Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-17-2020, 09:23 PM   #1

Default 1993 Great West Classic Supreme???

Hi guys - newbie here. Looking at a 93 GW Classic Supreme Dodge 350, 318cu - 64K miles.

Systems seem to be in working order (brief walk-thru with seller) and test drove great. Listed for $15k from an individual on craigslist.

Does this seem like a good buy for a first timer? Any advice on what all
I should have checked out before attempting a cross-country trip?

Any input would be appreciated.
Melrae is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:41 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hi Welcome

before 1st use, spend some time in the driveway running the systems and becoming familiar.. especially if you have a companion on the trip ( toe-tapping)

gather all the manuals

check tires ( dot codes- replace at 6 years regardless of tread), oil and fluid changes

propane available at many truck stops and uhaul stores, learn how to dump the tanks.
youtube is your friend!

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-17-2020, 09:46 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply - does it seem like a good deal to you price wise? I realize it is pretty old, but def seems to be in good shape for the age.

I know very little about the different Class B brands... just know we can't afford the newer ones I am seeing!
Old 08-17-2020, 10:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I cant offer an opinion- covid has driven demand and supply nuts

the dodge 3500 was a popular and robust platform for B's at that time

I don;t think it is a bad deal- having driven it and you judge it drives well- that is a huge plus!

also check the "house" battery which powers all the stuff in the rear when you are parked and not plugged into power

run the genny, start it and after a few minutes when it stabilizes load it by running the rear AC on full- the genny should run smooth without rpms surging

look underneath for any damage to the tanks or the pipes underneath-

mike
Old 08-17-2020, 11:29 PM   #5

Thanks for all of the info! It’s a little intimidating trying to make a sound decision about buying something you know very little about. We will definitely take your advice.

It seems like a good deal in this market. you are right like everyone else, Covid has us ready to get on the road.
Old 08-17-2020, 11:48 PM   #6
Bronze Member

Not knowing what your budget is, there’s not much in the way of a class B you could buy for 15k. The 318 engine was fairly rugged if it were maintained right. I’m pretty sure it has the torque-flight trans, which is also decent. I’d crawl under it somehow and check for oil leaks on the engine, tranny, and rear end. Some “weepage” I would consider ok, just not huge wet areas. Definitely take it for a test drive. MK has some other great things to check out. Good Luck. Keep us updated on what happens.
Raxel7851 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:31 AM   #7

My husband did look under it a little bit when we went to see it. Someone sprayed insulation on most of the under side of the floor and tanks....? Definitely doesn't look rusty on the metal parts around the edges that you can still see. Is that concerning or strange?

Thanks again!
Old 08-18-2020, 02:41 AM   #8
Platinum Member

not strange at all- there are 3 tanks under there, fresh water, grey water ( sink drains) and "black" which is the toilet- also pipes connected to.

as long as this is intact you are good.

tested by adding water to the tanks and watch for drips

do you have a link to the ad- I'd like to see the pics

mike
Old 08-18-2020, 03:30 AM   #9

https://www.facebook.com/marketplace...2789959681521/

Also, he did say it only has 2 tanks - 1 fresh and a combo for gray/black.

We are going up Thursday to pick it up - unless we discover something AWFUL when we look it over again. So excited!
Old 08-18-2020, 03:38 AM   #10
Bud
Platinum Member

Hey Melrae,

In a sense you don't tell us much, "Any advice on what all I should have checked out before attempting a cross-country trip?"

The answer I suppose is what is Your weak link, What ends your cross-country trip?

Maybe I suppose it starts with your vehicle which is much like all of them. No spark plug spark, no trip.

Then there is your home, the B rv stuff. Do you Have to Have air conditioning?

What happens AFTER the trip, what is it all about?

I would be thinking: what can I do with 15K to accomplish my goals? e.g. what will $13 for a van and $2 to make it an rv accomplish? It is also a daily driver thing?

Please tell us more. Plenty here that want to assist.

Bud
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 03:53 AM   #11

Hubby and I decided to take a trip because we are both out of work due to Covid. Started with the idea of something a bit larger but after really looking decided we like the mobility of the Class Bs better. We aren't super picky, but would like some level of creature comforts - nice place to sleep, ways to cook for ourselves easily and somewhere nice to be after hiking/exploring all day. We plan to keep the van and use it for shorter trips after this big one - seems like the perfect way to take impromptu trips.

If the A/C breaks - we will make it, it has great fan in the roof and a second small fan mounted on the wall. I am mostly concerned about major mechanical problems that may strand us on the road or major electrical system issues - not being able to keep food cold or cook.

My husband would love to get his hands on a wiring diagram, or some sort of layout of the onboard systems so we can familiarize ourselves with how everything works. I have looked for youtube videos but haven't seen that exact model or as in-depth info as we are looking for.
Old 08-18-2020, 05:12 AM   #12
Platinum Member

get a road service plan
I use road america ( only because basic service is free with my Harley Owners Group and the all my cars and Rv upgrade is $50)
I've only used for my bike and well worth it

2 tanks?
It that case when dumping a few gallons of water poured in the toilet to flush/rinse out the combo tank into the dump station might be a good idea

wiring diagram will be unique to great west, but most of the appliances will be shared with other rvs

I hope a great west owner sees this thread and can offer some experience

I think that's a dandy looking unit from the pics.

Do the front seats swivel?
If so you may want to loose the extra seat and get some space

Mike
Old 08-18-2020, 01:24 PM   #13
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
2 tanks?
It that case when dumping a few gallons of water poured in the toilet to flush/rinse out the combo tank into the dump station might be a good idea
Isn't it the other way around?
One of the many advantages of a 2-tank system is that the gray water from the shower and sinks automatically keeps plenty of water in the combination black/gray tank. It is those of us who are cursed with having three tanks who have to be careful to keep enough liquid in the (needlessly) dedicated black tank.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 01:57 PM   #14

Definitely looking into a roadside assistance plan. My insurance company, progressive, offers one but it only includes 15 miles of towing and I’m wondering if I should have another one as well.

The front passenger seat does swivel all the way around, I think the driver seat only turns sideways.

From what I’ve read about the combo tank, it doesn’t seem like that bad of an idea. The guy did not seem certain about what size any of the tanks are. Would be nice to figure all of that out.

I am trying to find a mobile RV repair service to meet me at the gentleman’s house on Thursday and look over everything. I don’t want to push the seller too much because I feel like it is a good deal, even if it does have a few issues. I just want to have major systems checked by someone who knows more than we do.
Old 08-18-2020, 02:17 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Melrae View Post
Definitely looking into a roadside assistance plan. My insurance company, progressive, offers one but it only includes 15 miles of towing and I’m wondering if I should have another one as well.
Don't pay for the Progressive plan. Yes, it will be cheap, but 15 miles is nothing. Go with one of the major RV-specific services. Good Sam (which is the same as Allstate) is OK. Coach-Net is even better. They will cover all of your vehicles (not just the RV) with unlimited miles, and they have a US-based call center. If you go with them, don't sign up on-line. Call them instead. Ask the nice lady for a $10 discount and she will give it to you.

Stay far, far away from AAA. They are OK for cars (although unnecessary if you have Coach-net), but their RV plans are truly awful. You can find several threads on this topic that explain why.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 02:34 PM   #16

Thanks for all the great advice! After looking over the coach net website, seems like an amazing plan! We will definitely be signing up for that.
Old 08-18-2020, 03:52 PM   #17
Platinum Member

and make sure no holes in the roof!

when I bought I could see some scrapes, but wasn't really sure what I was looking at...I'd brought a ladder though

part of the TV antenna was damaged- it worked, but not as well as it could have, ( replaced in time)
I also had to seal the roof and added a venturi cap on my black tank vent to draw fumes out and away

my attitude of my seller went a long way and he was helpful in offering tips after the sale...when my house battery failed- the costco warranty was in his name and he did the exchange for me
mike
Old 08-18-2020, 09:34 PM   #18

Looking for parts for 1997 Great West RV
Btech is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2020, 10:15 PM   #19
Platinum Member

It would be a B350, not 3500 for that year which is a one ton chassis. The 318 (5.2 Litre) engine is of the Magnum line and has sequential multi-port fuel injection with the A500 transmission which is essentially an A904 Torqueflight trans with an overdrive.

The engine will go forever, change the oil once in a while and it will appreciate that. The transmission is robust and low cost to rebuild. Parts are plentiful for most of the engine and transmission except for AC lines, those need to be custom made if they need replacing. Custom lines are quite cheap.

For a few years now I have daily driven my 93 pleasureway B350.
Bruceper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2020, 12:06 AM   #20

Thanks, looking for a stub axle And hub for Passenger side. Rated for 4000 lbs. Can’t find one...
Btech is offline   Reply With Quote