Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-19-2017, 01:22 AM   #21
Platinum Member

Hi again, Joe.
You spoke of removable poles. I just watched a video. Do two of the poles fold up inside of the actual awning? I have three disconnected poles. It's pitch black out right now... other wise I'd go play!
VTPete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-19-2017, 01:49 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Mine is a Fiamma awning. The two end poles are folded up in the awning. Connect the cranking pole to the end and start to roll it open. Mine does nothing for a few cranks and I have to pull each end out several times before it moves on its own with the crank. You roll the awning out a bit, then look inside the awning case. Go to the end and pull on the moveable joint. The pole now has a slight bend in it and is shortened down. This will allow you to release the end of the pole from the the middle of the awning case. (The ends of the pole have a metal, flat "foot" that slips behind a piece of metal. This set-up locks the poles into the middle of the awning case.) The pole can now be rotated down into its supporting position. Loosen up the knob to extend the pole and place it on the ground. (this procedure is difficult to explain in words)

There might be some written directions on the inner side of the awning, if not go to the Fiamma website for some info.
Old 08-19-2017, 12:11 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Welcome aboard, Pete!

The previous owner flushed the tanks with air in order to winterize them. You will need to do the same or put in RV (NOT automobile) antifreeze. RV antifreeze is non-toxic. It make the tanks stinky, though, so air is often preferred.

Is the front window leak from the windshield or the windows up above it? If its the windshield, that is something we experience on our old trucks - that gasket around the glass gets old and cracks. You might try putting silicone around them, but the leak may be coming from between the chrome ring and the body paint. My spouse was able to pull the chrome ring, silicone both sides of the gasket really well, and replace the ring.

If it's up above, I'll defer to those with a model similar to yours...
Old 08-19-2017, 07:29 PM   #24
Platinum Member

Another tip: (How many of you others knew about this???) GALLEY EXHAUST FAN VENT BAFFLE.....

There is an exhaust flap for your Roadtrek galley fan. It has an operating lever just to the right of the vent.... up high. The lever needs to be pulled out (right> ) to be operational while cooking and needing the exhaust vent. When you travel, the lever needs to be pushed back in (left<). this locks the flap in the flue and prevents it from flapping in the breeze, and keeps insects from your vehicle.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg vent1.JPG (72.8 KB, 9 views)
File Type: jpg vent2.JPG (75.3 KB, 8 views)
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 02:18 AM   #25
Platinum Member

It's the three "skylight" windows that are leaking. At least the left and right; not sure about the center window. It's funny every older Roadtrek of this make that I see photos of have the identical water damage marks on the wood below the windows!
Old 08-20-2017, 02:20 AM   #26
Platinum Member

Oh! I haven't used it yet, but THANK YOU!
Old 08-20-2017, 02:32 AM   #27
Platinum Member

I rode up into New Hampshire's White Mountains with my daughter today. About 270 miles in total. It ran great! What a joy to park and eat in the comfort of my own "living room!".

I think I now know just about all the ins and outs of this vehicle. The things wrong with it include the following. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts!

1) Both the vents and the cruise control don't work properly. All air blows only through the upper defroster vents. And cruise control doesn't work. Since both are controlled through a vacuum, I'm guessing I have a cracked or disconnected vacuum line. I'll probably find a Dodge mechanic to help.

2) The leaking "skylight" windows. That's a bummer. Not sure what to do about it!

3) The offensive smells from the previous owner's dogs, some musty upholstery and sides of a seat and the coverup scented sprays used. I've pulled up all carpets not glued down. (It's mainly the front of the van by the way.) Even the wrap-around carpet of the center console had to go it was so foul.) With the remaining carpets I'm treating, vaccuming, baking soda, hydrogen peroxide, sun, etc. Anything I can think of.

4) A bit of mildewy mold on the inside of the rear passenger seat "box". Tomorrow I'm going to paint it with Kilz on the inside.

5) The air conditioner compartment. The household air conditioner is being removed tomorrow. I can see some mold in the compartment behind it. The rear vents seem to let water splash in; weird design there! I'm going to take the opening in the front and build myself some kind of screened frame for it. For people without air conditioners, what do you do with that space?

Hopefully the smells can be fixed. I was wrong about the mileage... it wasn't 25K, it was 23K! Seriously! It might be worth finding someone who knows how to professionally remove and replace the carpets and perhaps at least one seat. Does anyone know of people who do that? I don't see anything online.

What fun I'm having! Thanks for all the great tips!
Oh, I need to buy a tank dump hose! I saw them today at Walmart while buying RV toilet paper and realized that when my tanks are full I don't have a hose to dump my RV's tanks!

-Pete
Old 08-20-2017, 03:59 AM   #28
BBQ
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTPete View Post
I rode up into New Hampshire's White Mountains with my daughter today. About 270 miles in total. It ran great! What a joy to park and eat in the comfort of my own "living room!".

I think I now know just about all the ins and outs of this vehicle. The things wrong with it include the following. Let me know if anyone has any thoughts!

1) Both the vents and the cruise control don't work properly. All air blows only through the upper defroster vents. And cruise control doesn't work. Since both are controlled through a vacuum, I'm guessing I have a cracked or disconnected vacuum line. I'll probably find a Dodge mechanic to help.
Check youtube. Lots of video on how to fix it.
Some are because of a disconnected vaccum hose.
Others are because the rubber hose has disintegrated because of age.

Quote:
2) The leaking "skylight" windows. That's a bummer. Not sure what to do about it!

-Pete
Check youtube. Lots of video on how to fix it.
You are not the first one to encounter this problem.
It is not a difficukt fix.
Old 08-20-2017, 10:29 AM   #29
Platinum Member

For your leaking skylight windows: I read on the Roadtrek@yahoo.com where an owner was having the age old problem - he went to A1 Glass and they removed and replaced all three - problem solved. Ron
Old 08-20-2017, 03:31 PM   #30
Platinum Member

When I bought my Roadtrek in January, it was stinky from cigarette smoke. I replaced the foam for the rear cushion seat/beds. Washed the cushion covers also. I also took my den's (Lasko brand) fan, placed it in the van and ran it for a full week WITH THE ION GENERATOR SETTING ON. This pretty much took odors out of permeable/fabric materials. I also wiped down ALL solid surfaces including full headliner. I am clean and sweet smelling now, or rather the van is!
gklugie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 03:56 PM   #31
Platinum Member

I'm glad to hear it's possible!
I've just spent a four hours cleaning. The cushions are in the sun right now. They are musty smelling. I'd love to just get new cushions entirely. Where did you get the foam for the rear cushions? (I don't suppose someone makes them to order, do they?)

The passenger side door is the worse. My guess is that an owner left it parked in the rain and it sat wet for quite some time. The fabric on the passenger side back door is the worse... I just tried very hot water and detergent and scrubbed, rinsed, scrubbed, etc. Once it dries I'll be able to tell if it's better or not.

I'm considering renting a steam cleaner for the attached fabrics. Anyone ever have any luck with that?

-Pete

Quote:
Originally Posted by gklugie View Post
When I bought my Roadtrek in January, it was stinky from cigarette smoke. I replaced the foam for the rear cushion seat/beds. Washed the cushion covers also. I also took my den's (Lasko brand) fan, placed it in the van and ran it for a full week WITH THE ION GENERATOR SETTING ON. This pretty much took odors out of permeable/fabric materials. I also wiped down ALL solid surfaces including full headliner. I am clean and sweet smelling now, or rather the van is!
Old 08-20-2017, 04:00 PM   #32
Site Team

There are also commercial establishments that can do industrial-strength ozone treatments as well. They can be helpful in many cases.
avanti is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-20-2017, 07:13 PM   #33
Platinum Member

You mentioned the black switch by the hot water tank - it is the switch you use if you are using electric instead of propane. Sounds like you are having a good time...it will get better as the problems disappear. Ron
Old 08-20-2017, 09:37 PM   #34
Platinum Member

You mentioned the black switch by the hot water tank - it is the switch you use if you are using electric instead of propane. Sounds like you are having a good time...it will get better as the problems disappear. Ron
Old 08-20-2017, 10:58 PM   #35
Platinum Member

Hi Ron,
I actually meant the switch next to it... which turns out to be the side "porch" exterior light!
I did my best to de-odorize the RV today, including every trick on the internet. I'm pretty sure I'm going to give up on the cushions and look for replacements. The hard surfaces clean up well, but even the fabric on the interior is a bit musty. It's going to be a slow process. I'm going to start looking for replacement cushions... I'm hoping I can just order some.

Has anyone tried steam cleaning the fabric walls? Or something like that? I've never heard of a professional ionization treatment! More to look up!

-Pete
Old 09-22-2020, 11:19 PM   #36
rsg

Hello all. I am new to this forum and picked up a used 2000 dodge Roadtrek 190 Popular. Just picked it up a couple of weeks ago but after getting it home, we're have a plumbing problem:
(No matter which way we turn our city "red by-pass valve" in the cubbie, it fills the fresh water tank in both positions.) I don't think it's suppose to do that. Thank you for reading my post and hopefully someone will have a solution for me.
Also, does anyone know where the overflow hole is on the fresh water tank? When ours gets full it belches out the fill hose in the rear door. (Don't think it suppose to do that either.) Thank you for any help anyone can give. Also, does anyone have the original RT manual (with pictures in it) for this model? Downloaded manual online but it doesn't have pictures.
rsg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:32 AM   #37

Welcome, from a fellow NH class B newbie!
Old 09-23-2020, 01:47 AM   #38
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rsg View Post
Hello all. I am new to this forum and picked up a used 2000 dodge Roadtrek 190 Popular. Just picked it up a couple of weeks ago but after getting it home, we're have a plumbing problem:
(No matter which way we turn our city "red by-pass valve" in the cubbie, it fills the fresh water tank in both positions.) I don't think it's suppose to do that. Thank you for reading my post and hopefully someone will have a solution for me.
Also, does anyone know where the overflow hole is on the fresh water tank? When ours gets full it belches out the fill hose in the rear door. (Don't think it suppose to do that either.) Thank you for any help anyone can give. Also, does anyone have the original RT manual (with pictures in it) for this model? Downloaded manual online but it doesn't have pictures.
It's likely that the valve is shot.

As far as water shooting out the fill hole, there is no other place for it to go. I and others here almost never hook up directly to a water tap. I just fill the tank at the fill hole and use the onboard pump. On my unit the black and gray units are getting pretty full when my fresh tank is low or empty
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 03:16 AM   #39
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum rsg!

Some have reported this happens when their water pump back-flow valve fails. It's still pumps water, but allows back-flow when hooked up the city water.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-23-2020, 12:04 PM   #40
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Welcome to the forum rsg!

Some have reported this happens when their water pump back-flow valve fails. It's still pumps water, but allows back-flow when hooked up the city water.
Oops. Forgot about that.
Just for fun:'15 Kawasaki Versys650LT
Perfection is a fantasy, though improvement is possible(Wifey).
SteveJ is offline   Reply With Quote