Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-20-2020, 03:20 AM   #1

Default Holding tank sealant?

I have a 2002 Dodge Roadtrek 19P. The seal at the black water holding tank outlet split open. The original material, which I was able to ply off, appeared to be hard rubber, factory applied in a liquid form. I replaced it with JB Water Weld which worked well for 4k miles but the bond just failed in a few spots, causing a leak again. Anyone know what would work? Thanks
Whitebeard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:34 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Not being a smart ass but those words in the same sentence bring me nightmares;

Holding - tank - sealant - black.

There is a company in Southern California called Inca Plastics, perhaps it is better to put in a new black tank?

In the first few weeks of ownership before I lifted my rig 3 differebt times higher & higher, I got beached driving very slowly in a restaurant parking lot - the mickey mouse operation known as MEYERS RV (now out of business), tried sealing everything but its a truck, not a house, its always subjected to forces - I limped along for a year with that gray water smell surrounding my rig.

Changing it out, instant peace of mind.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 01:12 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I use Amazing Goop. Why? Because it's amazing and has never failed me in a wide variety of applications. Sticks to just about anything and stays strong but somewhat flexible. I think some flexibility is the key in your case.

https://www.amazon.com/Amazing-GOOP-...7929094&sr=8-2
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:39 PM   #4
Platinum Member

A photo would help to see what can be done. On my 2017 Trend, Winnebago had the holding tank outlet too low and I scraped and bent the pull handle leaving a driveway to a street with a deep gutter to street. The outlet was connected with rubber boots and screw clamps and I cut and adjusted the height.

MLogan
Smyrna, TN
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Low Drainage.JPG (569.6 KB, 7 views)
File Type: jpg Gray & Black Valves w collar.JPG (1.00 MB, 5 views)
mloganusda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 02:48 PM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mloganusda View Post
A photo would help to see what can be done. On my 2017 Trend, Winnebago had the holding tank outlet too low and I scraped and bent the pull handle leaving a driveway to a street with a deep gutter to street. The outlet was connected with rubber boots and screw clamps and I cut and adjusted the height.
+1. Those rubber boots are the secret to RV pipe repair of many kinds. They allow you to make repairs in places that otherwise would require removing tanks, etc. They are robust, easy to install, forgiving, and relieve stresses and vibrations.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2020, 03:41 PM   #6

Thanks for the info about Inca, might need them to replace my fresh water tank. The black water tank is fine, just the seal.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:42 PM   #7

Thanks, I'll check it out.
Old 08-20-2020, 03:50 PM   #8

Thanks but this is the tank outlet and the joint is almost flush with the tank face so nothing mechanical will work. It has to duplicate the factory applied rubber material.
Old 08-20-2020, 06:12 PM   #9
Platinum Member

Where are you located?

Because I know there is another manufacturer of tanks for RV'S in Florida.

AVANTI - Spot on Mate, if the application fits, they are a Godsend!
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote