Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-08-2011, 09:42 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Netflix (Wii & computer)

I'm trying out the one month free Netflix offering.

Movies stream in via my laptop (connected by S-video cable to my TV) without any interruption. On my Wii, the movie will pause every 10 minutes or so to reload. I'm guessing the Wii doesn't have the same buffering capability as my laptop.

Is anyone here stream Netflix movies to a Wii without interruption? What internet connection speed do you have?
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2011, 11:37 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default Re: Netflix (Wii & computer)

Netflix? Wii? What the heck are you talking about?????

Just kidding. I'll see what my nephew uses next time I see him.
I think he uses a rocket stick (Rogers, maybe? oh, yes, he's got a job ) and I'm not
sure which game console, but he plays games online with other gamers worldwide.
Old 01-17-2011, 11:32 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Here's a link to some info on another forum where there appears to be some expertise.
http://www.4scf.com/viewtopic.php?f=20&t=3439

Maybe it helps?
Old 01-18-2011, 10:58 AM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks Mike.

I think I'll keep subscribing to Netflix. Also, streaming video from the Global, CTV, CBS etc, works great - full screen out to TV (through my laptop computer). I like being able to watch something when I want to and not on a schedule.
Old 01-18-2011, 02:35 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
Thanks Mike.

I think I'll keep subscribing to Netflix. Also, streaming video from the Global, CTV, CBS etc, works great - full screen out to TV (through my laptop computer). I like being able to watch something when I want to and not on a schedule.
It would work for me except there are some types of information I need in real time,
mostly to manage our finances. Internet access is pretty fast, but real time news updates
via the boob tube are better. As well as I need to keep up to date on world events as well,
because it's all interconnected.

I think some of the folks on 4SCF are close to full timers and none really seemed too bothered
that the info is old. I would think the movies would be good, but I'm not a big movie fan. Someone
suggested getting Rogers on Demand and watching it free anywhere on your laptop too, which sounded
like a deal. The problem would be getting Rogers in the first place.
Good luck with it, and let me know if anything changes with it's currency.
Old 01-18-2011, 04:43 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I videostream Netflix via connected Apple TV wirelessly with laptop or iPad. I've also just used our Wii but mostly just to see how it works. There are many ways. Performance seems to change from day to day and even from device to device. It just seems to be a mystery but I suspect it has something to do with Netflix servers and traffic. If just me watching I'll just view directly on the iPad. Roku makes a similar device as the Apple TV. The service I have with Netflix is unlimited live streaming and one actual DVD in possession at a time. Delivery service of DVDs is fast where I live. I think they are warehoused locally. The bar scan returns and "receive" them the same day you post them back and send you the next one in the queue. It sometimes comes the very next day and generally not more than two days. You are probably good for at least a half dozen and up to 10 DVDs per month if you can keep up the viewing pace. Live stream instant movie selection is not that great or as current in selections compared to the DVDs. So I utilize both methods combined for $8.99 per month. The downside is last year for a few months I practically forgot we had the Netflix account in not using it, but was still getting billed automatically out of our Visa card every month.

In the B I find live streaming next to impossible performance wise on the road just about everywhere so download rentable movies from iTunes ahead of time for a trip and watch via my iPad connected to the TV with Apple's component cable. Movies are cheaper than Blockbuster and you can hold them for up to 30 days. Once you start watching they will self destruct in 24 hours.

The other growing option is Redbox. We have 4 kiosks choices in grocery stores and McDonalds within 2 miles of our house and rentals are $1 per DVD. You can return a DVD to any Redbox so that could be an advantage on the road. There is a daily $1 charge so you do have to return them the very next day to avoid additional charges. Friday and Saturday afternoons and evenings can be a zoo with people lined up waiting to use a Redbox since there is usually only one in a store.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-18-2011, 06:55 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
I videostream Netflix via connected Apple TV wirelessly with laptop or iPad. I've also just used our Wii but mostly just to see how it works. There are many ways. Performance seems to change from day to day and even from device to device. It just seems to be a mystery but I suspect it has something to do with Netflix servers and traffic. If just me watching I'll just view directly on the iPad. Roku makes a similar device as the Apple TV. The service I have with Netflix is unlimited live streaming and one actual DVD in possession at a time. Delivery service of DVDs is fast where I live. I think they are warehoused locally. The bar scan returns and "receive" them the same day you post them back and send you the next one in the queue. It sometimes comes the very next day and generally not more than two days. You are probably good for at least a half dozen and up to 10 DVDs per month if you can keep up the viewing pace. Live stream instant movie selection is not that great or as current in selections compared to the DVDs. So I utilize both methods combined for $8.99 per month. The downside is last year for a few months I practically forgot we had the Netflix account in not using it, but was still getting billed automatically out of our Visa card every month.

In the B I find live streaming next to impossible performance wise on the road just about everywhere so download rentable movies from iTunes ahead of time for a trip and watch via my iPad connected to the TV with Apple's component cable. Movies are cheaper than Blockbuster and you can hold them for up to 30 days. Once you start watching they will self destruct in 24 hours.

The other growing option is Redbox. We have 4 kiosks choices in grocery stores and McDonalds within 2 miles of our house and rentals are $1 per DVD. You can return a DVD to any Redbox so that could be an advantage on the road. There is a daily $1 charge so you do have to return them the very next day to avoid additional charges. Friday and Saturday afternoons and evenings can be a zoo with people lined up waiting to use a Redbox since there is usually only one in a store.
The 2 issues I guess are bandwidth usage. In Canada we don't have any unlimited monthly internet bandwidth plans
that I'm aware of, so an internet based streaming or downloadable TV system could get expensive. Up here we'd have
to watch our usage, as we get robbed for our internet and wireless data transfer usage. I would guess performance
would be the other issue, although someone said you can stop watching and switch to another TV to continue when
the slow down time frame has passed. Kinda like a DVR?
We started noticing the Redboxes at McDonalds a year or so ago. Looks interesting, and easy. I assume
you use a CC to pay for it. Ever tried it, and have you had any problems with returning movies, or billing
errors?
Old 01-18-2011, 07:03 PM   #8
Platinum Member

Weird, double post. Sorry about that.
Old 01-18-2011, 07:35 PM   #9
Platinum Member

I've used Redbox with no problems so far.
Old 01-19-2011, 02:20 AM   #10
Platinum Member

If we're in a movie mood next time we're out, we may give it a try. Seems simple enough.
Wonder if our DVD player works. We've never tried it.
Old 01-24-2011, 01:51 AM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
I'm trying out the one month free Netflix offering.

Movies stream in via my laptop (connected by S-video cable to my TV) without any interruption. On my Wii, the movie will pause every 10 minutes or so to reload. I'm guessing the Wii doesn't have the same buffering capability as my laptop.

Is anyone here stream Netflix movies to a Wii without interruption? What internet connection speed do you have?
My nephew runs an Xbox 360 and gets Netflix on it via a Rogers wireless hub.
He says it does slow down occasionally, but he hasn't really looked into why.
Says he thought it has to do with bandwidth. No idea if it's the 360 or the hub.
He said he'll look into it, and let me know if he finds out exactly why.
Old 01-24-2011, 09:54 AM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd
................. Performance seems to change from day to day and even from device to device. It just seems to be a mystery but I suspect it has something to do with Netflix servers and traffic. ........................
I think you are right. Overall though, it works well. We watched a movie last night that streamed in perfectly. I really enjoy watching shows "on demand" like this.
Old 01-24-2011, 03:30 PM   #13
Platinum Member

The quality of my Netflix live-streaming varies a lot and I have almost given up trying to watch on a Saturday evening. So I have concluded that must mean Netflix network traffic or server overload. In trying to sleuth this out I've checked a lot of message boards and the many complaints. That's how I've accepted it has nothing to do with your own broadband speed to a point. I only have a 1.5 Mbps DSL service and I've read complaints from people with 8 Mbps service and higher.

I don't even plan to try on the road. My fall back is to rent and download movies ahead of time from Apple's iTunes store or take along a Netflix DVD. The only time we might watch a movie is when driven inside our B by rain.
Old 01-30-2011, 01:20 PM   #14
Platinum Member

So it's more likely a problem at the Netflix end, as far as you can tell?
I'll mention it to my nephew and see what he thinks, but I'd imagine you're right,
if you've found a lot of complaints from high speed at home users, too.
He plays games with other users via web connections and that runs fine as far as I know.
Old 01-31-2011, 02:06 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I've thought about Netflix but I am concerned about bandwidth. Does anyone have an idea of how much bandwidth is required for a movie?
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-31-2011, 10:16 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Hi,
I've read somewhere that 50 minutes of youtube can add up to 1GB of bandwidth.
Here's some other links and opinions......
http://www.findmyhosting.com/bandwidth-explained/ >>>>"a full length movie can be 800MB to 1000MB (1000MB = 1GB)"
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r241062 ... bandwidth-
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r221644 ... D-accurate
http://www.dslreports.com/forum/r199268 ... -streaming
http://www.quora.com/Netflix/How-much-b ... gh-Netflix
Old 02-01-2011, 12:26 AM   #17
Platinum Member

If you have cable or DSL of 1.5 Mbps or better you can watch Netflix. However there are caveats we discussed earlier. Also, don't count on trying it on the road at RV campgrounds. 3G connectivity probably won't work. You can check your download speed at http://www.speedtest.net
Old 02-01-2011, 01:26 AM   #18
Platinum Member

I fgured the bandwidth would be quite a bit and that's why I haven't tried Netflix. We live in the boonies and there's no Internet providers except the Cellphone Hubs. We use the Rogers Rocket Hub and are limited in bandwidth but have great speeds (3 to 5Mbps and sometimes higher). There is one other provider but their speeds are so slow, you can't even watch YouTube or any streaming videos. Their price is $51/mth for speeds of 60 to 80kbps.

There is news of fiber optics coming to the area but I won't hold my breath. We were told 3 years ago that high speed Internet was coming to our area but there still nothing. If we go one block south or 2 blocks north, they have cable or DSL Internet.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-02-2011, 12:35 AM   #19
Platinum Member

hey renrut - I ended up switching to Xplorenet - 2g tower with Rogers didn't work out. Rogers cable is sending a rep out to scope the neighborhood for full cable and internet - I can only hope I can see the Xplorenet tower from my porch so the connection is a 49 out of possible 50.

I'm now on a phone only plan with my Rocket Hub - month to month - kind of unique I think. In the end I have to give Rogers two thumbs up for the new plan but I had to take it to the top before they listened to me.
Old 02-03-2011, 09:59 PM   #20
Platinum Member

It might be worth getting service month to month for the next 60 days, or just waiting
for 2 months before buying anything or committing to anything long term.
The CRTC has been "asked" by Tony Clement to review whatever recent decision they've
made regarding internet billing by ISPs. They have 60 days to review their last decision,
and I'm hoping, to come up with one that doesn't cost Canadians more. Apparently they
agreed to something which would have RAISED our cost for internet access by the big
3 (who have all the infrastructure under their banners Rogers/Telus/Bell).
I'm going to google whatever is going on and will post up any further info I might find.

UPDATE: It's about removing any "unlimited" flat rate packages, instead making all internet
billing on a usage basis. So the smaller internet companies and non-infrastructure
owning ISPs who lease bandwidth to resell in packages, can't offer unlimited access any more.
No more flat rate "ma and pa" service provider plans any more.
It's all about killing Canadian versions of Netflix, et al, so that Telus, Bell, and Rogers don't
lose any TV business/revenue to them.
I guess if you can afford $2.50/GB (average charge for excess use?) over your monthly limit,
considering 1 hour of streaming/download is about 1GB, and can absorb that, as well as the
cost of the Netflix subscription + cost of the movie, you'll be OK?
I think I'd wait to see what they come up with.