Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-08-2020, 05:08 PM   #1

Default newbie questions on new setup "HELP"

Hello everyone,
I have a new van build going in production soon and need to decide on an internet setup.

if I have this correct I need a weBoost Drive X RV this will boost the signal to my mobile hot spots and allow me to run multiple devices. any equipment I'm missing? do i need a mobile router as well?
APOwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:20 PM   #2
Site Team

There are many threads on this topic, expressing a range of opinions.
My opinion is that cell boosters such as Weboost devices are just short of a scam. Then only help under very narrow conditions. Most of the value comes from having an antenna outside of the metal box of your van. A much better way to do this is to get a mobile hotspot that is capable of accepting external MiMo antennas, and to mount a good MiMo antenna on your roof. MiMo is vastly more effective than attempts to amplify a noisy cell signal. I have described the reasons for this elsewhere.

There are folks who believe in cell repeaters and have reported good results, and I'm sure they will contribute. But, in my experience with a wide range of such devices, they are snake oil.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2020, 05:49 PM   #3

yes I have been reading and it looks like the best choice, considering how it works and price, is the MiMo antenna. would it be best to run this to a mobile router and having my devices controlled by the mobile router? this would also allow for the use of a LAN to a mini mac I have that will be connected to the TV as a monitor.
APOwens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-22-2020, 07:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by APOwens View Post
yes I have been reading and it looks like the best choice, considering how it works and price, is the MiMo antenna. would it be best to run this to a mobile router and having my devices controlled by the mobile router? this would also allow for the use of a LAN to a mini mac I have that will be connected to the TV as a monitor.
the mobile Hotspot is a router. A number of the larger such devices have external connectors. I've used this type of hot spot with outdoor antennas very successfully in other countries but not in the USA.
billgrates3 is offline   Reply With Quote