Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-30-2019, 01:39 AM   #21

Default Travato K or G

Go to the Travato owner’s and wannabes
Facebook group. Super helpful group and a great Ram ProMaster chassis. Solar with
AGM or lithium available. Used unit’s also.
KcSpikers is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2019, 02:17 AM   #22
Platinum Member

Default 2006 ??? RS Adventurous....

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
Hi Doug. We were looking for an RV for retirement and had settled on Class B. Did not know too much going in but were impressed with MB Sprinter Diesel, though we considered them outside our price range. Then we found ours, a 2006, and have been very happy with it.

Lots of good advice above. Best point: Have an idea of the kind of camping you expect. Lithium, solar, compressor fridge, etc are all valuable enhancements, but only to the extent they translate to one of your camping needs. Example-our RT has 10 gallon black water capacity. For two of us that means if we are boondocking without an alternative toilet, we need to visit a dump station every 3-4 days minimum. So things like solar that supports 2 weeks on battery is a waste of money for us. We did upgrade our coach batteries from one 12V at 90 amp hours to two 6V at 235 ah. That gives us 5-10 days on batteries. We are considering upgrading to pure sine inverter as we have found modern appliances don't seem to tolerate modified sine, even though the battery capacity is ample. All that does for us is allow some appliance use without starting generator. That is of value in national or state parks that limit generator run time.

Thought of compressor fridge, but opted to correct a problem ours had running on propane (new control board) and enhanced the airflow on the fins and it is now performing like new.

The MB diesel Sprinter can comfortably pull a Toad or motorcycle trailer, like its not even there. We get 22 mpg by itself, and 18+ pulling a Subaru Forester. You will need a manual transmission toad if you plan to flat tow.

All in all, lots of moving parts. I like that the class B feels and drives solid compared to class A or C and beats them on mileage. 27 gal fuel tank last 8 hrs, 500+ miles. It also pays same tolls as a car ( more if pulling toad).

Good luck in your research and selection.
How many miles are on your 2006?
And, the diesel engine is still fine, I presume...?

I decided to go for the diesel... even though a few people tried to tell me it was more expensive to maintain... maybe it's true to some extent??

I also have two 6 volt 224 amp hour batteries...

Our coach came with a Tripp Lite inverter and I don't think it's a pure sine wave model.... doesn't seem to bother our convection microwave oven at all.....WHY do you think you need to upgrade....if it's working, I wouldn't replace it.....Of course it fails, yes, pure sine wave is the best replacement....

Yes, generator use is limited in parks....

Please explain in more detail why you think solar wouldn't work well for you?? You mentioned that you have 5 to 10 days on batteries alone without solar... how's that?
Roadtrek Adventuous RS1 is offline   Reply With Quote