Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-15-2020, 08:40 PM   #1
Silver Member

Default Greetings from Lake Tahoe!

Hi, I just retired and am looking to buy a Class B RV or converted van for recreational use (camping and road trips). I am a healthy and active single female in my early 60s and have a lovely canine companion who will join me on my travels. This Forum looks like there will be a wealth of information and support! I have a list of criteria which I will post in the general discussion thread in hopes that experienced Class B RVers can point me in the right direction. Thank you!

Vee
Vee and Zeekie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-15-2020, 09:00 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hi Vee and Zeekie
Welcome

best advice I can give is go look at some units and get a feel for the advantages & compromises of different layouts.

watch online sales videos and watch how the often large salespeople move around inside- watch for "features" where you have to move this to access that and then...

( I have seen stovetop covers which once removed you are standing there wondering where to put the darn thing!...on mine 2 support rails pull out of the cabinetry and my cover extends the countertop an extra 20")

we rented a unit and looked at close to 30 and each experience helped us narrow down the features we wanted- ex: tall people probably don't want a sideways sleeper.

cheers, Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-16-2020, 12:46 AM   #3
Silver Member

Thank you for the tips Mike! I live in Tahoe where there are really no places to look at them. I will head down to Sacramento once temps are not in the triple digits! There are a few dealers down there.
Old 08-16-2020, 01:21 AM   #4
Platinum Member

you are in a hub for travelers- don't be afraid ask people at the supermarket etc
I have been an asker and an askee

a quick look at the reno/tahoe craigslist shows a few B's around your area

such as:
https://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/d/ca...174301010.html

https://reno.craigslist.org/rvs/d/re...168277669.html

for dealers, you'll likely have to go down the hill.

demand is much higher than normal- availability low, prices high

mike
Old 08-16-2020, 03:47 AM   #5
Silver Member

Hi Mike,

Thank you for the leads and tips. I actually inquired about the Pleasure Way for $35K in Carson City and it had been sold. The other vehicle didn't interest me as much. Yes, you are right that prices seem to be high right now due to demand. The NADA guides have much lower numbers of what these things should cost.
Old 08-16-2020, 06:52 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vee and Zeekie View Post
The other vehicle didn't interest me as much.
true , but if you can go and look at RV's ( even if too big, too old or out of the price range) you will learn something and when you find the "right one" you'll know right away- from all the duds you saw before

like dating

mike
Old 08-16-2020, 05:48 PM   #7
Silver Member

Yes, this is true! I definitely chat up my neighbors when they have a Class B. Most people seem to like to talk about them. We are the midst of a terrible heat wave so this needs to end before I head down to Sacramento, Reno, or Carson City! It's even hot in Tahoe!