Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-26-2020, 11:06 PM   #1

Default Scooter, Sportster or nothing

Hi all. I just bought a Holiday Rambler 235 which is basically a 22 1/2 foot Class B+ motorhome. This is my first camper and I haven't even been on the first trip yet as I'm getting some work done on it. Hopefully that will be next weekend. After a few ShakeOut trips I plan to do a long trip across the country with it. Here's my dilemma. Since it is rather small I can take it in just about any grocery store parking lot or other which is very nice. I am told though that once I get to the campground and hook everything up it is sort of a pain to unhook everything and make a run to the store or go on an adventure in town or to just see the sights. I don't think I want to tow a car at this point but I am looking at a Vespa scooter to make those runs. I would have to buy an attachment for the trailer hitch and a ramp to carry it. Probably not a lot of trouble. I do own however a Harley Davidson Sportster but it is much heavier. I'm not sure if I really want to take the trouble to get it up and down the ramp at every Campground. I do I know someone who has a motorcycle trailer and I could buy pretty cheap but I don't know that I really want to tow a trailer at this point. Give me some feedback on your experiences. Thank you very much in advance
Vagante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2020, 11:40 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagante View Post
Hi all. I just bought a Holiday Rambler 235 which is basically a 22 1/2 foot Class B+ motorhome. This is my first camper and I haven't even been on the first trip yet as I'm getting some work done on it. Hopefully that will be next weekend. After a few ShakeOut trips I plan to do a long trip across the country with it. Here's my dilemma. Since it is rather small I can take it in just about any grocery store parking lot or other which is very nice. I am told though that once I get to the campground and hook everything up it is sort of a pain to unhook everything and make a run to the store or go on an adventure in town or to just see the sights. I don't think I want to tow a car at this point but I am looking at a Vespa scooter to make those runs. I would have to buy an attachment for the trailer hitch and a ramp to carry it. Probably not a lot of trouble. I do own however a Harley Davidson Sportster but it is much heavier. I'm not sure if I really want to take the trouble to get it up and down the ramp at every Campground. I do I know someone who has a motorcycle trailer and I could buy pretty cheap but I don't know that I really want to tow a trailer at this point. Give me some feedback on your experiences. Thank you very much in advance
Nice plans I think.

You describe the Vespa as Transportation with no mention of 'fun', yet I'll just bet the Sportster is for at least some fun.

I would not carry what is on my B's hitch if only for transportation because my 'hookup' and 'unhook' is not that big a deal 'for me'. But this is about Your application, e.g. I don't hookup to city water, don't know how. I only pull out a dump hose when dumping. I would be sure to buy groceries prior to camping as I do now. Then as needed I would use the B rather than what I'm using and leave it at home.

Many different applications, and sometimes we guess and then find nope after the experience of having or not having it. Sometimes the trade offs, advantages and disadvantages... Well, you might need a coin flip.

Have fun sorting this out, and you'll receive some more ways to do that.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:43 AM   #3
Platinum Member

It looks like Honda will be selling a new version of the CT125 trail bike which would be my choice if I was getting something to carry on a hitch receiver...

https://www.bennetts.co.uk/bikesocia...for-production
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 01:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I don't normally hook up water and sewer on my Class B if I'm going to stay at a campground for one or two nights. I will plug in if more than one night. I run off of the water tank and dump when I leave. I typically use the campground showers, so that I don't overuse my water and sewer tanks.

You should check the DOT Tire Date Codes (Google it to find out how). If the tires are over 6 or 7 years old, you should plan on replacing them regardless of how much tread is left. Most RV tires age out before they wear out. A blown rear tire could cost many thousands of dollars in body and RV systems damage and stop your journey in its tracks.

I wasn't sure what a "Holiday Rambler 235" was, so I Googled it. The only thing that came up was the Augusta, built on a Ford E350 chassis. If this isn't the motorhome then everything else I write is irrelevant. I personally don't think that it will be an easy drive it into town and go sightseeing kind of rig, as it's almost 8 1/2 feet wide and 11 feet tall. Given that it has a slideout, it may also be approaching its maximum weight rating. I write all this so others can make an informed response.

Before adding any weight to the rear hitch, you need to look at its tongue weight rating (probably no more than 500 lbs). Since you're planning on taking a cross country trip, you will most likely load up the MH with all your goodies for a fun and safe trip. In order to figure out how much weight reserve you have, you should load up with everything for this trip and fill up your fresh water, propane, and fuel tanks. Bring the rig to a truck stop that has a weigh station and get it weighed. This will give you total, front and rear axle weights. Compare these to the weight ratings on the door jamb. Concentrate on the rear axle weight rating and compare it to the actual weight. That's how much you have left over to add a bike and bike rack (but don't exceed tongue weight rating). I think you'll find the Harley is too heavy.

A motorcycle trailer could work better in this case, but be aware that some campgrounds don't allow keeping the trailer on your campsite. Another option is to tow a small car behind the camper. Most towable small cars must have a manual transmission, so this is a factor. I tow a Chevy Sonic, which can be towed 4-down with either the manual or automatic transmissions. Be aware, that the added cost of 4-down towing (besides the cost of the car), will be $1,000 for the tow bar, base plate, lights and braking system if you install them yourself to $3-4K if they are professionally installed.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 03:45 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockwood27 View Post
A motorcycle trailer could work better in this case, but be aware that some campgrounds don't allow keeping the trailer on your campsite.
Interesting... we haven't run into this issue yet. We tow a 5x8 enclosed trailer with two 250cc dual sport motorcycles inside, and have traveled all over the west coast. The only restriction we've seen is length and total number of vehicles, often limited to one camping unit plus one tow vehicle or toad, for a total of two units. Our trailer counts as one, the van counts as one, so we are good. Our overall length is 34', which is considerably less than most towable RVs with tow vehicle, and less than many Class A's.
Old 02-27-2020, 04:47 PM   #6
Platinum Member

We're on the east coast and have seen several trailer restrictions, especially in the northeast. Campgrounds tend to be older and more space restrictive (think built for tent and popup camping). The OP is in FL where I snowbird and I have run into several CG with trailer onsite restrictions.
Rockwood27 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2020, 09:29 PM   #7
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vagante View Post
I have a motorcycle rack hooked to my roadtrek 200 and load a 150cc scooter that weighs around 300lbs. Vehicle handles it no problem and I just make sure it is secured well and check it at every stop while on the road. I am looking for a Honda Rebel 250 or Yamaha V star 250 as a better option, They are both a little heavier than the scooter but more suitable for 2 up transportation.
Scottie409 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 04:08 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Default Scooter - NO!

Due to differing regulations for every state, plus distracted drivers everywhere, I quit riding scooters and motorcycles. I switched over to a folding bicycle with electric assist that can be easily transported in the trunk or on a rack, as it weighs 63#. No fuel or maintenance issues. Recharged while drivig, or during generator use, or connected to hookups.
Can ride wherever bicycles are permitted, including National Parks and pedestrian walkways. Maximum 28mph w range up to 20 miles, 50 miles w peddling.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2020, 11:13 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Hooking/unhooking electricity is easy.

If you are worried about getting "free" the next morning, just don't hook up water/cable/sewer. It'll take you a couple minutes to undo teh power cord.
-Winnie ERA 170M ("906" 3500 Sprinter, 6cyl Diesel)
BigFatGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 03:55 AM   #10

I agree. I have an electric cord and a quick connect water hose. 15 mins max and we are on the road.
Layton100@gmail.com is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 01:07 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I tow an enclosed 6x10 cargo trailer and haul one of my motorcycles in the trailer. In four+ years of camping about four-five months per year I can count on the fingers of one hand the number of times that I have to unhook, and that because the site was too small. I virtually never camp at private campgrounds, mostly dry or dispersed boondocking. The trailer works well for carry some extras and providing room for riding safety gear.

I generally find a place to camp for anywhere from 2 days to 2 weeks at a time and goof off and explore the area.

It costs about 1.75 MPG to pull the loaded trailer, averaging 13.4 MPG. And yeah, it's slower pulling mountain roads. This system has worked well me.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2020, 09:50 PM   #12

Similar to other postings on this thread, we have a 20 foot Class B. We bought a Honda 150cc scooter specifically to use with the Roadtrek. At less than 300 lbs, I can easily carry it on a motorcycle rack that slides into my trailer hitch.
We really enjoy camping in National Parks in Canada's mountains and having the Scooter to use when we explore is a lot of fun.
Rdtrkr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-30-2020, 08:34 AM   #13
Platinum Member

Vagante,

What did you eventually choose?

Hopefully my boredom & need to practice a skill I lack resurrected a thread where you are already living the RV life in style & all the questions you had have been answered with 4 months of happy experiences.

There were some good suggestions here & hints as to what a Newbie would plan for but 7 days later, a Veteran wouldn't.

ie; few owners hook up everything if staying for one, two or three nights as its not good to leave your valves open, Class B & B+ especially the black tank but to wait until you have enough to dump, usually just before you leave.

Most of us will hook up to shore power though & fill our tanks with water but use the rig's water pump.

The key questions here that weren't defined are;

1. Is there just one of you or are you a couple, a family? Because if its more than one of you & say two kids, a bigger, safer bike is necessary or two scooters & or a trailer.

2. What sort of camping are you going to be doing, in what environments, do you like to ride dirt, etc & the trailer has even more utility. And getting to know a place by 2 wheels can significantly improve the experience.

3. And Bud's question of what is Fun to you. A poster mentioned a fold up bike which are great fun,* & you can fit one in for everyone.

*its the fact his has a motor which when you are on vacation is very appealing.

I ride a 2016 Z1000, have a 150cc scooter & a Strida but only the Strida can fit into my RV Travel as I am presently confgured.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote