Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-11-2009, 08:52 PM   #1

Default Skype

Got a new laptop for traveling in the van. I downloaded Skype today - very simple. Then I connected to the net with a home wireless system and called my daughter and grandkids in CA for free. They also have Skype. I have a webcam so they could see us. They are going to get one so we can see then while talking. It is free if both parties have Skype. If not for $2.95/month, I can call anyone that has a phone number in the US or Canada.
I think it is $9.95 a month for anyplace in the world, if they don't have Skype. If they have it , it is free. I plan on using it on a trip to Alaska, etc, if I find wifi and don't have cellphone service.
It is http://www.Skype.com
Old 01-21-2009, 02:15 PM   #2

Default Re: Skype

I use skype too but for instant messaging. I've found that the quality isn't that great for calls (although what can you expect for free!). Gmail chat was good for video calls but unfortunately they have discontinued it
Old 01-24-2009, 01:54 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to julievojo

I've used it too, and have it installed on my home computer. My brother is a pilot and frequently calls from overseas using Skype when he's bored and sitting around waiting for a flight. It's pretty amazing that I can sit at my desk in Minnesota and talk to my brother in Tokyo, all without a phone!

I've never thought of installing it on our travel laptop. I wonder how much bandwidth it takes up and if our broadband card could handle a conversation?
Old 01-26-2009, 09:57 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by julievojo
I've used it too, and have it installed on my home computer. My brother is a pilot and frequently calls from overseas using Skype when he's bored and sitting around waiting for a flight. It's pretty amazing that I can sit at my desk in Minnesota and talk to my brother in Tokyo, all without a phone!

I've never thought of installing it on our travel laptop. I wonder how much bandwidth it takes up and if our broadband card could handle a conversation?
I'm no expert but I would expect that using it for IM (instant messaging) would be quite light on bandwidth but calls would use more data. As long as you could pick up a good broadband signal it should cope okay.
Old 02-06-2009, 03:51 PM   #5

Skype version 4.0 is out now - some big improvements
Old 11-12-2009, 11:34 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I've been using Skype for a couple of weeks now and am satisfied with it. I have the $2.95 per month subscription for unlimited calls to United States and Canada landlines and cell phones.

The sound quality is good and the service has been really good lately. A few calls were dropped when I first tried it. This should be great to use on the road provided I find high bandwidth wifi.

I added a free phone number using Ring2Skype http://www.ring2skype.com/free-skype It's not my area code but most people who call me have long distance plans that basically give them free long distance.

I just ordered a $25 SkypeKey usb adapter off eBay so that I can use regular household phones with Skype just to make it more convenient. I'll report back on how it works when I get it.

Basically, Skype + Ring2Skype + Skype = MagicJack

Hmmm, maybe I just should have bought MagicJack Too bad MagicJack doesn't have Canadian phone numbers available.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 739264.jpg (53.4 KB, 2753 views)
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-17-2009, 06:30 AM   #7
g1g
Platinum Member

I have something similer with T mobil. For $10 a month I have unlimited calling and long distance. I haven't had a single problem once it finally got set up with the exception that I can't use my fax anymore. It is the VOIP so it must be connected with high speed internet access. Now if I could find a low cost internet access I'll be set. I hear my rate is going up another $5 this month.
By the way anyone know a good way I could send and recieve faxes?
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-18-2009, 12:19 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Re: faxing - I can't help you re: receiving faxes but for sending faxes for free you can try:

http://faxzero.com/
http://www.gotfreefax.com/
http://www.myfax.com/

I tried a pay service - PamFax - through Skype and was disappointed both by its inability to complete the job and incredibly slow response from their support. They charge for failed faxes
Old 11-24-2009, 12:36 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Just an update re: PamFax through Skype - they listened to my complaint and refunded me all of the charges. So I'll give them a "thumbs-up" for that
Old 11-27-2009, 04:23 AM   #10
g1g
Platinum Member

Thanks Marko, I checked those fax sites and one had a lead to something that looks fairly decent. I don't fax much in or out so I don't like the plans out there. This one has about a $3.50 fee per month and that is the lowest I have seen. If I did a few faxes per month I would jump on it but in reality I may go a couple months without any. Wee will see what I do.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2009, 03:11 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
.....................I just ordered a $25 SkypeKey usb adapter off eBay so that I can use regular household phones with Skype just to make it more convenient. I'll report back on how it works when I get it..................
I'm still waiting for this
Old 01-01-2010, 05:18 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by markopolo
.....................I just ordered a $25 SkypeKey usb adapter off eBay so that I can use regular household phones with Skype just to make it more convenient. I'll report back on how it works when I get it..................
OK, I finally got it. Ordered Nov 12th and received Dec 31st. Apparently Hongkong post was severely backlogged:

Quote:
Recent months have witnessed an upsurge of some 30% in outbound air mail compared to corresponding period last year. In addition, with the impact of global financial crisis, airlines have cut back on their flights. These have resulted in the overall supply of air cargo space lagging far behind demand. Hence delays by one to two weeks have been caused to outbound air mail for a number of destinations including Brazil, Russia, the US and Europe since late October.
The seller had already refunded me. I resent the payment today.

SkypeKey works as advertised. I connected my normal household wireless phone to it and now make and receive phone calls through a normal telephone handset. If I'm not around then calls go to my answering machine built into the wireless phone. Call quality is good and I am using wireless handsets on a wifi network.

You need to assign 2 digit speed dial numbers to your Skype contacts. This feature was removed from the latest versions of Skype but you can easily add them using the program found on this site: http://skypespeeddial.blogspot.com/

Just one note of caution re: 911 emergency calls. Using your mobile or landline phone for emergency calls is still required since Skype does not know your physical location and is unable to assist emergency services.
Old 07-24-2010, 10:16 PM   #13

Default Re: VOIP and faxes

Skype, magicjack and other voip services CAN provide fax services. However, you will need to set your fax to the SLOWEST connection and add a line noise filter. This kind of filter is the sort needed for dsl connections.

Tmobile offers a free fax receive service. Just call Tmobile and they will set it up. It works. I have it.

The other thing you might want to consider is installing a fax sending application for your iphone or android cell phone. Basically, you take a picture of your document and the software converts and sends it to the receiving fax device.
rdbyrne is offline   Reply With Quote