Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-14-2018, 10:17 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Replacing shocks

I wasn't sure which category to put this in, Admin go for it.

I found this out the hard way. The top shock mount on the rear of my 2005/4 Chevy Express based Roadtrek MH uses 2 threaded spring clip nuts to attach the 2 bolts on both sides. On both, I had one bolt that would not unscrew until the other bolt was removed and I pulled down on the shock as I turned the bolt. I assume the factory installer over tightened the bolt. OK, no big deal maybe 30 cents a nut, I just replace all 4. Uh huh, Chevy stealership wanted $4. apiece, and the kicker is, they are not available anywhere in the US except in Lansing MI. Special order only, several days at least. Yes, similar nuts can be had locally, but they don't have the width of the OE nuts and the holes they go over are large enough I didn't want to risk them pulling through. So I ordered them.
If you are going to replace the shocks on yours, look to see if they use these crappy nuts. Then order them before you start or you may be like me. Waiting.
Fortunately, on mine, the front bolts screw into the frame, not these silly nuts.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg shock nuts 002.jpg (119.3 KB, 12 views)
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-14-2018, 10:44 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I think they do the removable nut thing so that if the screws rust in place and break off they are easier to repair than having a welded nut right into the frame or chassis, like some of the older ones had.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 02:52 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
I think they do the removable nut thing so that if the screws rust in place and break off they are easier to repair than having a welded nut right into the frame or chassis, like some of the older ones had.
You may well be correct. Or, as I assume, it is cheaper and quicker to use them.
I'm surprised the front bolt holes are threaded.

My point was, be prepared, unlike me. So you aren't stuck with a vehicle out of commission for several days, or more, waiting for cheap parts.
Deano is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-15-2018, 11:41 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano View Post
You may well be correct. Or, as I assume, it is cheaper and quicker to use them.
I'm surprised the front bolt holes are threaded.

My point was, be prepared, unlike me. So you aren't stuck with a vehicle out of commission for several days, or more, waiting for cheap parts.

I totally agree, and with shocks of this type mounting, getting lots of penetrating oil on them for as long as you can before trying to get them out can be a big help, too.

You were lucky that you could get them to turn by pulling down on the shock.

GM really like to charge for some of their odd parts. The tiny wire spring clips for the quick release trans cooler fittings, which tend to fly when you take them out and never be seen again, are like $8 at the dealer.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote