Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-19-2018, 08:22 PM   #1

Default Happy Travato Owners

Funny thing happened yesterday.

My wife and I have been looking at getting a Class B for some time. We plan to use it mostly for short camping trips (weekenders), mostly boondocking since there is so much free camping here out West.

Last week we went to our local RV super store and checked out every make and model they had, finally settling on a new 2018 Travato 59K. The main points in favor of the Travato for us were the floor plan (twin beds, rear bath) and the build quality. We picked out the unit we wanted and put down the deposit.

Yesterday we went back for another test drive and to sign the paperwork. On the way back into the showroom, we saw that they had a 2019 Travato set up so we stopped to take a look. Why not? Within one minute, we both turned to each other and gave the "This is the one!" look. The 2019 was so much improved from the 2018 that we switched on the spot. What made us switch?
  • Leather seats
  • Cassette style window shades (including the galley shade)
  • Factory bike rack
  • 200w solar vs 100 on the older one
  • Two extra porthole windows
  • Seemed bigger and more open overall
  • Better fabric on the beds
  • Price difference was less than 5K.

It may be just our perception, but the whole unit just seemed better quality. Talk to me in six months, but I'm very happy we saw the 2019 and made the switch. We considered waiting for the 59KL with the Li battery setup, but decided against it. We are not early adopters, especially since this is our first RV and the dealer didn't know anything about it anyway.

We'll take delivery in a couple of weeks.
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2018, 08:51 PM   #2
Platinum Member

Congratulations! I'm sure you will enjoy your new rig. Happy travels!
Old 03-19-2018, 09:31 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgrim View Post
Funny thing happened yesterday.

My wife and I have been looking at getting a Class B for some time. We plan to use it mostly for short camping trips (weekenders), mostly boondocking since there is so much free camping here out West.

Last week we went to our local RV super store and checked out every make and model they had, finally settling on a new 2018 Travato 59K. The main points in favor of the Travato for us were the floor plan (twin beds, rear bath) and the build quality. We picked out the unit we wanted and put down the deposit.

Yesterday we went back for another test drive and to sign the paperwork. On the way back into the showroom, we saw that they had a 2019 Travato set up so we stopped to take a look. Why not? Within one minute, we both turned to each other and gave the "This is the one!" look. The 2019 was so much improved from the 2018 that we switched on the spot. What made us switch?
  • Leather seats
  • Cassette style window shades (including the galley shade)
  • Factory bike rack
  • 200w solar vs 100 on the older one
  • Two extra porthole windows
  • Seemed bigger and more open overall
  • Better fabric on the beds
  • Price difference was less than 5K.

It may be just our perception, but the whole unit just seemed better quality. Talk to me in six months, but I'm very happy we saw the 2019 and made the switch. We considered waiting for the 59KL with the Li battery setup, but decided against it. We are not early adopters, especially since this is our first RV and the dealer didn't know anything about it anyway.

We'll take delivery in a couple of weeks.
dealers always know less about new stuff.aren't leather seats and bike rack and those windows-options?. I don't think they are standard. However if you actually wanted them aok
gerrym51 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 03:51 AM   #4

Default Wross007

How have you liked the Travato 59 K now that you have had it for a season?
My wife and I are thinking of that model as well. The K seems like a good layout for a couple and we also have 2 dogs.
Wross007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 04:18 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Send a message via Yahoo to bobojay

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wross007 View Post
How have you liked the Travato 59 K now that you have had it for a season?
My wife and I are thinking of that model as well. The K seems like a good layout for a couple and we also have 2 dogs.
We've had our 2019 K on 2018 chassis since last May. Just turned 10k miles with just one small issue which was a cracked fitting on the Truma. Easy fix.
So far we love it. Traded an ERA 70A on it. Handles and drives better and has the tightest turning radius in the van industry. Virtually the same fuel mileage.

We know 3 couples, one of which is a full timer, that bought the same model just prior to us that already have over 20k miles on their units with not an issue one...

Past RV's: 2013 WGO ERA 70A, Chevy PW Lexor
Itasca Navion, 29' Jayco 5th Wheel
bobojay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 05:00 PM   #6

After owning this rig for 9 months now I can give it an unqualified

We haven't put a lot of miles on it yet (7K), but we use it about twice a month and have had no problems whatsoever. We did some driveway camping recently because we were getting floors refinished in the house and it was more comfortable than sleeping in the guest bedroom.

I can't say enough about the Truma Combi system. It heats water quickly and I was pleased to find that I can run the heater entirely on electricity if I need to. Very convenient when plugged in and you don't want to use propane.

There are a few minor things:

When the front seats swivel, they only lock in at a full 180-degree rotation. Thi means that the drivers side doesn't lock in place. I would like it to lock at 135 or so.

I wish there was more table space options. I'd like something smaller than the dining table. I'll probably fabricate something this spring.

A little more storage would be nice, but this is a problem for all class B RVs.

I wish the Promaster had a V-8 in it. This thing struggles a bit on hills, but it handles like a dream. I put the Sumo Springs on it (front and back) and I highly recommend them. Much less sway!
jgrim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-17-2019, 06:14 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobojay View Post
We've had our 2019 K on 2018 chassis since last May. Just turned 10k miles with just one small issue which was a cracked fitting on the Truma. Easy fix.
So far we love it. Traded an ERA 70A on it. Handles and drives better and has the tightest turning radius in the van industry. Virtually the same fuel mileage.

We know 3 couples, one of which is a full timer, that bought the same model just prior to us that already have over 20k miles on their units with not an issue one...

Thanks so much for your reply. Glad to hear things are going well for you. I’m excited to check out the Travato more thoroughly.
Wross007 is offline   Reply With Quote