Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-26-2018, 01:18 AM   #1

Default Complete Newbie--big breath & off I go

Just today I purchased a 2017 Travato 59G after months of researching options (towable vs. Class B), models, etc. To me it seems ENORMOUS after a Subaru Forester. I am a mature solo woman who never owned an RV or van before. Survived the 78 mile drive back from the rv dealer to my friends' house where I am staying for awhile (good friends who accompanied me on my test drives, the purchase, and the drive back, made all the difference). Love the feel of driving the van, am more confident now that I'll master it. The roominess and foldup bed are awesome. Will spend this week practicing backing up and parking, etc. in an empty church parking lot, until I feel very comfortable, also pouring over the manuals. Tons to learn! Feel like I'm entering graduate school for campervans. I definitely want to do as much boondocking as I can once I understand it all more. Have loved camping in the past and very much look forward to this new arena. I look forward to meeting new friends. I am sure I'll be posting many questions.
HawksGlide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 01:34 AM   #2
Site Team

How exciting!
Congrats.

The "enormous" feeling will fade rapidly. It will soon feel no different from the Subaru once your nervous system adjusts. There are really only two tricky things: (1) Learning not to cut corners too tightly--you have to learn to keep going straight till the last minute and then turn sharply; and (2) backing up. Use your camera and mirrors and (as you say) practice. It is good to get out once in awhile to get calibrated as how far you really are from obstacles.

Hope you have many great adventures.
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 02:51 AM   #3
Platinum Member

Congratulations!

I, too, found the initial period pretty daunting. But you'll pick it up with time...and there's always this forum if you run into questions.

Have fun out there!
Old 05-26-2018, 03:02 AM   #4
BBQ
Platinum Member

Congratulations!

The most difficult part about driving an RV is making the right turn -- you have to remember to turn wide; watch out for the pedestrians' toes.
Old 05-26-2018, 02:46 PM   #5
Platinum Member

After a dozen years with a Class B I am still a dyslexic backer upper, but after 2 years of having an Airstream trailer that I gave up on, the Class B is manageable.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-26-2018, 07:08 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by HawksGlide View Post
Just today I purchased a 2017 Travato 59G after months of researching options (towable vs. Class B), models, etc. To me it seems ENORMOUS after a Subaru Forester. I am a mature solo woman who never owned an RV or van before. Survived the 78 mile drive back from the rv dealer to my friends' house where I am staying for awhile (good friends who accompanied me on my test drives, the purchase, and the drive back, made all the difference). Love the feel of driving the van, am more confident now that I'll master it. The roominess and foldup bed are awesome. Will spend this week practicing backing up and parking, etc. in an empty church parking lot, until I feel very comfortable, also pouring over the manuals. Tons to learn! Feel like I'm entering graduate school for campervans. I definitely want to do as much boondocking as I can once I understand it all more. Have loved camping in the past and very much look forward to this new arena. I look forward to meeting new friends. I am sure I'll be posting many questions.
Thanks for the encouragement, everyone. I already feel surprisingly comfortable driving and make right turns and left turns. Made some parking/backing up progress in my first practice today and now at least feel I WILL be able to do it.
Old 05-26-2018, 09:43 PM   #7

Congrats....we are totally jealous!!! Funny...I just told my wife we need to sell everything and make our home a Class B.....she says we need a home base....I said the Class B would be our home base!
BigLew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 03:51 PM   #8

Default Right behind ya!

I am a semi retired camping fiend lady about to do EXACTLY what you just did. Great to hear about your process. Keep us posted and if you’re ever in Portland OR, look me up!
bonnober is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 08:56 PM   #9
Silver Member

Very relatable since I picked dup my 2016 Carado Axion just a few weeks ago! Another word of advice, don't keep appliances or electronic devices connected or powered (especially overnight) as it will kill the coach battery.
silex840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-30-2018, 11:12 PM   #10

Default Congratulations

I know how you feel but after 4000 miles In my 2018 G I am feeling pretty confident. If you don’t know already there is a Travato owners group on Facebook. They are the most incredible resource
Rharrismn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2018, 04:44 AM   #11

Default Congratulations!

Congratulations on your new Travato! We're new Winnebago Paseo owners ourselves. Definitely check out the Facebook groups for Travato owners and also check out the Winnie B's group: https://sites.google.com/site/winniebsclub/home

They have chapters and get togethers with other like-minded WGO owners.

We have learned SO MUCH by reading all the posts on these sites by current owners. Probably 90% of the modifications we've done, so far, have been sparked by seeing what others have done with their units. Hope to see some in person at the various rallies in upcoming months.

I am also adjusting to the larger chassis from our Subaru Outback - so totally get what you're saying. So far, so good.

Have a great time in your new Travato - they are great!
JSquaredB is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2018, 06:02 PM   #12

Great to know I'm not the only one. Thanks.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:04 PM   #13

Silex840, I guess great minds think alike. I just unplugged the microwave etc. today for exactly that reason. Want to be as power conservative as possible.
Old 06-01-2018, 06:07 PM   #14

Thanks for the Winnie online site suggestions. I had just seen the FB and asked to join 1/2 hour ago. Will check out the other.
Old 06-02-2018, 06:00 PM   #15
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by BigLew View Post
Congrats....we are totally jealous!!! Funny...I just told my wife we need to sell everything and make our home a Class B.....she says we need a home base....I said the Class B would be our home base!
Patch of land will fix that and for relatively little money! Can't move land!
silex840 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2018, 10:46 AM   #16

enjoy every day is a bonus
Tonycamco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2018, 09:12 PM   #17

I bought my 59G (2015) in late February and was scared to even test drive it at first. I now feel so comfortable driving it, I can't believe my initial trepidation. The side mirrors and back-up camera are your best friends. I have my side mirrors set so I can see the ground (to check for parking lot stripes and curbs) as well as all along the length of the Trav. I actually have better views with the Trav than I do on my car! You will soon love it and will be looking for new places to drive. Cheers!
Karenwho is offline   Reply With Quote