Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-04-2017, 04:44 PM   #1

Default Complete Newbie w/new Travato 59K

Hello, Everyone!

My partner and I have dreamed about a Class B for many years, and we are now about to take delivery of our very first RV: a new 2017 Travato 59K! We are so excited

I've been learning so much reading this forum. Thanks to all for sharing your experience.

All best,
Emma Joy
(EmmaJoy53)
EmmaJoy53 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 04:54 PM   #2
BBQ
Platinum Member

Yay !

The K is nice.

Make sure you join the FB Travato owners group.
A nice bunch there.
BBQ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 05:42 PM   #3
Platinum Member

The Class B Camper Vans group is not half bad either.
wincrasher is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Welcome and congrats!
avanti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2017, 06:35 PM   #5

Thank you so very much! I've applied to join both the travato and the class B FB groups.
Old 07-04-2017, 10:04 PM   #6
Platinum Member

Congrats! Hit the road as soon as possible, working the systems is a great teacher (and the manual at the ready). Oh, don't worry if you forget to take something, you will over pack, under pack.....and then - there is a Walmart on every corner. I wish you smooth roads ahead. Ron
Old 07-06-2017, 03:56 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron J. Moore View Post
Congrats! Hit the road as soon as possible, working the systems is a great teacher (and the manual at the ready). Oh, don't worry if you forget to take something, you will over pack, under pack.....and then - there is a Walmart on every corner. I wish you smooth roads ahead. Ron
Thanks, Ron and everyone else! I am quickly learning that the RV community is a friendly and helpful group of people We'll practice at home for a day or two, then head to a local park for a weekend with our two tiny dogs for our first "real world test." And, yes, we'll keep the manuals handy!
Old 07-06-2017, 08:10 PM   #8
Bronze Member

Congrats! That is exciting. Enjoy.
Lightfoot is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 12:30 AM   #9
Platinum Member

Congratulations! The Ks are great. Have fun!
Keyne is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:12 PM   #10
Platinum Member

Congrats! My wife & I are also new to this world. We bought our 2004 Roadtrek 190 Popular in September of last year. We have gone on about 7-8 trips as long as a week and had great times. We can also tell you that this RV community can't be beat - they are such friendly and helpful people!

One bit of advice from me that I don't think you'll hear elsewhere is to wait until you need something to buy it (there are exceptions such as a good surge protector [$200+] if you plan on ever hooking up to electricity). I had done so much research that I thought I knew what I needed and ended up not using such as an electric blanket. Also I got this highly recommended fan that probably works way better in larger spaces but for a little class b I think one of those oscillating ones work best. The take-away for me was there is a lot of info out there that relates more to RVs in general but not necessarily to van conversions such as ours.
ManWonder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2017, 06:35 PM   #11
Platinum Member

I hear ya...when we started out we bought enough toilet paper for a community; bought extra dump hose, elbows, etc, a dual propane fitting...that was for a trailer - still have most of it in the shop! Oh, the trailer was bought in the early 80's.....guess I'm a hoarder, or slow to rid the shop of worthless items, ha! Anyway, enjoy that B, we are on our second and it is a treasure to own. Ron
Old 07-07-2017, 08:06 PM   #12
Platinum Member

I hope you enjoy your new 59k as much as we do. It took too long for us to make a really good checklist so we remember to perfectly stow all the drawers, fridge, counter top, and stuff on shelves. Our big poodle travels leashed in her bed on the floor by the sliding door, and several mishaps -- all our fault -- understandably frightened her. (Opening fridge, opening kitchen drawer, falling item....). Though she isn't a shrinking violet personality, now we must work with her to overcome hesitancy of travel in the van. I understand why airline flight attendants seem so neurotic pre-takeoff. The care you need to prepare to head out is way more than just hopping in a car, especially if there is something you love back there.
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2017, 06:18 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Saldar View Post
I hope you enjoy your new 59k as much as we do. It took too long for us to make a really good checklist so we remember to perfectly stow all the drawers, fridge, counter top, and stuff on shelves. Our big poodle travels leashed in her bed on the floor by the sliding door, and several mishaps -- all our fault -- understandably frightened her. (Opening fridge, opening kitchen drawer, falling item....). Though she isn't a shrinking violet personality, now we must work with her to overcome hesitancy of travel in the van. I understand why airline flight attendants seem so neurotic pre-takeoff. The care you need to prepare to head out is way more than just hopping in a car, especially if there is something you love back there.
Thanks, that's really helpful! I hope your poodle is becoming ever more comfortable in your coach. We have two little papillons. Both travel well in cars, but we will prepare for them carefully and start with some short overnight trips before we go cross-country!
Old 07-15-2017, 07:16 PM   #14

Default New RVers with dogs

Quote:
Originally Posted by EmmaJoy53 View Post
Thanks, that's really helpful! I hope your poodle is becoming ever more comfortable in your coach. We have two little papillons. Both travel well in cars, but we will prepare for them carefully and start with some short overnight trips before we go cross-country!
We took your advice to heart, Saldar. We parked our coach on the driveway, brought our dogs into the coach and let them sniff about. Then we sat with the dogs on the beds and relaxed as usual, watching TV and chatting. The dogs quickly felt at home and claimed their special corners, while we figured out where to feed them, where they would sleep, etc. After a few days of this, we took our first trip: two nights out, 20 minutes from home. We remembered (almost) all of the latches on the storage spaces and refrigerator, and didn't have any loud noises from the load. The dogs were wonderful travelers and adequate campers. They were confident entering and leaving the coach. They love the camping life: lots of long walks, catching bugs by the fire, and feeling "dog tired" at the end of the day! I hope your poodle is doing well and traveling happily!
Old 07-15-2017, 08:05 PM   #15
BBQ
Platinum Member

+1

It's great to hear a report like this.
Old 07-15-2017, 10:20 PM   #16
Platinum Member

I'm glad your pups had a first good trip. I hope you did, too!
Saldar is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
59k, travato