Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2021, 02:46 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default My first time winterized S.K.I. experience.

My first time winterized S.K.I. experience.

First I read posts on the pro and cons of winterizing the water lines utilizing RV antifreeze or by using compressed air. I’m not going to debate one method over the other, just relaying my experience.

This being my first time wintering an RV I went with simple (for me). I already owned an air compressor and a quick trip to the hardware provided the fittings to connect the air compressor hose to the City Water connection on S.K.I.

Drained the water heater and water tank. Air compressor set at 20 psi. Open one faucet at a time (start high with the shower and worked low) and left faucet open until air spit out. Repeat procedure on all faucets again. Pour plenty of RV antifreeze down the sinks and shower drain. I’ll find out in the spring…

…Spring! Fill the water tank with just enough water to check for leaks. The water strainer ( Shurflo 255-313) on the water pump inlet the water didn’t get removed, froze and broke the clear cover off. Pump (and strainer) are both mounted considerably higher than the water tank drain. Strainer should have drained by gravity?! On closer inspection Strainer is full of scale that may have blocked water from draining?

For $20 I ordered two new strainers (one for a spare). Replaced the cracked old strainer. While the water pump is running I check for more water leaks. Opening one faucet at a time until water flows without spitting air. With a flashlight and my head inside the access door I can see all the water lines for the kitchen, bathroom sink/shower, water tank and the lines going to the water heater. Pump automatically shuts off while I’m doing my checks. Open a second access door to the water heater. Confirm bypass on water heater is closed and water heater is full of water. NO LEAKS!!!!!!

Add unscented choline bleach to the water tank before filing water tank to the top. Again opening one faucet at a time until I smell choring bleach before shutting the faucet off.

Two days later water tank is still full and still no water leaks found.

Next fall when I winterize I’ll use the opportunity to remove and clean the strainer too.

S.K.I. is what I named the Born Free. Spending Kids Inheritance

P.S. Yes I drained the chorine water out of the water tank after 48 hours, refilled the water tank with fresh water and flushed the chlorine out of the water lines.
Want a B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 02:57 PM   #2
Platinum Member

It can take a lot longer to get enough water out to prevent freezing as there will still be some in low points and also some that drains back to those points. Letting air run for 10 minutes is not unusual, I think, and that is about what our Roadtrek takes before I can't feel droplets still coming out. Shutting the faucets off and turning them back on again later often will also bring out some more, also. I do always bump the pump on for a few seconds a couple of times to purge it and it's inlet line.

Best tothink about how the lawn sprinkler people do it as similar, and they let the air run a long time.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:10 PM   #3
Site Team

Yes, those clear screen covers are a definite point of vulnerability. After mine cracked one winter a long time ago, I got into the habit of removing it from the pump every time I winterize and leaving it off for the duration. Easy enough.

I also disconnect any removable spray wands from sinks and showers. They have plastic parts inside and are very difficult to fully blow all the water out of the nooks and crannies. I just store them indoors. Takes no time at all.

Since adopting these habits, I have never ever had an issue with compressed-air winterization.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2021, 03:39 PM   #4
Platinum Member

S.K.I., brilliant name.

My kids will probably get still plenty from me after I'm gone. But I've told them if I leave enough to bury me with, don't automatically count on there being anything left over.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote