Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-03-2006, 06:25 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Do you have to log on twice?

Is it only me or does everyone have to log on twice to be able to post?

I'm using IE 6 service pack 2
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:29 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Location: Sarnialabad, The Newly Elected People's Republic of Canuckistan
Default double loon

Hi,
Seems I've had to re-logoin a few times so far. Is there a security timer of some sort on your initial login, such that if you don't do anything but browse, it logs you out? Just a thought, as I know most banks and otherwise secured internet connections do time you out if you don't do something "meaningful" inside the allotted time. It may be a modifiable administrator function.

Or maybe it's just my imagination???
Old 08-19-2008, 03:42 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I've logged on from IE and Firefox and have no problems. The only issue is, the cookies seem to expire and I have to log in every month or so.

As far as requiring a double login, that only happens at BAS for me Mark.
renrut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 03:51 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Hmmmmm, expired cookies? That may be my problem as I have Firefox set to dispose of them quickly. I rarely use IE, so I'm in "default" mode I guess for logging in to view updates to threads. Maybe I'll just use IE for this site, as I haven't had to double login yet using it.
Good info, thanks.

Mike
Old 08-19-2008, 08:19 PM   #5
Platinum Member

I'm logged on all the time with Safari. Some sights have a "remember me" button to click on when you sign in so you stay logged on. Safari also gives you an option to have your login information remembered at each site and will automatically fill in user name and password. Usually if you don't reboot everything stays remembered. Some sites make you periodically re-login for security reasons or if you have been off for quite a while but I don't think this site does.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2008, 08:53 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Default KOA Wifi (and computer security on the road)

Ahhhh Safari, you're a Mac user. Sadly, I'm restricted to the much more vulnerable world of Bill Gates software, and so do not save userids/passwords at any site, in the off chance that my pc might fall into the wrong hands. Most sites perform the "remember me" function by setting a cookie with the info in it on your pc. If you always clear cookies (like I do) the quick login isn't an option anywhere. I don't mind having to re-enter my id and password every time. That's the way I want it.

This leads me to another thought about data security while travelling. If you ever use a public computer (library, internet cafe, etc.) always make sure you DON'T save your login info, if prompted, as the next person to use it will/could have access to your data. It's always good to clear cache/cookies/files/forms/passwords after you're finished, too.
In IE these options are under Tools>Internet Options>General for cookies and files, and Tools>Internet Options>Content>Autocomplete for forms and passwords. Then close the browser, which usually clears cache.

Mike.
Old 08-19-2008, 10:34 PM   #7
Platinum Member

Did I say Safari? Oops, what I meant to describe was Foxfire also available on the PC. Everything I mentioned about web browsing is available through Foxfire. I do use both Safari and Foxfire. There are just some sites I access that seem to behave better under Foxfire like my independent internet services providers web mail option. Internet Explorer to me is so antiquated I have a hard time understanding why people continue to use it. Until I retired a year ago I was saddled with IE at work. I don't miss it.

As for internet security, hardware security, passwords and such, Microsoft Windows and Vista have all that too but I always felt you had to be a genius to figure it all out. I may be a little bit distorted in my view there since my former company's tech services did their best to make our PC computers into eunuchs.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2008, 12:38 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Oh, OK. When you said Safari, I assumed you were a Mac user. Pardon me.
I also prefer Firefox to IE and actually use it almost exclusively. The thing I find with Firefox is there are so many user modifiable features and functions as well as a slew of add-ons, that it's easy to turn on something that you might not really need or want. I'm running it with security and privacy maxxed out, and have a least 15 add-ons enabled for various reasons. It's a nice browser, but can be a bit complex to manage.
Still, I prefer it to IE. When I was still working a few years back, I downloaded Firefox on the recommendation of a guy on a website in England, and haven't looked back.

So, KOA Wifi? Fact or fiction?
I actually use whatever's available in the area, providing it's not secured, and for free public use. If that means Starbucks or some other big box store, that's good for me. My wireless router software has a scan function so I can see what's out there in the neighbourhood. Very easy. Great price. Good firewall is definitely a must, as has been mentioned.

Mike.
Old 08-30-2008, 04:11 AM   #9
g1g
Platinum Member

Well today I loged on and posted then came to this post and posted again. Just had to log on once. I don't know what will happen if I leave the site and come back though.
g1g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-31-2008, 11:07 AM   #10
Silver Member

I'm running XP, and I always have to log in twice.