Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-26-2012, 06:16 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default iPod Touch, BB Playbook or Android device for e-reader

I'm looking into getting an iPod Touch, BB Playbook or Android device to use primarily as an e-reader.
I've been reading ebooks for years on a small screen Pocket PC device. A backlit screen for night reading is a feature I must have.
I want to limit the $$$ to around $200.

Any advice? or suggestions?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 06:33 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Default Re: iPod Touch, BB Playbook or Android device for e-reader

You are at a dead end with a BB Playbook as far as app development goes. The iPod Touch is more than just e-reader capable with other a half billion apps at your disposal in case you wish more. The Android devices, of which there are many, don't have a form factor as small as the iPod Touch unless you are buying a Smartphone. Of course you can read just as easily on a Smartphone. I use my iPhone for reading when out and about and in waiting rooms and now have it synced with my iPad through iCloud. I'd go with the iPod Touch. You can read Google books, Gutenburg free books, B&N Nook books, Amazon.com Kindle books and Apple eBooks. Many can read those but no one else can read the Apple eBooks or use the iTunes library.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2012, 08:29 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I might just go with an iPod touch. The small size is good. I can use it with one hand.
iCloud looks interesting and I can use it with my PC. It would be my first Apple device..........
Old 04-26-2012, 11:25 PM   #4
Platinum Member

A good case could be made for a used Android phone. If used, there will be no pressure for you to turn on phone service, but you would always have that option. With phone service disabled an Android phone can still work via WiFi and USB tethering.

The primary reason to recommend an Android device is that its internal memory is expandable, unlike the iPod Touch. If you want more memory in the future, you can pop in a larger SD card. There are always good deals available from folks who have recently upgraded to the latest and greatest new phone.
wabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 12:16 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I've looked at Apple devices but the price always prevents me from getting one. I now have an Android Smartphone and Tablet. I bought my wife a 7 inch tablet from Frys in the US for $118US. It's not the best but she uses it for ebooks and a few games. She also have Facebook installed and uses it to catch up with friends when the kids are on the computers. The problem with tablets is the screens. If you want a capacitive screen, the cost goes up quit a bit. Resistive screens are cheap but scratch, need a stylus and you can only use single touch.

I always say, "Everything has its advantages and disadvantages. You have to choose what suits you". If you don't want a Smartphone but want a small device, the iPod Touch would be a good go. They have WiFi so you can connect them to a home network or use free hotspots. Apple has the most apps available to play with.

A guy at work purchased the BB Playbook and likes it a lot. He says there is a new operating system coming that is suppose to allow Android apps to work on them but I don't know when or if it will be available. (Who knows, it may already be out).
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 02:02 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Yeah, the inability to add storage on the iPod isn't good. The 8GB model is $199 but it jumps to $299 for the 32GB model. 8gbs might be fine. The 960-by-640-pixel display resolution looks good though.
My guess is that for $200 it will be hard to find an Android phone to beat or even match the iPod's display.
Old 04-27-2012, 04:34 PM   #7
Gold Member

What about eBay? There are several new, refurbished or used iPod Touch, up to 32GB, from Canadian sellers for less than $200. I've bought used Apple stuff from eBay before without any problems.

Les
LesM is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 11:16 PM   #8
Platinum Member

I didn't think of eBay for this although I check eBay regularly.
I bought an 8GB iPod touch today after trying out iBooks and reading a bit in the store. It'll make a good e-reader for me. I loaded a couple of free books to try it out.
All the other features are bonuses. It is a fun device.
I have to figure out this iCloud stuff.

renrut - I was still using the BE300 for eBooks after converting them with Calibre. I was do for an upgrade after a decade!

Thanks for all the advice and help
Old 04-28-2012, 01:11 PM   #9
Platinum Member

This may not be what you are looking for, because it is a larger (slightly) form factor, but I just purchased a Kindle Touch a few days ago. I really like it. Nice size. Not too big, not too small. Very thin and light weight. No backlight however, you can add those with a lighted cover or a reading light.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:14 PM   #10
Platinum Member

A Kindle or a Kobo was what I originally thought of getting. E-ink for its appearance and the long battery life are great.
These devices are nice.
I downloaded a book from the local library last while I was in bed. Email from 3 accounts were occasionally coming in. I checked the forum for new posts. I downloaded a few free apps. All using wifi. I read in "night mode" with the page black and the text white and the brightness dimmed. I made two Skype calls to phone numbers today. All done on the iPod Touch and all easy to do.

I've had a BB Curve for a long time but I never really used the smart features. My Curve doesn't have wifi and data costs used to be very high.
Old 04-28-2012, 06:30 PM   #11
Platinum Member

My iPhone 4S is essentially my iPod Touch considering that in the last billing period I talked on the phone for a grand total of 11 minutes and I suspect most of that was with my wife. But I also used the unlimited 4G data plan for just 234 MB and that included a 1,500 mile RV trip. So, I really don't use it all that much outside of wifi locations like my home, McDonalds, Starbucks, shopping malls, campgrounds, etc. The usage mostly comes while traveling on the highway in the B looking up campgrounds, diesel, restaurants, checking Google maps, and things like that.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote