Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-09-2011, 11:07 PM   #1

Default 1996 Rialta, new owner questions

Just bought a 1996 Rialta from my sister...her husband died and she has dystonia and drives very little. They bought the Rialta used with a dead transmission, automatic. He found a 1995 Eurovan with 5 speed trans and made a switch. I drove it for the first time today, liked it, and drove it home from SC to SW Virginia near Whitetop. Most of the way, it drove flawlessly. A few times, the check engine light came on and it would miss a little and lose some power...anyone have any thoughts about cause or how to pursue a remedy. Also, I have read questions about the different size tires on this Rialta...thoughts about putting the same size all around? I was impressed with the 2.5 L engine. Milage on it around 115,000. Any thoughts about switching engine oil to a synthetic, say Mobil 1? Any comments would be appreciated.
123gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-14-2011, 05:17 PM   #2
rem
Gold Member

The ties size is smaller for the front. There is not enough clearence to put the 215 in the front. You will be hitting the fender wells on sharp turns.Yes Mobil 1 , I use 5w30

rem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2011, 01:11 AM   #3

rem said:The ties size is smaller for the front. There is not enough clearence to put the 215 in the front. You will be hitting the fender wells on sharp turns.Yes Mobil 1 , I use 5w30

Thanks for your comments...just went out today for my Mobil 1...and will stick with the same size front tires.

123gocamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2011, 09:14 PM   #4

rem said:The ties size is smaller for the front. There is not enough clearence to put the 215 in the front. You will be hitting the fender wells on sharp turns.Yes Mobil 1 , I use 5w30

Hi

I have a 1996 and bought it last year, I had one garage change many thing and never found a problem but cost me $1200.00, I then went to a VW dealer and they said it was a problem with the complete fuse box and it was not delivering enough amps, it was giving me the same problem as you have discribe. They changed it and never had a problem again was a little costly $1,400.00 CAN.

Hope this may help you.

M Gaucher is offline   Reply With Quote