Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-15-2020, 10:56 AM   #1

Default What should I install

Hello-
Thinking about what is best for our needs as far as Internet and cell sevices. I have watched hours on the subject but so much is available it's hard to know. Most YouTube videos give you multiple options but also make it hard to figure out what would work for us.
Our needs:
1. We don't need 24x7 coverage and don't plan on vbloging or working from the road. But would like to be able to do basic surfing and Netflix without multiple antennas on the roof.
2. I have a mini Mac I plan on making a part of the system.
3. Verizon sounds like the best option.
4. I also have an Orbi wifi buster system at my house (can this be used at all?).

Not particularly concerned about the cheapest option but the best that fits our needs.

in advance for any help.
Ashley
Outoftheratrace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 01:59 PM   #2
Platinum Member

I've had ATT and Verizon cell service. I've gotten better service with Verizon. Sprint and T-Mobile are fine in populated areas but lacking in rural areas. However, no cell service covers all areas. You can check coverage maps and equate where you might frequent in your travels accordingly. I use the Coverage? app on the iPhone to check and still find it is not totally accurate. Coverage in state and national parks campgrounds are particularly spotty even though the coverage map says it is there.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:13 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The best source of info on current options is here...

https://www.facebook.com/groups/rvinternet/
gregmchugh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-15-2020, 08:56 PM   #4
jon
Platinum Member

I got a verizon hotspot (Verizon Jetpack MiFi 8800L) and installed a MIMO antenna on the roof. I installed the same one as (Avanti) installed. Search MIMO and your can find his antenna info.

Then I downloaded a 3D print file for a cradle (I had a lot of time on my hands) and mounted it up by the roof so the antenna install only required unscrewing one side of one ceiling panel.

The wife uses the hotspot for work so the company pays for it, but whenever we take a trip we just plug it in and go. We have received a stable signal everywhere we have traveled. At one state park she was talking away on her cell phone (t-mobile) but when I checked mine no signal. She didn’t have a signal either but was wifi calling.

Having a hotspot really makes traveling a lot more enjoyable for the passengers. Especially the teenage daughter.
jon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 05:28 PM   #5
Bronze Member

We have Consumer cellular. Has worked everywhere since they just buy time on everbodys towers. We have a hotspot on my wife's Samsung and watch movies streaming and browse the web.
vwmaniaman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-16-2020, 07:39 PM   #6
Platinum Member

I found that I needed both carriers, as there are plenty of places where only one works, but relatively few places where neither works.

My phones are ATT and my hotspot is a Verizon pre-paid MiFi 8800L. We don't (yet) have an external MIMO antenna.

In most places the hotspot works. Where it doesn't we use tethering on the phones.
@Michael is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:27 PM   #7

I use we boost (single phone)which improves cell phone reception for you tube TV, Netflix and Amazon prime with chrome cast on TV. Set my phone as a hot spot and everyone has access.
sksnake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 04:55 PM   #8

My wife and I tent camped for many years then purchased a 1997 class B Pleasureway. We live in Washington state and travel year long. Three and a half years 46 k in miles on a great unit. We watch DVD movies and get away from everything on a lot of our travels. Thats the reason we bought the unit. To get away not take along. For emergencies a satellite phone, only pay for when you use it.
Don Kohler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-23-2020, 05:56 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Outoftheratrace View Post
Hello-
Thinking about what is best for our needs as far as Internet and cell sevices. I have watched hours on the subject but so much is available it's hard to know. Most YouTube videos give you multiple options but also make it hard to figure out what would work for us.
Our needs:
1. We don't need 24x7 coverage and don't plan on vbloging or working from the road. But would like to be able to do basic surfing and Netflix without multiple antennas on the roof.
2. I have a mini Mac I plan on making a part of the system.
3. Verizon sounds like the best option.
4. I also have an Orbi wifi buster system at my house (can this be used at all?).

Not particularly concerned about the cheapest option but the best that fits our needs.

in advance for any help.
Ashley
IMO, he patient, low earth orbit satellite internet coming, courtesy of Elon Musk, summer 2020.
falfal3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 10:23 AM   #10
Bronze Member

here is a resource that may help,

https://www.rvmobileinternet.com/

and,

https://www.mobilemusthave.com/Mobil...Data_c_16.html
Batt 57 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2020, 12:38 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by falfal3 View Post
IMO, [be] patient, low earth orbit satellite internet coming, courtesy of Elon Musk, summer 2020.
Be patient but don't count on that option. Right now, Musk's creation cannot be used in a mobile context - contractually it is a fixed point service. And nobody is sure of when a mobile option will become available, if ever.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote