Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-02-2022, 05:57 PM   #1
Platinum Member

Default Greetings All!

After having a few emails with booster, I promised to make my introduction. So here goes:

I am Jim, aka phantomjock. Yes I did, and a number of other "odd" things in the USAF. Being an engineer, they could find all sorts of interesting things for me to do. We both retired and went to sea, crossing oceans, exploring various countries, and naturally as the cliché says; "fixing our boat in a series of exotic places." Our sailing experienced may lend some similarity to "land yachting," and may not. Certainly the "anchor watch" is much easier!

My other avocation is road racing. We tired of crappy, overpriced hotels near the track, so my crew chief (wife) said; "Let's get an RV." More relevant than any HOA [we have none], her criteria required it fit in the driveway. Mine obviously, it had to be able to tow the race car.
[Note: the white one sold the weekend we got back. Now to finish the one "under wraps"]

Our "find;" a very good condition 2008 RT170P. Our first mission was to deliver it from New England to the Panhandle of FL. On the second night out, the temps dropped considerably and the starting battery died. House was good - but no way to link the two - like we could on our sailboat and, no "real" battery monitoring capability [Note to self...]. Fortunately, we got great assistance from the General Manager at the Cracker Barrel we were dry camping in. He got us jumped and pointed us to the local auto parts store for a replacement. No worries, we can do this.

I've been pouring over the forum for some time now, and am impressed with the wealth of knowledge, assistance available, and willingness to share from personal experiences. Thanks to all in advance!

We plan a few upgrades naturally. So far, I've removed the ONAN, pre-purchase it was noted to have been placed out of service due to a fuel leak. And, there was and some noticible rust on it and the battery tray. Although I've not personally heard it run, but can imagine the attendant noise sandwich* will be less than desirable. We'll be considering all the options. I serviced the battery tray, and it is now "Bristol."

Our high priority is understanding the 12V consumption, the system capacity, charging options, and choice of batteries. I am also preparing to clean up the chassis and undercoat it, and then de-winterize the systems-this is Florida after all. Then, we'll spend several local days out to trial the systems, and some local park checking. Next, we'll get ready for the 2023 racing season, and exploring the USA between events.

Hope to meet some of you "out there!"

Cheers - Jim (and Nancy)

*Noise sandwich - thanks to Davydd
Attached Images
File Type: jpg NEW STABLE.jpg (194.3 KB, 81 views)
File Type: jpg CARD FACE2.jpg (23.1 KB, 148 views)
phantomjock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-02-2022, 10:29 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hello & Welcome

Does a Florida van require undercoating once you clean it up ?

Mine is an AZ van and like my cars everything is clean and any fastener will turn without heat or penetrating oil.

Having owned cars in Ontario, I like that.
alot.

You may find that your 08 RV is on an 07 chassis, which is common with RV's.
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2022, 01:13 AM   #3
Platinum Member

mkguitar -- Thanks for the comments. Doesn't require an "undercoating" per se, but nice to preserve and protect, as we do get some salt spray when beach side. Also a bit of preventative and restorative action from some of the time it spent "up north."

I suspected that it might have been a 2007 chassis - but is documented/titled as a 2008 - Canadian built Chevy with a 2008 RT build. I'm trusting the state review of the VIN - but who knows? Stranger things have and can happen. [that is intended as an apolitical comment - but this comment might not be so construed(?)]
Cheers - Jim
Old 12-08-2022, 04:30 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Welcome aboard, if Booster got you in that is instant street credit.
engnrsrule is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2022, 06:10 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by engnrsrule View Post
Welcome aboard, if Booster got you in that is instant street credit.
Don't know 'bout my street creds - but, booster was kind enough to answer a few questions even though I hadn't introduced myself. I had joined however.

Enjoying this forum a lot.

Cheers - Jim
Old 12-08-2022, 06:41 PM   #6
Bronze Member

If you can fly and float ---RVing is nothing but fun.
When the WX gets bad--stop --your home!
When it breaks stop--relax --fix it when you want to --your home!
If the crew is ready to mutiny ---relax there's always a motel 6 with a light on!
IF the MUTINY is really getting out of control there's a Hilton with a spa! --and down the street there's a garage or a 'club'. Life is good with life on a roll !!
JPMcG is offline   Reply With Quote