiet. You can’t run a generator in public so really consider the electric versions made. When at home I still use it for longer shopping runs or appointments just to have the comforts of home with me. You have a good idea, consider the B for size.
Winetime1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 02:47 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
We have had a Casita 16 years ago so we’re familiar with them. We don’t camp in the summer as we have a lake house. Just the 3 months in the winter.

Lake House- is that an invitation???
( we love Michigan)

Is there are option to store your towed trailer in FL to save the stress on the drive down ?
If over winter is really the only time you use it.

This could be an economical choice.

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2021, 04:24 PM   #15
Gold Member

Quote:

We are enjoying our 21' Travato K59 (watch out for the knock offs being less quality) and it drives and parks very well. Great gas milage (17-19 mpg) I have hooking everything up, down to about 12 minutes with my wife's help. The 12v ref ridge allows less leveling. We are in our 70's and find this RV good for going out 2-4 weeks. Longer trips will be interesting, but I have created a few ways to expand (trade secret) storage and room. We love the Unity and Wonder Class B plus RV's for more room and longer stays, but harder to park etc. People sure like these Van RV's and this is the year of the Class B. PS all state parks in FL are full and the tourists in the Keys are overwhelming. Be safe and enjoy while you can.
Beachlife is offline   Reply With Quote