Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 06-06-2016, 03:44 AM   #1

Default Observation during Delivery

Just wanted to post and/or maybe get this of my chest. I picked up a New 2016 Pleasure Way FL Mercedes Chassis.Tax,Tag, and all the Bells and Whistles.34 mikes 134K. The dealer had almost a week to get it ready. First thing I noticed was how dirty the engine compartment was.The wheel welds,door jams and roof were also dirty.Small dent in the sliding door where someone had not closed the door completely and pushed hard on the door to close it.This was written up on the "Owe Sheet". The Salesman said this ain't like a car dealer. I almost took my check and left.This was a Large Dealer. One of the owners even had a Lincoln Dealership that I had bought many vehicles from. Is this what I am to accept with an RV or am I being to picky?
I really love the Pleasure Way FL!
Thanks in advance for your reply.
HortMi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 12:40 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Nope, it's a new vehicle with a high price tag. I'd expect everything to be perfect or at least promised to be repaired in a reasonable amount of time.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Definitely not too picky at least in my opinion. I doubt very much that I could knowingly accept a dent in a new vehicle. However, things can be fixed and if done right soon forgotten.

The Plateau FL looks like a really nice unit - Pleasure-Way Plateau FL
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 01:11 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Nope, it's a new vehicle with a high price tag. I'd expect everything to be perfect or at least promised to be repaired in a reasonable amount of time.
Totally agree. And documented as such in writing. The dealer where we got our Roadtrek promised all kinds of things, from repairs to starter kits, etc, but when it came time to get them, they denied it all and wanted charge for everything. They had the wrong factory owners manual and wanted us to pay for one from the factory. They didn't even send us the license plates as promised. We finally had to drive the 40 miles to the dealer and insist they go and get them right then, as our temporary permit had run out.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 04:30 PM   #5
Platinum Member

All good examples of why we avoid (at least try) to Not buy from "Stealerships". But - glad someone does, to keep the used market open.
Thanks all!
AZ ADVenturist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 07:33 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by HortMi View Post
Just wanted to post and/or maybe get this of my chest. I picked up a New 2016 Pleasure Way FL Mercedes Chassis.Tax,Tag, and all the Bells and Whistles.34 mikes 134K. The dealer had almost a week to get it ready.
Thanks in advance for your reply.
Most of us are not experienced in making large purchases and entering into contracts to protect our best interest. An RV purchase is a hybrid (vehicle and home in one).

A couple of things to consider next time:

- Have an atty create a sales and delivery contract addendum to ensure the seller has specific deliverables that must be completed for release of purchase check.

- Require the individual preparing the RV to provide an inspection report and punch list demonstrating the vehicle has been tested and items corrected BEFORE THE CLOSE DATE.

- A strong contract initially does not make the seller happy but it helps reduce the chance of post delivery litigation / disappointment.

- Acquire professionals (atty and inspectors) to do what is not your expertise. There is no shame in having a professional execute your purchase contract.

BE PREPARED TO NOT CLOSE THE DEAL IF CERTAIN SALES REQUIREMENTS HAVE NOT BEEN MET.
ClassB4Me is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-06-2016, 11:26 PM   #7
Platinum Member

If there is one thing I have learned in life, it's to get EVERYTHING in writing. With a signature. On letterhead.

I can't tell you how many times that has saved my butt, and embarrassed others into doing what they promised.
Old 06-07-2016, 07:52 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Everybody mentions "The Dealer". I'd be interested to know *who* the Dealer is.

My buying experience:

Bought my Travato from Camping World in Katy, TX.

Since the Van had 2500 miles on it at delivery, I asked for Fresh Oil. The Salesman said OK. But it never happened. I had to change the oil a week later.

I was told, 1 year of Free Satellite Radio. The problem was, they activated it when they received the van. After 2 months, my year expired.

I was supposed to get 1/2 tank of fuel. I ended up driving out with less than 1/4 tank.

Minor things, but enough to disappoint me for future Business.

Started to deal with Demontrond RV in Houston. Went for a filter, and was ignored for 20 minutes. I quietly left, and ran into Lone Star RV by accident. Was treated great. They're my first stop now.
Old 06-07-2016, 08:11 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Totally agree. And documented as such in writing. The dealer where we got our Roadtrek promised all kinds of things, from repairs to starter kits, etc, but when it came time to get them, they denied it all and wanted charge for everything. They had the wrong factory owners manual and wanted us to pay for one from the factory. They didn't even send us the license plates as promised. We finally had to drive the 40 miles to the dealer and insist they go and get them right then, as our temporary permit had run out.
Would love to know what dealer that is... On other forums I frequent for fine watches they keep a list of good dealers and bad. Users continue to post their experiences and in some cases good go to bad and bad go to good based on user feedback... similar to fine watches, Class B RV's are a small group... maybe we should start a list.
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2016, 11:19 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Good idea. Similar to an Angie's List.
debra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:53 AM   #11
Platinum Member

yea they wouldnt have got a dime after that comment and condition. If you go buy a 135k car they treat you like royalty. This is a giant purchase by any measure. Disgusting dealer.
mrshowtime3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 01:59 AM   #12
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Keyne View Post
maybe we should start a list.
Maybe the admins can add a Dealer Review Section.
Old 06-08-2016, 02:08 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Well there is rvservicereviews dot com, where people do tell it like it is.

Gotta be careful about anything negative these days, though. Saying nothing at all is as valid as a negative review.
Old 06-08-2016, 03:43 AM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
Well there is rvservicereviews dot com, where people do tell it like it is.
THANKS! This is a great link to keep on your smartphone, so you'll have it wherever you go.
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-08-2016, 11:26 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by obgraham View Post
Gotta be careful about anything negative these days, though. Saying nothing at all is as valid as a negative review.
The proper way to do it is to have a reviews section and list all of the dealers. Then you have a rule that says "no negative reviews". People will get the idea quickly of who the bad dealers are as they'll have 0 reviews.
Old 06-10-2016, 05:09 AM   #16
Platinum Member

If there were no recommendations, it could either mean that no one who saw that board online used that dealer, or it could mean that a dealer provided less than adequate services. There would have to be a way to say, "I used this dealer. No comment."
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 04:56 PM   #17
Platinum Member

If it is the truth, and negative,
I don't worry one bit about giving a negative review...
Scottbaldassari is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-10-2016, 06:37 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottbaldassari View Post
If it is the truth, and negative,
I don't worry one bit about giving a negative review...
That's because you haven't had to tangle with our legal profession. It's not worth it to me.