Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-05-2021, 01:41 AM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Microsoft insider program

I didn't sign up for insider, but when I went to do the latest update (I do them manually once a month) it said I needed to turn on diagnostics to continue to receive insider information and emails. I have never gotten either, ever, so this is in itself bogus.

It then gives a procedure to opt out of insider, but even after logging in to Microsoft account they claim that account is not signed up for insider. Well what account is it signed up to? It shows insider in the Security and Update area but can't shut off anything.

Now when I research the issue on Google, literally hundreds, maybe thousands have the same issue and state that the only way to get rid of insider is to do a clean window install and lose most everything you can't save.

So, this appears to be another of MS blackmail attempts to get 24/7 access to all the information and data on your computer, which IMO is criminal. This is a local only, manual update, no connection to Microsoft, computer we use for secure things like bank, investment, etc stuff. There is not any way that it will ever be connected to MS full time, ever.

I think I just lucked out in that I always have the diagnostics shut off so insider couldn't activate or I would be stuck with it. I have no idea how intrusive they will be with telling me to constantly turn on diagnostics to activate insider at this point.

My recommendation, turn of your diagnostics before they try to put it on without your permission and you might be OK at least for a while and make a good backup before any of this happens to you.

We just went through an entire year of printer he!! with having to reset the print spooler every three prints on our Brother printer because MS made a change in an update. They denied it was their issue, Brother said it was an MS update issue, and we were stuck. Miraculously, the printer started working normally again after a MS update and many, many, hours of trying to fix the problem.

How is Linux to work with? I have never used it. Good or meager programs available?
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 03:08 AM   #2
Platinum Member

MS is auto-enrolling people in the Insider program? That's not good.

For normal desktop/laptop usage, I'd recommend an Apple product over Linux. Linux as a desktop has significant limitations, and Mac Air's and Mini's are decent machines, Low-spec ones can be bought for a grand or less and have decent performance.
Old 12-05-2021, 06:11 AM   #3
Platinum Member

I use a mac and have for 30 years

1 thing about apples is that all the hardware is proprietary, and quality has been very good.

I've used laptops since 1995-ish
all but 1 of my laptops still work, I use them for archaic music software or connectivity ...ports, zip drives etc

Each of them has been dragged & bumped around the world in constant use, moving every day

I currently use a late 2011 macbookpro which I bought last spring when I had a problem with my early 2011 model- ( a few months shy of 10 years out of it)
I prefer these versions they are easy to work on- I have a 1tb ssd drive and a 2 tb ssd both internal, battery replacement is easy
I can only run 16gm RAM and the mac os I use is 5 years or so old ( and I have an even older OS in a partion on one of my drives.

I know nothing about or care for windows. But some do run windows as a virtual machine on a mac

software- I think anything you would want is available ( some automotive software may not be) I use MS office, but also open office

security- the smaller market segment and some sandboxing works to our advantage.
I've never had or personally known anyone to have a "virus" or malware ( yet)
I have my wife on an ipad because she clicks on every attachment (!) and signs up for everything- that sandbox protects her

my experiences are all positive

BUT I do not know if I would buy a new mac with the current OS. I had 2017 models at work and hated them, the limited ports, the keyboards sucked, could not be easily upgraded by user-
the screens were great and the machines were fairly robust.

I wouldnt use an Air as I don't need to pay extra for thinner and less battery, and the harddrives are smaller than on a macbook pro

Cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:08 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I just received my new MacBook Pro with the M1 Pro chip in to replace my 2012 MacBook Pro which was long in tooth. I’ve been a first 100 day Mac user since 1984. I’m no techie but I am a graphics enthusiasts. However, my skills have seriously dropped off from what people are doing on computers today since I was the first Mac Graphic Arts forum leader for Applelink Personal Edition in 1988 which evolved into America Online.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 05:25 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I use a mac and have for 30 years

BUT I do not know if I would buy a new mac with the current OS. I had 2017 models at work and hated them, the limited ports, the keyboards sucked, could not be easily upgraded by user-
the screens were great and the machines were fairly robust.

I wouldnt use an Air as I don't need to pay extra for thinner and less battery, and the harddrives are smaller than on a macbook pro

Cheers, Mike
The new MacBook Pro models are more like your 2011. The keyboard has gone back to the layout you have and it is a better tactile feel than my 2012 The ports are back and more versatile. The M1 Pro chip excels anything Intel has and is probably too fast for my needs. There is a faster M1X chip which I didn’t get. I probably could have settled for a MacBook Air but I wanted the larger 16” screen.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2021, 07:27 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Back to Microsoft, it appears that they also installed an Edge Browser update and put on popup news feed that shows up randomly and can only be stopped for a while but never removed. Apparently, in near past it could be removed completely, but they eliminated all ways to do that, including in the registry. It streams so if on data plan when traveling will be a big data waster, I fear if it is running in the background. Of course they also turned back on the camera, microphone and location also, but I have the camera and mic blocked in the registry so it doesn't matter. I hate to think how much Big Brother will be in Windows 11 when we get forced to put it on.
Old 12-05-2021, 09:48 PM   #7
Platinum Member

If you are referring to the new 'Edge Bar', I'm pretty sure it can be disabled. It is on mine.

Convincing my various devices to cut back on data use while using a hotspot is a PITA though, and things like this make that harder. .
Old 12-05-2021, 10:39 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
If you are referring to the new 'Edge Bar', I'm pretty sure it can be disabled. It is on mine.

Convincing my various devices to cut back on data use while using a hotspot is a PITA though, and things like this make that harder. .

I don't think that is it, this is floating box that Edge puts what it thinks you want to see like a news site you visited I think it could be many other sites also. I think it used to be called Edge Newsfeed or something like that. The icon is in the tray, I think, and if you even rollover it opens. Mine also seems to open immediately on a cold startup also, at least sometimes. You can tell it to not rollover open in Edge and hide the Icon, but I think it is still running and ready. You can't take it out of a start menu as it doesn't show, and also doesn't show in the App list so you can remove it. The Edge folder in the Registry is also gone.

I am going to have to take a close look at Task Manager to see if it is shown running and using any resources when not visible.
Old 12-16-2021, 06:13 PM   #9

Booster,
Quick reply. Ditched M$ Windoze in 2000 in favor of Linux when the Melissa Virus beat up M$ networks. Haven't looked back and haven't paid for an operating system since. I do everything I want/need to do with Linux... EVERYTHING!!!!. I so have ONE application I have to run on Windoze to update my Garmin GPS receiver so I can dual boot my desktop into Windoze twice a year to do that but that's coming to an end soon, too. Send me a message PM as I'm free to share a LOT of good stuff on how to get out of the M$ (and for that matter Apple) clutches. "guzowskip at 11nuxm@11 dot 0rg".... Polo sends!
Polo is offline   Reply With Quote