Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-10-2020, 12:09 PM   #1

Default Insurance

I just purchased a new 2018 Midwest Mercedes Sprinter, my insurance agent is having trouble categorizing this unit. I initially got a quote of $1500 per year. What is everyone paying for these units?
Topoftheriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:15 PM   #2

That makes no sense, it's an RV, many insurance companies sell insurance for camper van s or class b RV's. My Progressive policy for our 2017 Winnebago Era is $850 for the year. BUT rates can vary wildly from state to state. So shop around.
KYRuss is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 04:31 PM   #3
Gold Member

Call Progressive. When you have a claim they are great to deal with.
kmessinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:32 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Default $100 a Month

Quote:
Originally Posted by Topoftheriver View Post
I just purchased a new 2018 Midwest Mercedes Sprinter, my insurance agent is having trouble categorizing this unit. I initially got a quote of $1500 per year. What is everyone paying for these units?
We are paying about $100 per month in northern Minnesota through State Farm for a 2015 Roadtrek on the Mercedes Sprinter base.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:39 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I deal with one insurance agent and one insurance company (Erie Insurance) for one automotive policy for 2 vehicles (one with RV rider) and my home owners policy. My total cost for all three is under $1800. I carry liability, collision, comp on both vehicles, both well above minimum required by the state. On the home, a two bedroom, family room, ranch w/attached two car garage and a 24 x 24 detached barn. My homeowners is replacement cost. My insurance address is in NYS, so you know insurance is not cheap here!
wny-pat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 05:42 PM   #6

Look for a quote online from Progressive. I just insured my 2018 Hymer Aktiv for well under $500 for a year there.
michael budig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 06:24 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by michael budig View Post
Look for a quote online from Progressive. I just insured my 2018 Hymer Aktiv for well under $500 for a year there.
With what kind of coverage???
Old 11-22-2020, 06:28 PM   #8

Full coverage. I was paying twice that previously for similar coverage through Geico. Progressive has RV coverage which can be searched online for a quote. Quite easy. I am now paying about as much for a year as I previously paid for six months.
michael budig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:14 PM   #9
Bronze Member

$50 a month with Progressive. Rural PA! Full coverage.
2018 Coachman Galleria MB Sprinter.
Kab449 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 07:24 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Insurance rates vary a lot even within states. For instance, according to one web site, average rates in the Rochester NY area can be half those in New York city. So I am not sure comparisons of rates here from all over the country are very useful.
RossWilliams is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-22-2020, 09:40 PM   #11

We are full timers and requested a Progressive quote. They said we needed to be in one location for six months so we went with Geico.
DWallinger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 04:55 AM   #12
Gold Member

I'm in CA. Do any or your insurance companies insure the RV when used for commuting or daily use, or just during RV use. The quotes I have received do not include daily use (unless you are actually RVing daily). In other words if I get into an accident going to the barber any claim will be rejected (unless you are at a campsite and go to a barber)
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:00 PM   #13
Platinum Member

I saw your other post on the subject, Dean, and I will say my insurer in AZ (State Farm) did not ask me any of those questions, like how many days I will use it to camp (not many this year!). I know that RV policies assume limited use, and my annual mileage of 2500 or less certainly qualifies. I’ve never encountered “limited use” defined by days or destination rather than miles.

I do drive mine regularly between trips- once or twice a month- as a maintenance thing. It keeps batteries charged and rubber parts supple, circulates fluids, burns off water and condensation where they don’t belong, and allows me to detect any changes in the sound or performance of the van that might spoil a trip. And yes, I combine the “exercise” runs with unrelated errands. It honestly never occurred to me my insurer would have an issue with that.

But since it would be your primary vehicle, and LA is a notoriously expensive vehicle insurance market, they may do things differently and be a bit more persnickety. I’m curious what others from CA say.
Jon in AZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 01:57 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Every insurer I have had here in NYS has asked me how many miles I drive each vehicle per year. It is part of the application, and companies often follow up later with same question.
Old 12-02-2020, 05:47 PM   #15
Platinum Member

I don't have any idea.
ilmor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2020, 09:57 PM   #16
Gold Member

UPDATE - Geico and Progressive were the ones that would insure the RV only when doing R-related stuff while driving. I just got off the phone with Allstate and they go by mileage, and its ok if RV is my only vehicle. Premiums are decent.

10,000 mi/yr
100k/300k liability/unins
Comp/Coll - 1000 ded (Assume value of RV = $30000)
Accident: 1, my fault, 4/2018

$904/yr

Quote:
Originally Posted by HWDean View Post
I'm in CA. Do any or your insurance companies insure the RV when used for commuting or daily use, or just during RV use. The quotes I have received do not include daily use (unless you are actually RVing daily). In other words if I get into an accident going to the barber any claim will be rejected (unless you are at a campsite and go to a barber)
HWDean is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 09:45 AM   #17

Is a premium car insurance worth it? If yes, which one to get?
Gundyr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 01:01 PM   #18
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gundyr View Post
Is a premium car insurance worth it? If yes, which one to get?
I don't know what you mean by "premium car insurance" but my answer would be that it isn't a car, it is an RV and you definitely want it insured as an RV.
2011 LTV Libero
2004 GWV Classic Supreme
mumkin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-18-2021, 04:24 PM   #19
Platinum Member

Gundyr, welcome to the forums

Most of us are in the USA

I am not sure what options are available in Canada- when I last lived there my cars and bikes were on policies from Co-op

Our vehicles are classed/ titled as RV's/ Motorhomes in the USA and most of us have specialty policies written for motorhomes, unique from a car policy.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2021, 10:23 PM   #20

don't worry I've now understood everything, thanks
Gundyr is offline   Reply With Quote