Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-28-2021, 10:58 PM   #21
Bronze Member

Default Suggestions

Just chiming in here to say that truck stops and bars are some of my favorite places to park. I've not been harassed even once after doing it at least a couple hundred times. Bars and restaurants generally leave you alone because a lot of folks leave their vehicles after drinking too much!
shelw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2021, 05:23 PM   #22
Gold Member

I think you will appreciate the freedom that your class B offers. As others have mentioned, I often park in the driveway of a friend or relative when visiting. Most of my kids don't have an extra room for me to stay in, so my Roadtrek allows me to visit and stay awhile. Stopping at rest stops whenever I need a meal or a nap makes the long trips so much easier.
Anyway, I hope the RV lifestyle suits your needs.
Old 11-30-2021, 04:57 PM   #23
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ray B View Post
Yes, the lifestyle change will need adaptation. What we learned after the first year, was that living on the road is not a race. Slow down, take it easy - this is now your life. You're not a tourist, and with the exception of the odd special occasion, you usually don't need to be anywhere specific. Driving less will cut down on your monthly expenses - especially in the current climate of rising gas prices. Learn to enjoy life itself. Plan to go and stay at places you've always wanted to go. Follow the seasons ... we try to be in the daytime high of 70 and in the 50's at night. See friends old and new. We thoroughly enjoy it.

God bless your sojourn,
Ray B.
Ormond-by-the-Sea, Florida
2012 Pleasure Way Plateau TD
Well stated ...
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
themexicandoctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:52 AM   #24
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hbn7hj View Post
Myself and friends will be in Moab in the spring. PM me when you are ready to come on down.
Oh, I'm down. Southern Utah desert is where I thrive! Thanks!
dashriprock1974 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-01-2021, 01:55 AM   #25
Bronze Member

Super useful, practical advice. Thank you. It sounds like keeping things simple in every context might do me some good.
Old 12-01-2021, 01:57 AM   #26
Bronze Member

Thanks for your service and your response.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:17 AM   #27
Bronze Member

Quote:
Perhaps a class C would suit you better. Certainly they would be cheaper than a B tho more expensive to move around.

Also consider not being full time to start. Perhaps base out of a friend’s house to return for mods and upgrades. Get the highest quality unit you can afford. Getting one that disintegrates due to water leaks or rust three years down the road is not good.

There are few, if any, (read none) RVs built for full time, comfortable, off grid living out of the box.

The cheaprvliving videos are informative but they are from the bottom dollar perspective. On the other hand it is not reasonable to stay only in RV parks.
The Era is paid for along with a years insurance and I pick it up in 2 days so commited to a class b in that respect. I wanted a class b for the obvious reasons but also, because it is small, I won't spend all my time inside. I am going to stay near family and the dealer until the first of the year and then venture out. I guess that whether or not they are built too last while full timing never crossed my mind until I read in the back of the ERA manual it is built for occasional living. But if you keep moisture from building up inside, you should be ok. I don't know. That's just what it says.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:18 AM   #28
Bronze Member

Slowing down is something I am interested in.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:21 AM   #29
Bronze Member

That's kind of what I've been thinking. I can driveway surf until I get some debt paid down.
Old 12-01-2021, 02:23 AM   #30
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashriprock1974 View Post
Thank you for the tips. Regarding your comment on batteries, I asked the dealer to install new AGM's for the chassis batteries. Hopefully this wasn't a rookie move. When I've used AGM's in automotive and powersports applications they seem to last longer and don't seem to be affected by temperature extremes as much as traditional lead-acid.
It was a sophisticated move, not that of a Rookie.

I would like to suggest a brand I use but it seems I have been over enthusiastic about the recommendations in the past.

Starts with an L, ends with a E.
Full Timer in a 2005 Roadtrek Versatile 190/Super Modified & Lifted, Two 220ah Lifeline 6 Volt AGMs in Series, 250 watts Solar, Victron BMV712 Meter & Victron MTTP 100V/30A Solar Controller, Magnum MMS1012 Inverter Charger, Onan 2.8 Generator, Novakool R3800 Fridge & more ...
Old 12-01-2021, 02:29 AM   #31
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dashriprock1974 View Post
The Era is paid for along with a years insurance and I pick it up in 2 days so commited to a class b in that respect. I wanted a class b for the obvious reasons but also, because it is small, I won't spend all my time inside. I am going to stay near family and the dealer until the first of the year and then venture out. I guess that whether or not they are built too last while full timing never crossed my mind until I read in the back of the ERA manual it is built for occasional living. But if you keep moisture from building up inside, you should be ok. I don't know. That's just what it says.
I don't know much about ERAS & am surprised they would even print such a statement. There are a few products out there that can cut down on moisture buildup.

Enjoy your new home Mate, don't let the Negatives get any momentum...
Old 12-01-2021, 02:32 AM   #32
Platinum Member

There has to be some "ERA" focused threads on here.
Old 12-01-2021, 04:39 PM   #33
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by themexicandoctor View Post
I don't know much about ERAS & am surprised they would even print such a statement. There are a few products out there that can cut down on moisture buildup.

Enjoy your new home Mate, don't let the Negatives get any momentum...
Thank you. I'm doing my best to see this as an opportunity to make connections and expand my mind and spirit. Although, admittedly, staying in the "can do" frame of mind hasn't exactly been my specialty lately, I'm extremely adaptable, or at least, I believe I am. I'm not sure when life became so serious! Oh well. I just spoke with the dealer and my Era is all ready,(according to them), for pick up. Any thoughts on what you may or may not wish you would have asked when you picked yours up and had your walkthrough?
Old 12-01-2021, 06:42 PM   #34
Platinum Member

I purchased my Rig privately.

My suggestion is only that since you are a first timer, video tape all the verbal instructions like dumping the tanks, battery maintenance, propane fill, etc - the very detailed stuff you are less likely to remember
Old 12-01-2021, 08:28 PM   #35
Bronze Member

Quote:
Well, you are in for a trip. The fact that you are not doing it bottom dollar will help. You will spend a lot of your time providing and managing power. You need to figure out how much you need and how you are going to get it and store it.

Just my opinion but if you are going to use lead acid batteries you need to look into solar. Lithium batteries pair better with generators.`

It has taken me five years to adapt a class C to off grid living so it may take you a while. The latest additions of Starlink and a gasoline furnace may have finally done it but it may show I need more power.
What is the starlink and what are the advantages of a gasoline furnace?
Old 12-05-2021, 09:33 PM   #36
Bronze Member

That"s the approach I think I'll start with. Thank you