Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-09-2020, 09:11 PM   #1

Default Greetings! Here to learn

My wife and I are looking at getting an RV over the next year or two so that we can travel extensively when we retire. I am leaning heavily toward a Class B due to its mobility. I'm just here to learn and so I may ask questions from time to time. Otherwise, I'll just be reading and learning from those of you who already are experiencing living/traveling in a Class B. One question that's at the top of my list is: Is there a Class B with strong lithium batteries and a dry bath?
Darter Man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 09:50 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Hey,
Welcome to the Forums

watch videos by sales guys on youtube- WATCH how easily ( or not) they move around the cabin as they explain the features in various models
watch for "moving this to get to that" now imagine doing that in a rainstorm with another person there.

a side ways sleeper will have a shorter bed than a fore/aft.
I'm not a fan of mechanized sofa beds, which often need a tetris of cushions to make a bed. the mechanics are another thing to break and you may not have much storage available

I have an older unit and use lead/acid deep cycle marine batteries. we don;t shower in our van ( vapor) we are either where we can use a shower ( campground) or in the middle of nowhere and use the outdoor shower- many B's have an outdoor wand for showering, cleaning fish or muddy boots ( dogs)

The B's big advantage is MPG ( solar panels reduce) , ease of driving and ease of parking. Other wise the cost is highest per sq foot of RV's

there is always a debate on gas vs diesel- if you work on your own stuff gas is likely easier. a diesel will require dealer service.
some makes have parts supply chains across the ocean
( I have a Chev which can be fixed by anyone, anywhere with parts from napa- it shares architecture with my pick up so I am familiar with layout and common fixes)

watch videos, go to an RV show and spend time in the space. the features which are important to you will sort themselves in order of priority

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 10:26 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Class B have been pretty much the leader in lithium batteries because they are the RVs that have the reputation of going anywhere which leads to more off grid living opportunities. That's just my opinion and observation. The larger motorhomes just assume they are mostly going to campgrounds to hook up to shore power. The Volta 56v lithium system is the top of the line and Advanced RV and Winnebago offer it. There are many 800ah lithium systems which reach the limit for other battery systems like AGM lead-acid mainly because of space and weight limitations. So, yes just about everyone is offering lithium battery systems from a minimum of 200ah in 12v batteries up to about 800ah. So, in a nutshell Class Bs have just about anything you want in lithium ion. Don't ask me about voltage, watt hours and amp hours other than to say that Volta systems offer more power than most all the 12v systems. As for needing that power the next question and answer is you can run air conditioning all night. That seems to be a holy grail to seek. Almost. I don't worry about it living in Minnesota and going south in the winter. A Floridian might have a different take.

Class Bs have about 60 sf up to about 90 sf depending on length behind the cab area. There is not a lot to work with. Thus a wet bath meaning your bathroom is your shower with a toilet protruding in it mainly to save precious space. There have been some attempts to have a separate shower room but if you want one then 30" square is a minimum or you are wasting a desire. With narrow Class B's there is a limited way to get a 30" sq. shower in. Wet baths are not bad. It is perhaps the best way to keep a bathroom clean and you generally have a wrap around curtain to protect the walls to eliminate wipe downs. I'm in the process of designing a a 31" x 38" wet bath with a toilet intrusion but not where I would stand and throw out my elbows in one of the smallest Class B on the market, a 144" WB Sprinter. It will be a custom design first. So, I guess all things are possible. You are not going to take a traditional style shower that you might have in your home standing under a powerful stream for 5 minutes in a wet or dry shower situation.

That's my take. You are going to look at Class Bs that are mostly either/or situations or night vs. day mode, aisle showers, doing your business in you kitchen and the gamut of Swiss Army Knife thinking. It's a challenge in ingenuity. I have been progressing toward designing non-convertible uses and spaces. The only area I break this is utilizing the cab seats in a turn around mode when parked. That cab area is a lot of precious space not to use.
2011 Great West Van Legend Sprinter
2005 Pleasure-way Plateau TS Sprinter
Davydd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:13 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Davydd View Post
utilizing the cab seats in a turn around mode when parked. That cab area is a lot of precious space not to use.

yes in my van these are the only seats if the full bed is made up.

I often use the pass seat in the evenings to read and stay out of the way

Mike
mkguitar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-09-2020, 11:37 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Darter Man View Post
.....................Is there a Class B with strong lithium batteries and a dry bath?
Are these two the most critical one?

Large capacity lithium batteries should be an easy task in our current days of Li trend, even many DIY folks start their conversion with a lithium battery bank piling the rest on top.

Dry bath will require a trade off with another space hungry gadget, a fridge, smaller bed, less cabinet storage. It could help your search if you think what can you sacrifice in lieu of your must goals. A decision analysis list of musts and wants could help you. Musts are simple, yes or no binary answer, but wants should be ranked.
GeorgeRa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2020, 03:06 AM   #6
Platinum Member

Welcome to the forum Darter Man!

Took us almost 2 years to find the perfect van for us.

The only two dry bath class "b's" I've seen are the recently discontinued Winebago ERA 170M (M- for Murphy Bed on a slideout) and one Coach House Model. Neither had a lithium package and last time I checked, Coach House was still using absorption refrigerators.

Class b's are a compromise. Get ready to compromise on a dry bath.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote