Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-10-2022, 04:45 PM   #1

Smile Class B Noob - Great site...general question

Hello everyone!

'94 Pleasureway on the Dodge Ramvan B350 here, Colorado Springs is homebase.

After our first trip to Missoula MT to see my adult daughter I'm getting the idea that staying off the "Google-suggested" interstates will not only be friendlier for the max speed of 67 I want to do (you can tell the diff in gas economy over 70!), but also with some effort you can find shorter linear distances as well as the possibility of exploring new scenery.

I recognize the potential downside of higher priced, or perhaps even no gas along the way. We got skunked in Casper WY at Loaf n Jug last month, where we had 30 cents in fuel points. Had to bring them home to use them!

How do you all feel about that?

Looking forward to great discussions, and even helping out if there's a way I can. Thanks!!!
Maxgrateful is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 05:08 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hello and Welcome

My choice is usually a 2 lane road, speeds will be lower, scenery is better- I do the same when on a motorbike.

Those of us who were around for the OPEC crisis remember than mpg is better at 55 for most vehicles*
It takes energy to push a big heavy van through air

The gas buddy app helps us plan our stops and gives warning of a state to state increase. we have a range of about 425 miles and costco is often a better choice for a stop

But you don't want to avoid a great travel experience because of a marginal price difference- we do what we can

we also use apps such as rvparky to plan overnight ( or longer) stops.

for mapping I use a rand mcnally in addition to google maps and waze. the apps often want to send my off to run with the herd, so fiddling with setting such as avoid toll roads or avoid highways can show options
I've traveled professionally all my life, so I kinda know my way around

( recent trip returning to Phoenix passed through ABQ- google maps says drive to Flagstaff on I40, then South on I17.

I say drive 40 to Grants, 117 to find hwy 60 to showlow, 260 to payson and 87 to home.

Same driving time- shorter distance and lower speed saves gas- lots of )

safe travels, Mike

* my 74 Kawasaki Z1 900 manual advises best fuel economy at 72 MPH
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:02 PM   #3
Platinum Member

I agree with Mike. We usually drive alot on the 2-lanes. Just went up to Minnesota and did alot of it that way. We've done Mike's route to ABQ several times. It's almost nostalgic going through the small towns and a lot more interesting than the interstates. Road trip.
GallenH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 06:15 PM   #4
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
Hello and Welcome

* my 74 Kawasaki Z1 900 manual advises best fuel economy at 72 MPH
Hopefully the rest of the manual is sane and reasonable.
Bud is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2022, 10:18 PM   #5

Quote:

Those of us who were around for the OPEC crisis remember than mpg is better at 55 for most vehicles*
It takes energy to push a big heavy van through air

The gas buddy app helps us plan our stops and gives warning of a state to state increase. we have a range of about 425 miles and costco is often a better choice for a stop

But you don't want to avoid a great travel experience because of a marginal price difference- we do what we can

safe travels, Mike

I was a teenager during the OPEC mess, and developed a new resentment when the price doubled right as I was getting my first license!

425 mile range is impressive; I'm curious, is that gasoline?
Old 07-11-2022, 12:37 AM   #6
Platinum Member

We are currently planning a trip this September from Minnesota to Louisiana on US 61 which roughly parallels the Mississippi River.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 01:04 AM   #7
Platinum Member

I will mention that if you are in to custom routes so that you get to choose which roads you want to take, I have only found one way that works well and consistently.

I layout our routes on the roads of our choice on Garmin Basecamp on the PC or laptop and then transfer them to Garmin GPS that we travel with. Both the computers and the GPS use the same maps and algorithms, it appears, so you don't get the GPS freelancing and trying to change things on you. One of the best things that Garmin has is that you can tell it to use intermediate points only to determine the route, but not require you actually go there, which eliminates the constant "make a U turn" crap that most GPS units do to get you to go back to a point you missed for whatever reason.

Basecamp is kinda like Google maps for routes but a bit quirky. The learning curve is kind of long but worth it once you get the hang of it. We rarely go on a trip without at least the early routes planned and loaded, as I travel with a non map reader and that makes winging it very difficult.
booster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2022, 02:04 AM   #8
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maxgrateful View Post
425 mile range is impressive; I'm curious, is that gasoline?

I was working one of my first jobs at a gas station. 28 to 53¢ in 3 weeks.
While Canada did not see the shortages, lines, every other day policies, we did see prices shoot up.

yes, 2005 Chev chassis 6.0

I think most of us chev owners will see somewhere about 15 ~16 mpg at 65 mph 87 octane

Mike
Old 07-17-2022, 04:13 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Default Migration

I annually migrate Mt. To NC. Trip ranges from 2200-4200 miles. On those trips I maybe will do 50 miles of interstate total. Likely do more gravel/dirt roads than big highways.

The sameness of the I roads makes the road trip a bit pointless except as a way to reach a destination.

A typical day is 200-250 miles which allows time for hikes and just wandering.

My idea of a road trip.
Twinbridges is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2022, 09:23 PM   #10
Bronze Member

Nothing wrong with taking the scenic route when that is preferred, but most of my trips have a destination where I wish to spend some time. Often that means driving mostly on the highway to save travel time. One thing I do is drive below the speed limit and keep mostly in the right lane...65 is plenty fast no matter how much higher the limit. I find it more relaxing to just set the cruise control and let everyone pass me while GPS takes care of the route finding.

As to gas economy, probably less losses due to speeding up and slowing down on the highway vs secondary roads which should save some gas. And you've mentioned the likelihood of more reliable availability of gas or other services.

On the other hand, if exploring a larger area like the blue ridge parkway, etc, it would make sense to me that the traveling and the destinations along the way to be more equally important and I'd be on the scenic route.
SQUASHMIRE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-18-2022, 07:57 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Quote:
I was a teenager during the OPEC mess, and developed a new resentment when the price doubled right as I was getting my first license!
I was a teenager as well. Doubled to 50 cents.
Old 07-18-2022, 08:15 PM   #12
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by reilym View Post
Doubled to 50 cents.
about the price of a pack of smokes...
Old 07-18-2022, 08:42 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Totally agree, unless there's a need to get somewhere, we always choose the non-interstate when it's an option. Just prefer the scenery. And fewer trucks to deal with.
joelm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 03:10 AM   #14
Silver Member

Add me to those preferring blue highways.

The current trip started with 1500 miles of interstate, due to conflicting family commitments that were that distance apart and only 4 days in between. Since then it has been no interstate.

I'll use google for route planning and select the option 'no highways,' that does away with putting you on the slab, though sometimes the suggested road parallels the highway. In the middle of the country, sometimes the backroads are faster, because they are more direct.
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-27-2022, 12:33 PM   #15

Quote:
I think most of us chev owners will see somewhere about 15 ~16 mpg at 65 mph 87 octane

Mike
Ours is 5.9L, and we did get a hair over 16 MPG on our first leg. So, that sounds pretty consistent.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:36 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
We are currently planning a trip this September from Minnesota to Louisiana on US 61 which roughly parallels the Mississippi River.
That's what I'm talking about - driving along rivers is one of the most beautiful things you can do for yourself. I know from US 50 between Canon City and Salida in Colorado along the Arkansas is pretty spectacular.
Old 07-27-2022, 12:38 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sleeping Dog View Post
Add me to those preferring blue highways.

The current trip started with 1500 miles of interstate, due to conflicting family commitments that were that distance apart and only 4 days in between. Since then it has been no interstate.

I'll use google for route planning and select the option 'no highways,' that does away with putting you on the slab, though sometimes the suggested road parallels the highway. In the middle of the country, sometimes the backroads are faster, because they are more direct.
We've found a route that cuts off 100 miles from CO to the Twin Cities, and I'm excited to try it.

We are taking about 200 miles of interstate to make sure we get gas and a decent rest stop, but I think there are apps out there that will help with gas stations on back road routes...
Old 08-15-2022, 02:28 AM   #18

Quote:
Hello everyone!

'94 Pleasureway on the Dodge Ramvan B350 here, Colorado Springs is homebase.

After our first trip to Missoula MT to see my adult daughter I'm getting the idea that staying off the "Google-suggested" interstates will not only be friendlier for the max speed of 67 I want to do (you can tell the diff in gas economy over 70!), but also with some effort you can find shorter linear distances as well as the possibility of exploring new scenery.

I recognize the potential downside of higher priced, or perhaps even no gas along the way. We got skunked in Casper WY at Loaf n Jug last month, where we had 30 cents in fuel points. Had to bring them home to use them!

How do you all feel about that?

Looking forward to great discussions, and even helping out if there's a way I can. Thanks!!!

wow nice, I lived in Missoula for 4 years back in the late 90s/early 00s havent been there in ~20 years. how's the town these days?

when I use google maps to plan routes, there's a Route Options link - I like to check the boxes for "avoid tolls/ferries/highways" because I'm interested in the scenic backroads.

however, if you're interested in staying on the Interstates & you use the Chrome browser, try this plugin - https://chrome.google.com/webstore/d...lonlofgapjgfbp - it will optimize google maps routes - might end up saving you some miles.

in regards to the fuel prices - all I can think of would be to get a fuel card/membership like commercial trucking companies use. you'd be locked to those gas stations (Love's, Phillips66, etc) but there might be savings for that.
theLegionWithin is offline   Reply With Quote