Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-12-2017, 01:37 PM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Class B Search

Just signed up today so hello to everyone
My wife and I are actively searching for our first RV
Due to our HOA rules it will have to be a class B which will be used for travel and a second car
I have read some of the posts regarding gas versions vs diesel and must say that we share similar issues
Namely that at a little over 6 ft I do not fit comfortably in the Pro Master chassis which means I have been directing my attention towards the Sprinters. However my wife is concerned with the length which is usually around 24ft
Any thoughts are appreciated and again hello and thank you
TRFranta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:23 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by TRFranta View Post
I have been directing my attention towards the Sprinters. However my wife is concerned with the length which is usually around 24ft
Sprinter chassis are available in two wheelbases and three different lengths. The 24' ones are the longest of the three, but you can find rigs built on any of them. Ours is 22.7’, which is perfect for us. It is true that the 24' models tend to have longer beds, but there are exceptions.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 02:56 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
at a little over 6 ft I do not fit comfortably in the Pro Master chassis which means I have been directing my attention towards the Sprinters.
The Promaster comfort grows on you. At first I thought (like others) it needed a tilt wheel (The wheel does go in and out) and a left side arm rest. In addition it feels like you are stepping down on the brakes rather than pushing forward.

I'm 6'2" and now that I have driven it a while I really like it. Drives better than the wife's Buick Enclave. Put some weight in it and you get a nice ride.

It does takes some getting used to.
DCHitt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:10 PM   #4
Platinum Member

I have a Chev based pleasure-way lexor
at 6'1"+, I move around well in running shoes, not in heeled boots...
when shopping watch youtube videos of sales guys ( often large) and how well they manage to move around inside a van.
generally sideways sleepers will be too short for you, so you need a fore/aft sleeper.
how big a bed do you need-? we got the largest we could find ( 72W, 72L on pass side, 75 long on drivers side)...I have been surprised by other couples who were ok with 56" wide beds...
generally the more space devoted to a head/wet bath, the less space available for every other aspect of life in the van- I see a common floor plan trade off between bad size and bath...determine your priority

I have rented a Promaster variant in Europe- the roof height was totally fine for me.

although some manufacturers tout these as a "second car", you'd be nuts ( I think) to use a $100k RV for a "car" it weighs near 9000 pounds.
every start from a stop requires alot of energy slow to get to speed, every stop requires hard use of the brakes- extra following distance. every bump and shake and turn takes an incremental toll on the chassis and the cabinetry.

these things are best used for highway cruising between destinations.

you could about cover the cost of a smaller yaris/spark looking thing for the cost of fixing a worn out RV, brakes and suspension fixes are expensive, a tranny and motor will last much longer with steady even use- and fuel costs too. ride quailty, the suspension is built to kepe the heavy weight balanced on all 4 wheels, smooooth ride is secondary. oh and tires- my chev tires are about $200, some other models have tires which are much more expensive, and require a specialized shop to change them.

imagine using a uhaul as a 2nd car...

that's my 2¢

HOA- I live in AZ where HOAS rule some areas ( and that is why my previous owner had to fire sale his RV- he was allowed the park the RV at his home 3 days per year and had to apply in advance).

check very very carefully- a van/ conversion van are one thing , but a vehicle titled as a "rv" may be different.
You can try to sneak it in but the penalty if caught can be huge ( AZ allows HOA's right of foreclosure).
Optimal would be a letter from the HOA or HOA mgmt company ( who get a cut of fines levied!) spelling out the conditions under which your RV is allowed.

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 03:20 PM   #5
Platinum Member

We use our Promaster b as a second car mainly for shopping. I drives like a minivan and it has a tight turning radius, easy to park since its under 20', average parking space is 18' or less. Measure the parking spot you plan to park it before deciding on which length and add couple of feet. You may notice the Sprinters and transits are generally taller and longer.
mojoman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 04:58 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Read your HOA rules carefully and also get a feel for how they actually enforce them, because it can be selective. If I take my HOA rules literally, I'm not allowed to park my Class B overnight in my driveway. But it's actually legal for me to park it on the street in front of my house overnight (because the streets are not private - they are city property and the city defaults to state rules which only say that if the vehicle is current on registration, legal to drive, and moved at least once every 24 hours, it can be parked at the curb). The HOA knows darned well that it infuriates local residents if people park large vehicles in the public right of way - so if they hammer me for my driveway parking and I move it to the street, the HOA will get push-back from other people. So we do leave it in our driveway overnight while we're working on it, but not every night. We do rent an off-site garage as well, which is where it lives most of the time. I get to push the envelope, but not too far, in other words.
InterBlog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 07:13 PM   #7
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mkguitar View Post
I have a Chev based pleasure-way lexor
at 6'1"+, I move around well in running shoes, not in heeled boots...
when shopping watch youtube videos of sales guys ( often large) and how well they manage to move around inside a van.
generally sideways sleepers will be too short for you, so you need a fore/aft sleeper.
how big a bed do you need-? we got the largest we could find ( 72W, 72L on pass side, 75 long on drivers side)...I have been surprised by other couples who were ok with 56" wide beds...
generally the more space devoted to a head/wet bath, the less space available for every other aspect of life in the van- I see a common floor plan trade off between bad size and bath...determine your priority

I have rented a Promaster variant in Europe- the roof height was totally fine for me.

although some manufacturers tout these as a "second car", you'd be nuts ( I think) to use a $100k RV for a "car" it weighs near 9000 pounds.
every start from a stop requires alot of energy slow to get to speed, every stop requires hard use of the brakes- extra following distance. every bump and shake and turn takes an incremental toll on the chassis and the cabinetry.

these things are best used for highway cruising between destinations.

you could about cover the cost of a smaller yaris/spark looking thing for the cost of fixing a worn out RV, brakes and suspension fixes are expensive, a tranny and motor will last much longer with steady even use- and fuel costs too. ride quailty, the suspension is built to kepe the heavy weight balanced on all 4 wheels, smooooth ride is secondary. oh and tires- my chev tires are about $200, some other models have tires which are much more expensive, and require a specialized shop to change them.

imagine using a uhaul as a 2nd car...

that's my 2¢

HOA- I live in AZ where HOAS rule some areas ( and that is why my previous owner had to fire sale his RV- he was allowed the park the RV at his home 3 days per year and had to apply in advance).

check very very carefully- a van/ conversion van are one thing , but a vehicle titled as a "rv" may be different.
You can try to sneak it in but the penalty if caught can be huge ( AZ allows HOA's right of foreclosure).
Optimal would be a letter from the HOA or HOA mgmt company ( who get a cut of fines levied!) spelling out the conditions under which your RV is allowed.

Mike
Thanks Mike but I didn't just ask my neighbor I called the HOA for their guidelines
As far as just using just for long trips I think I would have to use it more often then that
We commonly take day trips to different parts of the state and would enjoy the comforts of a B
Thanks for your comments
Old 02-12-2017, 07:17 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Sprinter chassis are available in two wheelbases and three different lengths. The 24' ones are the longest of the three, but you can find rigs built on any of them. Ours is 22.7’, which is perfect for us. It is true that the 24' models tend to have longer beds, but there are exceptions.
May I ask which Manufacturer/Model your referring to?
Old 02-12-2017, 07:19 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mojoman View Post
We use our Promaster b as a second car mainly for shopping. I drives like a minivan and it has a tight turning radius, easy to park since its under 20', average parking space is 18' or less. Measure the parking spot you plan to park it before deciding on which length and add couple of feet. You may notice the Sprinters and transits are generally taller and longer.
I like the Pro Master but it just doesn't feel all that comfortable
At least not where I would want to drive long distances in
Thanks
Old 02-12-2017, 07:40 PM   #10
Site Team

Quote:
May I ask which Manufacturer/Model your referring to?
Ours is a 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE. Sadly GWV is now out of business, though.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:11 PM   #11
Platinum Member

Here's my latest version of Sprinter RV info for tall people. It includes the major manufacturers and is sorted by the three Sprinter lengths. It also includes dimensions of the bed and the calculated interior height.

About the calculated interior height: All high top Sprinters RVs have a interior that's about 75" tall, but some manufacturers put the AC air distributor (called a "plenum") above the galley or the front of the living area. The standard Dometic plenum is about 2.65". When located above the galley or living area, a tall person either has to walk under it or bang their heads. If the plenum is in that position and not above the bed, 2.65" has been deducted from the interior height.

Please, please, please if you notice and errors or omissions, let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf RVs for Tall Folks Feb 12-2016.pdf (76.7 KB, 20 views)
SiennaGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-12-2017, 08:17 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by SiennaGuy View Post
All high top Sprinters RVs have a interior that's about 75" tall.
Well, being 75" tall myself, I am very sensitive to this. There are significant differences between how much space various upfitters waste in building floors and ceilings. A couple of inches makes a big difference if you are tall. Best to try before you buy.
Old 02-12-2017, 08:46 PM   #13
Bronze Member

Thanks and your right just an inch or two would truly help
Looking at the Pleasureway FL
22' 9" and plenty of room for the driver(me)
Old 02-12-2017, 08:48 PM   #14
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by avanti View Post
Ours is a 2014 Great West Vans Legend SE. Sadly GWV is now out of business, though.
I heard from a dealer in Florida that they were well built
Old 02-12-2017, 09:37 PM   #15
Site Team

Quote:
I haven't seen one up close, but from the website that looks like an excellent choice. The floorpan is nearly identical to ours (and which is also used by ARV). By our tastes, it is pretty near ideal.
Old 02-13-2017, 03:52 AM   #16
Platinum Member

Quote:
I walked through one a few weeks ago. I'm 6'. I had to do the limbo to duck under the plenum in an Airstream but I was fine in the Pleasureway FL. I agree, it has a great layout! Both the microwave and the refrigerator aren't on the floor, either.
Old 02-13-2017, 04:10 AM   #17
Silver Member

Also consider the PW Plateau TS. No lounge up front, but still has enough room to swivel the cab seats. More importantly, the bathroom is much more spacious, not that it's huge, but at least one can stand during a shower, and there is storage and a counter. The FL bath is the same as the one in the Ascent. It is really tiny. Further, the TS has a full size wardrobe with drawers, keeping the bed/rear lounge completely open, as opposed to the hanging shirt closet over the ottoman on the driver side. Also, the FL has a small, 3.8 cu ft refrigerator, while the TS has a 6 cu ft, two door fridge. They both have the same bed size and external dimensions.

It's too bad PleasureWay doesn't use the extended chassis Sprinter. Then they could add a front lounge to the TS and have the best of both designs.
mtmdatlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-13-2017, 04:33 AM   #18
Platinum Member

I love the Pleasureway TS, but the last time I sat in the driver's seat, the wall of the expanded bathroom prevented me from reclining the chair with the seat all the way back. I didn't want to lay down, but I just wanted to recline the seat a bit to be comfortable to me. They may have changed it since then.

On the other hand, the TS storage closet isn't hanging just over the bed like it is in the FL. The over the bed location can possibly make it uncomfortable for someone who's tall and has big feet, or someone who's tall and has a foam pad on the bed.

I agree that PW should build the TS with a front lounge on the extended chassis.
Old 02-13-2017, 12:47 PM   #19
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtmdatlanta View Post
Also consider the PW Plateau TS. No lounge up front, but still has enough room to swivel the cab seats. More importantly, the bathroom is much more spacious, not that it's huge, but at least one can stand during a shower, and there is storage and a counter. The FL bath is the same as the one in the Ascent. It is really tiny. Further, the TS has a full size wardrobe with drawers, keeping the bed/rear lounge completely open, as opposed to the hanging shirt closet over the ottoman on the driver side. Also, the FL has a small, 3.8 cu ft refrigerator, while the TS has a 6 cu ft, two door fridge. They both have the same bed size and external dimensions.

It's too bad PleasureWay doesn't use the extended chassis Sprinter. Then they could add a front lounge to the TS and have the best of both designs.
My issue with the TS model is you can't put the seats back very far without hitting that wardrobe closet
Old 02-13-2017, 02:12 PM   #20
Platinum Member

Quote:
My issue with the TS model is you can't put the seats back very far without hitting that wardrobe closet
that happens alot in B's

Luckily I like an upright position in mine and have my seat forward a click and the back upright ( I have to be careful not to slam back as I stow a guitar back there!) and we almost never swivel both seats- we also don;t use either of the including tables- we are happy with trays if not at picnic table

But many others complain about seating in various models.

with your height you'll definitely want to check any model you put on the shopping list

in terms of quality- my 10 year old PW is very very solid. I have all solid maple cabinetry, every fastener required a 1/4 turn due to the wood drying out on the desert. all the systems are laid out very well.
I have found no oopses or neglect in the build

I don't really own any clothing which needs to be hung, the armoire has been converted to galley storage.
the top shelf was already there, lowered about 3 "

the middle shelf was added with a left over shelf and clips from our kitchen remodel

and the lower panel is access for the water pump- I just pulled it up, flipped it over and screwed the rails for the slidey basket onto it

mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote