Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-15-2021, 01:53 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default How to fix fiberglass damage to entry door?

An idiot (me) left the gate open.

An idiot (me) didn't check before backing the RV into it's home parking place.

Fortunately the idiot Driver (again me) was backing slowly and stopped quickly when he heard a BANG.

A silver dollar size area of fiberglass was damaged leaving some of the entry door's styrofoam backing exposed.

My first repair thought was removing the door and then the door's latch and window in order to remove the entire fiberglas panel and replace it. I'd probably destroy the entire door trying to fix it.

My second thought is why not just fill in the damage area with Bondo, sand smooth and try to match the paint?

My final thought was this repair job requires an expert.

A quick Internet search revealed three RV repair shops in my immediate area. I called the closest one just before noon. They asked if I could bring it to them at 1 PM (after their lunch hour) so they could take a look at it? From what I read on this forum two to three months lead time is normal. I said I'll be there!

The Owner looked over the damage. I told him my ideas on how to fix. He told me the correct way was to replace the entire door. BUT finding a door for a twelve year old coach that went out of production four years ago and replacement decals and color to match would be near impossible.

The Owner discussed with me some options and ideas. One of his suggestions I really liked!!!!!!!!! His response to me asking for an appointment was to tell me they'd fix it while I was there! Two workers and and less then an hour later the door was fixed as good as new (IMHO) and I was on my way home.

Can you tell where the door was damaged and then repaired?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Born Free door repair.jpg (216.1 KB, 37 views)
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2021, 02:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Want a B View Post
An idiot (me) left the gate open.

An idiot (me) didn't check before backing the RV into it's home parking place.

Fortunately the idiot Driver (again me) was backing slowly and stopped quickly when he heard a BANG.

A silver dollar size area of fiberglass was damaged leaving some of the entry door's styrofoam backing exposed.

My first repair thought was removing the door and then the door's latch and window in order to remove the entire fiberglas panel and replace it. I'd probably destroy the entire door trying to fix it.

My second thought is why not just fill in the damage area with Bondo, sand smooth and try to match the paint?

My final thought was this repair job requires an expert.

A quick Internet search revealed three RV repair shops in my immediate area. I called the closest one just before noon. They asked if I could bring it to them at 1 PM (after their lunch hour) so they could take a look at it? From what I read on this forum two to three months lead time is normal. I said I'll be there!

The Owner looked over the damage. I told him my ideas on how to fix. He told me the correct way was to replace the entire door. BUT finding a door for a twelve year old coach that went out of production four years ago and replacement decals and color to match would be near impossible.

The Owner discussed with me some options and ideas. One of his suggestions I really liked!!!!!!!!! His response to me asking for an appointment was to tell me they'd fix it while I was there! Two workers and and less then an hour later the door was fixed as good as new (IMHO) and I was on my way home.

Can you tell where the door was damaged and then repaired?
Good folks to repair fiberglass with gelcoat damage are in marine/boating shops.

I assume your repair is hidden under aluminum plate.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-16-2021, 04:02 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Good folks to repair fiberglass with gelcoat damage are in marine/boating shops.

I assume your repair is hidden under aluminum plate.
That would be my guess too, but only because I was alerted to a "hidden" repair. Otherwise, the diamond plate looks nice and I would have assumed it to be original.

Nice solution.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote