Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-16-2019, 04:36 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thevon View Post
I’ve noticed that 3 tire pressure gauges I have show a different pressure, all within a few pounds of each other. Has anyone found a gauge they believe is the correct tire pressure?

Greg
2006 190P
Yes! I've bought so many tire gauges over the years, each one claiming "professional accuracy", including a Milton dually service gauge which I thought would have been my last purchase, but that too was out by a few psi.

I recently bought a Jaco ELITEPRO™ DIGITAL TIRE PRESSURE GAUGE - 100 PSI and it matches exactly my other Milton EXELAIR™ Digital Tire Pressure Gauge with Extended Swivel Dual Head Air Chuck.
So one goes in the car, and one in the RV.

https://jacosuperiorproducts.com/col...curacy-100-psi

https://www.miltonindustries.com/gau...air-chuck.html
UKDude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2019, 05:41 PM   #22
Gold Member

I have one on order thanks for the advice
Thevon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:05 PM   #23
Gold Member

When I served in the Air Force, the tires on our aircraft were filled with nitrogen. The tires would heat up quite a bit in flight, and using air in the tires would allow the pressure to get too high. Nitrogen doesn't change pressure as much at higher temps. A friend at my career job filled the tires on his car with nitrogen for that reason. Now I see that my tires I purchased at Costco are filled with nitrogen. Seems like a good idea.
Old 01-12-2020, 10:22 PM   #24
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
When I served in the Air Force, the tires on our aircraft were filled with nitrogen. The tires would heat up quite a bit in flight, and using air in the tires would allow the pressure to get too high. Nitrogen doesn't change pressure as much at higher temps. A friend at my career job filled the tires on his car with nitrogen for that reason. Now I see that my tires I purchased at Costco are filled with nitrogen. Seems like a good idea.

Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-13-2020, 10:54 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TomF View Post
FWIW, Mercedes-Benz recommends NOT using nitrogen in tires.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Nitrogen.jpg (390.5 KB, 19 views)
Old 01-13-2020, 04:35 PM   #26
Gold Member

Okay, then. I have to admit, I had never heard about the nitrogen scam. I didn't know there are people out there selling nitrogen based on all these performance claims. I did believe that the pressure increase differential was significant, but apparently this is not true.
As noted in another post, Mercedes says nitrogen won't hurt your tires, but it is not worth it to pay for nitrogen. At least the nitrogen service at Costco is free.
Old 01-13-2020, 09:16 PM   #27
Site Team

Yeah, but sometimes you get nice pretty green valve caps.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 07:38 PM   #28
Bronze Member

Default Update

Been running 45 psi all around as noted in my original posting. Not much driving due to winter then this virus thang. Anyway, there seem to be no difference in driveabilty, and a slight decrease in sharpness of road bumps. I have the VB air suspension FWIW.

More later when I can get more road time.
JonK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 08:26 PM   #29
Platinum Member

We had a chance to do a bit of confirming on our tire pressure selection for our 07 C190P Roadtrek with oversize 265/75/16 tires on it. We normally shoot for 62 front and 76 rear with normal loading of the van.

We decided to do a sanity drive yesterday of about 300 miles of two lane somewhat curvy but decent roads. It was much colder than normal at 30ish F at the start and never got to 40 all day so were about 40* under the temp I filled them at much earlier. Those 40* would be around 8 psi in the rear and 6psi in the front pressure drops as I use approx 1.5 psi per 10* F of drop. I would usually not want to go more than about 20* under the fill temp but we were unloaded and it would be a slow trip.

Handling was noticeably different, but not really any hazard. Just a bit less responsive with a "soft" feel of the reaction to steering. Before the wind came up it was hardly noticeable, but once it got to 15+ and gusty it got to be easy to feel the difference.

This pretty much confirms the window of pressures that we had thought we had with previous use at lower pressures, so good to know.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote