Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-17-2022, 07:18 PM   #1

Default Windows 11

Has anyone used this yet, I've heard a few reports thats its still got bugs and is slow
karlbifs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 07:39 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlbifs View Post
Has anyone used this yet, I've heard a few reports thats its still got bugs and is slow

The big downside I have heard is that it uses a encryption on you storage device and if something goes wrong with the key you can lose it all. You allegedly can shut that feature off when you put on Win 11, but I don't trust Microsoft not to turn it back on during and update as they have done that to me in the past when I tried to have Onedrive shut off unless needed. It was a real pain to clean up because it uploaded my entire hard drive to Onedrive taking many hours to do, and then locked the same information that was still on my computer. This is why I have not tried it and probably won't unless that feature can be permanently removed.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 09:10 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by karlbifs View Post
I've been running it since before it was released. No issues whatsoever. I even ran the pre-release verion on an older, unsupported device without issues.

--Mike
Old 02-17-2022, 10:14 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I switched to Win 11 recently, not much difference to Win 10 on my Z-Book 2022 laptop. File history rather useless for me, it limits backup source to C drive and single destination. Found AOMEI backup instead. If you don’t like mid location of the bottom task bar it can be moved to left, I left it in the center.
I scanned some old negatives 6x9 at 150 mb file sizes and post processing seems to be faster than with Win 10, but I don’t have actual numbers to support it.

Installin SilverFast 9 into Win 11 was a major headache, loading the same software on previously used Win 10, same laptop was very quick, could be Win 11 or just coincidence.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2022, 10:31 PM   #5
Platinum Member

https://www.startribune.com/alexande...ion/600111801/
Old 02-18-2022, 02:20 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by booster View Post
Turning BitLocker off on C turns it off for all drives. Google Drive deleted my files on my PC local drive during their migration to My Drive, as far as I know there was no warning, files just vaporized to cloud.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:34 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
Turning BitLocker off on C turns it off for all drives. Google Drive deleted my files on my PC local drive during their migration to My Drive, as far as I know there was no warning, files just vaporized to cloud.

IIRC, the guy that wrote this, it was in the local paper, had another article later that said there was a difference between home and pro versions of 11 also and things had to be done differently. Some, I think, were saying you couldn't get rid of it for good but not sure on that.

My experiences with Onedrive and with the Microsoft registration (I still can't sign in with my user and password as it says they aren't valid, even though I have recovered and changed them several times and it just happens again later on) has me convinced I would never trust them to unencrypt all my files they had encrypted. I also don't trust them not to turn it back on during an update as they do stuff like that all the time. The last update has Edge browser constantly opening on it's own again, although I use Firefox. I even found they had put it in the startup file so was running all the time in the background.
Old 02-18-2022, 02:44 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
IIRC, the guy that wrote this, it was in the local paper, had another article later that said there was a difference between home and pro versions of 11 also and things had to be done differently. Some, I think, were saying you couldn't get rid of it for good but not sure on that.

My experiences with Onedrive and with the Microsoft registration (I still can't sign in with my user and password as it says they aren't valid, even though I have recovered and changed them several times and it just happens again later on) has me convinced I would never trust them to unencrypt all my files they had encrypted. I also don't trust them not to turn it back on during an update as they do stuff like that all the time. The last update has Edge browser constantly opening on it's own again, although I use Firefox. I even found they had put it in the startup file so was running all the time in the background.
I have Win 11 Pro. I use Chrome and it stays on, unless I link from an MS program, then it turns to Edge.
Old 02-18-2022, 10:29 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by GeorgeRa View Post
I have Win 11 Pro. I use Chrome and it stays on, unless I link from an MS program, then it turns to Edge.

Have you looked at task manager to see if Edge is running in the background all the time?
Old 02-18-2022, 02:57 PM   #10
Platinum Member

If one is concerned about relying on OneDrive and/or maintaining a Microsoft account, then one can create a local account on a Windows 10 or 11 computer & log in locally. No cloud account or Microsoft account needed.

If one is concerned about losing access to files on an encrypted drive -and- one doesn't want to use Dropbox, Google Drive, or any other cloud service, then one probably is best storing their files on a FAT32 or exFAT formatted external or internal drive or partition and then using a robocopy type of backup solution to keep it in sync. Where I worked, we used a robocopy type of product to sync and backup hundreds of millions of customer files.

Early in OneDrive history - back when it was called Mesh or SkyDrive - I used to sync all my critical files to OneDrive/Mesh/Skydrive, and also robocopy them off to a locally network drive in a date-based YYYY/MM hierarchy, which I kept for decades. That way I had an off-site copy accessible from anywhere in the world, and a local copy's that I could use to go back to a point in time and recover old files -- decades old, actually. The cloud copy was a protection against my house getting torched or destroyed, and the local copies were protection against accidental deletion, corruption, or ransomware.

There are commercial backup products, by they likely have the disadvantage of being proprietary - you need their software in order to recover your files. Fat32/exFAT formatted drives are universally readable.
Old 02-18-2022, 03:52 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
Have you looked at task manager to see if Edge is running in the background all the time?
I checked, yes it was running. I went to Startup Apps and Edge was toggled on, I truned it off and it is not running as background process.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:16 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by @Michael View Post
If one is concerned about relying on OneDrive and/or maintaining a Microsoft account, then one can create a local account on a Windows 10 or 11 computer & log in locally. No cloud account or Microsoft account needed.

If one is concerned about losing access to files on an encrypted drive -and- one doesn't want to use Dropbox, Google Drive, or any other cloud service, then one probably is best storing their files on a FAT32 or exFAT formatted external or internal drive or partition and then using a robocopy type of backup solution to keep it in sync. Where I worked, we used a robocopy type of product to sync and backup hundreds of millions of customer files.

Early in OneDrive history - back when it was called Mesh or SkyDrive - I used to sync all my critical files to OneDrive/Mesh/Skydrive, and also robocopy them off to a locally network drive in a date-based YYYY/MM hierarchy, which I kept for decades. That way I had an off-site copy accessible from anywhere in the world, and a local copy's that I could use to go back to a point in time and recover old files -- decades old, actually. The cloud copy was a protection against my house getting torched or destroyed, and the local copies were protection against accidental deletion, corruption, or ransomware.

There are commercial backup products, by they likely have the disadvantage of being proprietary - you need their software in order to recover your files. Fat32/exFAT formatted drives are universally readable.
After some bad experience with Google Drive this is the setup with my new PC. I use internal designated 1TB SSD for working copies, internal designated 2TB HDD for backups, external large HDD for backups and 1TB Google/My Drive for critical backups. All backups are managed by AOMEI Backupper in unencrypted form. AOMEI works OK, encryption is optional, easy interface but not very flexible.
Old 02-18-2022, 04:41 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I do have the PC, which has 3 hard drives that each have the Windows 10 operating system on them standing alone (hard drives are switchable easily, done to isolate critical stuff from daily use and to have a drive to test stuff on) with all of them setup as local accounts, but that doesn't stop Microsoft from telling me I have to log in to my Microsoft account after about half of the updates, and if I don't I get repeated, "chose your options with all MS stuff to choose from that all I can do is click a remind me later button. Total BS IMO. Laptop is also setup as local only and same thing happens on it.

I use Aeomei backup and run the backups to a backup us only harddrive. As long as you have a boot disc that includes it, and the backup hard drive, you are good to go.
Old 02-19-2022, 09:17 PM   #14
Platinum Member

There is another new "feature" that Microsoft is putting on PCs, that just reappeared on my PC despite the fact that I turned it off in it's setting point and was still checked as off.

It is Microsoft News and Interests and it appeared as a floating flyout from the Taskbar, I think. You can turn it off by right clicking on the taskbar and going up to News and Interests and in flyout check turn off.

Unfortunately it came back on today anyway, so I found a registry change that I could do to permanently killed it off. I don't know if it worked though as they said it should have removed the News and feed option in the right taskbar flyout but it didn't.

Apparently even if off, it will run full time in the background just like the do with Edge all the time.
Old 02-19-2022, 11:12 PM   #15
Platinum Member

Quote:
This is horrible advice. The person who wrote it is a troglodyte. The cold Minnesota winters must have gotten to him.

If your hard drive fails you are screwed anyway. You can recover your data but it is like recovering a stolen car that has been lived in by a crack addict for a year. You really don't want it back. Backup your drives.

Disc encryption is a safe and proven method of securing all your data. Keep the key in multiple places. I use a USB drive to store keys, and store it in a safe deposit box.

One of my PC's has Windows 11. It's working well, no issues.
W9TR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2022, 11:21 PM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by W9TR View Post
This is horrible advice. The person who wrote it is a troglodyte. The cold Minnesota winters must have gotten to him.

If your hard drive fails you are screwed anyway. You can recover your data but it is like recovering a stolen car that has been lived in by a crack addict for a year. You really don't want it back. Backup your drives.

Disc encryption is a safe and proven method of securing all your data. Keep the key in multiple places. I use a USB drive to store keys, and store it in a safe deposit box.

One of my PC's has Windows 11. It's working well, no issues.

The point is exactly about the keys. Certainly if you have the key you stand a high likelihood of being able to recover your data, but in the case of the Microsoft thing, you aren't in charge of the key, Microsoft is, and they won't give it to you, it appears to store yourself or have a copy. Microsoft can't even keep track of my passwords to get into my accounts with them, so how would I ever trust them to have total control of all my data? My adventures with their One Drive taught me exactly how ugly having them lock all my folders was and making it extremely tedious to get all them back on my computer unlocked as I had to download all of them back without One Drive copying and locking them again. It is hadn't kept turning itself back on, it would not have been bad, at every start it would be back and trying to copy everything in the computer again.
Old 02-25-2022, 05:42 PM   #17

Microsofts obsession with trying to make you use Egde drives me up the wall
propoly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2022, 03:18 PM   #18

we use 11 on two machines

one is mostly used for daily tasks and other than privacy settings is stock...also fast(ish)

the other machine is a monster...really, nothing slows it down

but overcome the frustration of microsoft tying to out-google google i've removed almost all of their built-in apps

even so, windows tries to reapply their idea of a perfect world by returning file associations to stock...which frankly sucks

as an aside...for day-to-day use i like edge
when i need something more secure/circumspect i just run an instance of firefox
2019xfit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:36 PM   #19

What's Win11 like with regard to logging in? Why does anyone want to waste time logging in to a home PC everytime they want to use it?
felixw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2022, 06:54 PM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by felixw View Post
Why does anyone want to waste time logging in to a home PC everytime they want to use it?
Because a person's "main" PC typically contains the keys-to-the-castle, in the form of your password management system and links to all the websites that consume them. This is way too serious a vulnerability to depend on mere physical security--especially if the machine is a laptop. Without login security, a home burglary which would otherwise be a mere annoyance could turn into a life-changing catastrophe. And, it is even worse if you carry your laptop in your rig. This is also why, despite the inconvenience, it is essential to never run your system with unencrypted storage. It is really hard to overstate how important this is in today's world.

I have no idea how good a job MS is doing these days, since I don't do anything sensitive on a PC. However, in the Apple ecosystem, all of this is extremely well though-out and implemented. That is why the FBI needs to go to Israeli intelligence to unlock an iPhone if its owner won't cooperate.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote