Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-11-2023, 02:46 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
I am getting ready to try Nomad. Their Air model has MIMO connections, as well as what is supposed to be a good internal antenna. Watch for my review...
Have heard too many negatives recently, and a previous endorser I respect rescinded their endorsement, so I am cancelling my order.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 12:36 PM   #22
Platinum Member

Quote:
Have heard too many negatives recently, and a previous endorser I respect rescinded their endorsement, so I am cancelling my order.

I think you are wise to do that. I hope you don't have any issues getting out of it all, as that was one of things a lot of complaints were about.

It is really too bad that Nomad didn't work out for us as it covered all the things we would have needed for travel and at home. I do think the market is headed toward doing a lot of what Nomad claimed it could do, though.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2023, 01:16 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:

This may be the influencer you are referring to, but apparently from this one there are many resinding their endorsements of Nomad.

Personally, I lost of confidence in Mike Wendlund years ago when he was defending the old Roadtrek on a host of issues that were obviously not true and were certainly unethical, so this is not the first time he got sucked into a bad situation that he should have known better than to pursue.

At least it is good to see him and other influencers publicly trying to fix some of the damage they caused, though.
Old 04-11-2023, 01:53 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Wendland was a rookie Class Ber recently retired when he came on to this forum asking many questions. He was a former reporter for a newspaper so it was natural for him. He did get into promoting Roadtrek out of exuberant enthusiasm for Class B initially and he quickly realized he could he could have a second career as a reporter. Then he realized that career would be limited with just Class B RV issues so has expanded by first a Class C and now a 5th wheel. He is hands on more but he is still a reporter and most reporters are not in depth or opinionated in what they present or in what they hear. So take it with a grain of salt when they delve into opinions because they make their money by promoting an interest of companies and advertising.

I enjoyed his yearly rallies in the UP at Tahquamenon Falls state park in January. At first it was Class Bs and a couple of hardy tent campers. Now I don't know because we opted to take an Ocean cruise last January. I learned I could camp down to -15F and most Class Bs endured the cold weather if they had an electrical hookup and a decent toilet.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2023, 03:07 AM   #25
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am getting ready to try Nomad. Their Air model has MIMO connections, as well as what is supposed to be a good internal antenna. Watch for my review...
I received my Nomad kit and posted a summary of my experience at
https://www.classbforum.com/forums/f...nce-13959.html
Old 05-03-2023, 03:12 AM   #26
Platinum Member

No easy answers on the RV internet stuff. I would say a rooftop mimo is a must for cellular based mobile hotspots or modem/routers. Some folks I know couple their own cellular internet connection with a strong wifi extender to grab the campground or host signal, or even their phone's hotspot in a pinch. Combination antennas are available that include wifi and 5G/4G capability.
Old 05-11-2023, 08:26 PM   #27
Platinum Member

Booster, I have dealt with Century Link and know the frustration. In the end I got a T-Mobile Home Internet device. I has been wonderful. I typically get between 100 and 400 Mbps. Cost is $50/month with no contract. Of course, it depends upon the availability of 5G T-Mobile in your area. I use it in Tucson in winter, pack it up in the RT going east in summer and plug it in when we get to Virginia. It is a self contained modem/router that needs no wired connection. I understand that Verizon is introducing a similar set up.
JohnnyFry is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2023, 08:32 PM   #28
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
Booster, I have dealt with Century Link and know the frustration. In the end I got a T-Mobile Home Internet device. I has been wonderful. I typically get between 100 and 400 Mbps. Cost is $50/month with no contract. Of course, it depends upon the availability of 5G T-Mobile in your area. I use it in Tucson in winter, pack it up in the RT going east in summer and plug it in when we get to Virginia. It is a self contained modem/router that needs no wired connection. I understand that Verizon is introducing a similar set up.

We tried similar with ATT, but even with the $99 100gig of data it wasn't enough for us, and we don't even stream much at all.
Old 05-11-2023, 08:55 PM   #29
Platinum Member

Before I signed up I was assured that the service was truly unlimited and would not be cut back or throttled. We stream all of our TV watching, run 2 computers, 2 iPhones and 2 iPads and have never hya hint of a problem. The only issue I have encountered is an occasional drop out lasting, at most, a few minutes. These have gotten far less frequent as coverage has improved. I have had the ser roughly 2+ years.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:21 PM   #30
Platinum Member

Default Learning a lot

I have been looking for a new solution since cancelling Nomad. I have settled on a two pronged approach due to learning about yet another facet of mobile internet. The technology is the X62/X65 chipset, which enhances 5g service and is said to "future proof" the modem piece. This generation of devices is expensive. Netgear's MR6550 is an unlocked (any carrier) device and is $999, lesser models around $700. The cheapest X62/X65 modem/routers are $350 or more (used). The Netgear M6 series all include antenna porta and ethernet.

The second prong is to just get a cheaper 4g/LTE hotspot in the interim, probably used, and upgrade to X62/X65 when more models are introduced and the prices come down.

The Inseego Wavemakers do not include this tech. Also because the sprinter is a full steel shell, the rooftop antenna is I think essential. I did pick up a MIMO/Wifi/GPS antenna. Have tested the wifi function and it helped. Do not plan to use the GPS function at this time.

As I said before, I am coupling with a decent Wifi repeater/extender. I picked up a used King KWM2000 and it works well, and has a wifi antenna port. Inexpect it will function as my on board router. I expect the modem device I get will have antenna ports, X62/X65, and ethernet so it can connect to the King Router.

A friend uses the T Mobile solution referenced in another part of this thread and likes it. He also connects his T mobile "box" to his King Router.
Old 05-11-2023, 09:22 PM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnnyFry View Post
Before I signed up I was assured that the service was truly unlimited and would not be cut back or throttled. We stream all of our TV watching, run 2 computers, 2 iPhones and 2 iPads and have never hya hint of a problem. The only issue I have encountered is an occasional drop out lasting, at most, a few minutes. These have gotten far less frequent as coverage has improved. I have had the ser roughly 2+ years.

That is interesting. When I checked with them about 6 months ago even their unlimited phone plans only had 50gig of 5G or even 4GLTE if 5G wasn't available. After that they said it could go as low as needed to assure the faster speeds to those that still were within the 50gig. I got that information at the local T Mobile store. I just looked online and they still sell 50 and 100gig home data plans so I guess the question would be why. We don't have our cell phones on T Mobile because they don't have coverage a lot of the places we go to when we travel.

One thing it did say in when I looked just now was that the data from data was prioritized to mobile devices first and home plans got what was left for speed which was interesting.
Old 05-11-2023, 10:12 PM   #32
Platinum Member

Interesting, possibly T-Mobile got out over their skis in what they could actually provide and changed policy. Also loading factors in different markets plays a role. I use speedtest to monitor my download speeds and, while there is variation, it has almost never gone much below 100 MBPS. I have been told, however, that they stopped opening new accounts in certain areas.