Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-02-2020, 03:12 AM   #1

Default Door prop

We have double doors on the passenger side of the van and want to keep them open with a screen ober the space to keep the bugs out. The only problem is trying to keep the doors propped open, does anyone have any suggestions of how to do this?
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_2364.jpg (237.8 KB, 11 views)
File Type: jpg 20200613_215959.jpg (245.1 KB, 11 views)
Nads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 11:50 AM   #2
Platinum Member

I will bump your thread (a) because I have something to add but also (b) because I like your username. I don't know if you intended it to be read the way I read it, but I responded with a giggle.

Are you endeavoring to prop the doors open a little or a lot? Or you want both options?

Here are some ideas that you may be able to adapt.

(1) WIDE OPEN PROP FOR ACCESS - consider getting high-strength hook magnets such as the Master Magnetics 7580 and simply tying the doors to a pair of hooks placed on the body of the van on either side of the doors. When I'm camping, my van turns into a veritable Christmas tree of objects held onto the side of it under the awning using magnets like that one. It's got a rubberized back so it will not scratch the paint if carefully applied to, and removed from, a clean surface.

(2) NARROW PROP FOR VENTILATION - For instance if it's raining, even with an awning offering partial door protection, you may wish to maintain a small opening only (rain often comes with wind). This is a home-made prop that we made for our Sprinter rear barn doors, but there are several on the micro-market that could potentially fit your side doors. Or you could DIY one that fits. This one is made out of solid oak, which I do not recommend because I think it is of insufficient strength, but the steel version I am aspiring to purchase is not available yet:

(3) SCREEN - You did not describe what kind of screen you wish to use, but here are my DIY awning screen instructions in case they are of use to you. And a pic:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2020, 04:10 PM   #3

Hahaha well I'm glad you appreciate my name! It was a nickname from the guys at work so I figured I'd roll with it.
I like the idea of using magnets to hold the doors back. I've been thinking about putting a rod or something between the doors but there are some logistic problems that come with that!
As for the screen, there's a Magis Screen at Canadian Tire that will go in the frame with magnets/velcro. But your full awning screen would give us so much more bug freespace
Nads is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2020, 06:22 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I invested in a Clam Venture screened gazebo for this camping season, after hearing about it from several enthusiastic owners.

The awning screen is great - but it has the limitation of being a pain to put up and take down if you want, or need, to move your vehicle.

At my campsite, I ordered a permanent picnic table for the first time (to leave there year round), and this Clam will go around it. That way, I can drive away without having to break camp. I can leave all the gear where it is if I need to go to the grocery store (I have 5 acres down a gated private logging road, so there's minimal theft risk).

I'll still use my original awning screen, but mainly what I see is having it up in hotter weather when I want to leave the entire slider open all night (I have a DIY screen for the rear doors also).

I just got this Clam about a week ago. It carries easily on my roof:

InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-06-2020, 04:15 AM   #5
Platinum Member

I have a strip of hook velcro on the awning fascia. when the

the "as seen on tv" magic screen will stick to the velcro, that's what we use

when the awning is parked it can hang in front of the door, when the awning is out, I can hang more screen..unless it's windy.
but if it;s windy you dont need screen

Our van has a single side door, but our rear doors we prop using a rod meant for hanging "window treatments" home depot, rona/lowes

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote