Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-30-2018, 03:55 AM   #1
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

I we have a 1995. Xplorer Class B camper. It on a Dodge body. I have several different size windows in camper with different seals in each. Almost all of the seals have shrunk. I have filled in with black silicone but would like to replace seals for a much better looking job. Have been to many camper stores but unable to locate. Most just say use the silicon. Any suggestions to locate. Also no markings anywhere on Windows.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 02:28 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Is it really a seal or is it butyl tape?

Could you provide a picture?
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 04:29 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Very likely to be butyl tape as Bruce mentioned.

The repair would be to remove the window, clean off all the surfaces, apply new butyl tape and then replace the window. The excess butyl tape squeezes out and is easily trimmed off.

Alternately, I guess you could caulk around the window frames with a black caulk (maybe a urethane caulk). It won't look as clean of an installation as the butyl tape method would. You'll see the caulk.

Silicone should not be used.

1. Silicone doesn't seem to last long on automotive type applications. It'll start to come off at some point.

2. Once you've used silicone nothing else seems to adhere to it or the surface it has been on even after you've scraped it off and cleaned the surface.
markopolo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 08:58 PM   #4
Joe
Platinum Member

Send a message via AIM to Joe
Default Joe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruceper View Post
Is it really a seal or is it butyl tape?

Could you provide a picture?
I will try and add photo. Its is a rubber gasket type thing. I have had it out. Don't know what butyl tape is.
Joe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-30-2018, 09:48 PM   #5
Platinum Member

If you jump to about the 40 second mark of the video above you can see the user in the video applying butyl tape. Some users will also refer to it as Dicor which is a brand name of butyl tape.

Butyl tape is a thick, bendable, malleable, well sealing product that is typically used on RV windows, vents, air conditioners etc. After it dries it can kind of look like a thick rubber gasket.

It's quite easy to use, but sticky as heck. If you use it for the first time perhaps try some out on a piece of cardboard first. It is removed easily, but use the cardboard to kind of get the hang of it and then when you go outside to do the job you'll look like a pro.

As a note, on flat (ish) surfaces like the roof of an RV you would use butyl tape under something like a vent or AC unit, install the unit and screw it down and then cover each screw with self leveling caulk. This will prevent water seepage at the screws. Caulk is not necessary on side windows.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote