Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2021, 11:23 PM   #1
Gold Member

Default Bought our first RV

Hi all. I've been a member of the forum for a while, but finally pulled the trigger on a Class B. A 1998 Roadtrek 190 Popular. She's a bit rough around the edges, but has good bones. We started with a deep clean, then stocked it up and took it for a weekend shakedown trip. We love it! We live in the Vancouver BC area, and plan on taking it to the Okanagan, Vancouver Island, and Oregon coast in the coming months/year. I have tons of questions as we fix it up and fit it out. I promise I'll search old forums before asking anything.

The first upgrade was swapping out all the lights for LED's. I also had to replace the tank monitor switch. Next step is addressing some of the mechanicals. The transmission cooling lines are starting to crack and the transmission pan seal is weeping a bit. Also, we smell gas after filling up, but we don't see any leaks anywhere. Then I'll turn my attention to the road manners; new tires, check the shocks and the steering rack. This thing drives like a sailboat. Wow, it's overwhelming but a lot of fun.

Sorry for the stream-of-consiousness introduction. I'll post more as I go along.
Anachr0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2021, 02:27 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Adventure awaits!

Drive safe.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 04:35 PM   #3

We had the gas leak problem with our 2003 Roadtrek 190 versatile. Paid thousands to install 2 new gasoline tanks, but both developed leaks a few hundred miles down the road. Finally, a good mechanic shop diagnosed the problem as a design flaw by Roadtrek that puts too much stress on the connection that attaches the tank in its new position (allowing fresh water fill inside driver's door where the gas fill used to be).

That shop was able to solve the real problem by cutting into the basement storace a bit to allow the gas line to connect without forcing the plastic to bend unnaturally. Roadtrek was not interested in compensating us for the problem they caused. We hope you are able to find a good repair shop, too!
MountBranson is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 05:01 PM   #4
Platinum Member

i just replaced my fuel lines to the generator

they were old and rotted

I could smell gas but not see it

spraying the suspect area with dollar store foot powder will reveal the source of a seep- the powder washes away

when shopping mechanical parts, it is likely that your chassis is one model year older- my "2006 Pleasure Way" is built on a 2005 Chev

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2021, 08:40 PM   #5
Bronze Member

Quite often rotors will need to be replaced.
Both of my Roadtreks had bad rotors
Replace all belts and engine hoses that look aged. The generator will need some service and this requires removing the generator.
Do a thorough check of wiring damage in RV.
If there's a macerator fix or replace.
South is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 12:45 AM   #6
Silver Member

I have a 98' 190 Popular. Had gas leak in outside storage compartment. Replaced filler neck. Replaced transmission and rotor hubs. 3rd owner, have all maint records, now 116,000 miles, great condition inside and out. Me and the soon to be classic are getting old so not a lot of recent miles. Live in N. California and have made several trips to Tofino (Vancouver Island) and Gabriola Island. Bob
Bobow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-15-2021, 06:11 PM   #7
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MountBranson View Post
We had the gas leak problem with our 2003 Roadtrek 190 versatile. Paid thousands to install 2 new gasoline tanks, but both developed leaks a few hundred miles down the road. Finally, a good mechanic shop diagnosed the problem as a design flaw by Roadtrek that puts too much stress on the connection that attaches the tank in its new position (allowing fresh water fill inside driver's door where the gas fill used to be).

That shop was able to solve the real problem by cutting into the basement storace a bit to allow the gas line to connect without forcing the plastic to bend unnaturally. Roadtrek was not interested in compensating us for the problem they caused. We hope you are able to find a good repair shop, too!
Thanks. I'll have the shop take a closer look. My fuel filler is still in the same spot above the driver's side rear wheel and runs forward behind the fiberglass storage box. My water fill in in the back door jamb. But you're probably still right about the box interfering with the filler line. That's where the smell of gas is strongest.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:19 PM   #8
Gold Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bobow View Post
I have a 98' 190 Popular. Had gas leak in outside storage compartment. Replaced filler neck. Replaced transmission and rotor hubs. 3rd owner, have all maint records, now 116,000 miles, great condition inside and out. Me and the soon to be classic are getting old so not a lot of recent miles. Live in N. California and have made several trips to Tofino (Vancouver Island) and Gabriola Island. Bob
Yeah, the filler neck is likely it. I'm 4th owner on mine. Last owner only had it 3 months but lost his license for medical reasons. Previous owner had it for 14 year and took it to San Diego every winter. Summers were in the dry Okanagan in BC, so very little rust. He kept meticulous records. I have a notebook with every fuel fill-up with mileage and calculated MPG since 2012.
Old 11-15-2021, 06:20 PM   #9
Gold Member

I have to say, this is a great source of information and expertise. Thanks everyone!!! I hope to pay it forward as I gain experience in RV ownership.
Old 11-15-2021, 07:27 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Anachr0n View Post
I have to say, this is a great source of information and expertise. Thanks everyone!!! I hope to pay it forward as I gain experience in RV ownership.
Yes, it's a great clearinghouse of info.

By the way, you will never be an experienced RV Owner until you have enjoyed one* or two Black Tank Catastrophes after midnight, in the rain & snow, hundreds of miles from Home ..."

*there is more than twenty five to look forward to, I have found about ten
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote