Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-25-2021, 03:26 AM   #1

Default Glad to be Here!

I currently own a NuCamp T@B and pull it with my Toyota 4 Runner. My hobby is showing my Salukis in Conformation and other Dog Sport. Since the 3rd baby came home the tear drop and 4 Runner are jammed to the max. I cannot fit a thrid crate into the camper and one barely fits into the 4 Runner. My only cargo spot in the SUV is the passengeer seat.

So I am looking at Class B's. The ones that have caught my eye as far as floorplan and price are the Hymers and Travato. I have been inside the Hymer Carado Banff and love the floor plan. It would work well with my 3 crates. Am considering a deal but Winnie is most intriguing.

My first questionf for the forum is: What are the exact measurements of the twin bunks in the Travato 59K? I am trying to decide if my 3 crates will fit and leave me enough room to sleep. Can they be configured to make one large bed?

Second question: Love the awning style of the 59K. Is it strong enought to withstand moderate winds? Thanks all for any intel.
SalukiGal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-25-2021, 02:07 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum SalukiGal!

We on this forum love our class "b's". But floor space and storage space is tight. I don't know how (or even if) three large dog crates would fit in any model. Even if they travel outside of crates and the crates are collapsible, it just doesn't seem to work. We travel with one 70 lb Standard Poodle (no crate) and we are contantly stepping over or around him. I feel like two people and one large dog works better than one person and two (or three) large dogs.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-26-2021, 06:27 PM   #3
Silver Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalukiGal View Post
My first questionf for the forum is: What are the exact measurements of the twin bunks in the Travato 59K? I am trying to decide if my 3 crates will fit and leave me enough room to sleep. Can they be configured to make one large bed?

Second question: Love the awning style of the 59K. Is it strong enought to withstand moderate winds? Thanks all for any intel.
You maybe better off buying a utility van and building it out to suit your needs. There are a number of companies, Sportsmobile comes to mind, that can create something to spec. It may even be less expensive than an off-the-lot model.

Another thought is to look at a Class B that features a 'garage.' An example is the Winnebago Revel, but there are others. The bed in these is a loft or murphy bed style and there is open space below the bed. If you don't need a wet bath that frees up lots of space.

Good luck
Sleeping Dog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-29-2021, 06:43 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SalukiGal View Post
I currently own a NuCamp T@B and pull it with my Toyota 4 Runner. My hobby is showing my Salukis in Conformation and other Dog Sport. Since the 3rd baby came home the tear drop and 4 Runner are jammed to the max. I cannot fit a thrid crate into the camper and one barely fits into the 4 Runner. My only cargo spot in the SUV is the passengeer seat.

So I am looking at Class B's. The ones that have caught my eye as far as floorplan and price are the Hymers and Travato. I have been inside the Hymer Carado Banff and love the floor plan. It would work well with my 3 crates. Am considering a deal but Winnie is most intriguing.

I can't help with your questions but wanted to mention I was at some Fast CAT events earlier this summer and got to look at a woman's van that she is building out. Her husband is doing the work, I believe. I think it was on a Sprinter chassis and probably a utility van. It was tall. She has sighthounds that she shows, so they had installed the bed as a loft just high enough so it's above the crates. She had a regular upholstered chair and a portable camping toilet and a small fridge. They were planning on doing some more work yet on it, but I don't think she plans to have all the features of a Class B. Have you checked the brochure for the Travato to see if it gives the bunk measurements? I agree with the others about space in Class B's being tight in general, but I have an older one (1999 Roadtrek 190 Popular) so I can't compare to what you're looking at. I've been traveling to dog shows for 12+ years in Class B's, but I'm traveling with miniature dachshunds. I did have 8 in 6 crates but am down to 5 now in 5 crates. I have 2 twin beds so all of the crates sit on 1 bed while I'm parked. It does make a bed clear across, which most of them do convert to that. So that would work for you. I used to have a Doberman but can't fit her crate in my Roadtrek. I'm not sure how I would travel with a large dog now while still having the dachshunds.
Pam G is offline   Reply With Quote