Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-17-2020, 03:01 AM   #1

Default Hello

Mike from IOWA here! Looking forward to learning about class b Rvs
Kenobeest is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 03:16 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenobeest View Post
Mike from IOWA here! Looking forward to learning about class b Rvs
Welcome to the forum Mike!

Can you be specific on what info you are seeking? We've had a few recent posts by new members asking vague questions like your's who turned out to be bots (not saying you're one).

Search and read old threads, then ask away. There's plenty of knowledgeable and helpful members ready to respond to your questions.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2020, 10:27 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Mike check?
Old 04-26-2020, 07:01 PM   #4
Bronze Member

i dont see a mike drop in the future.lol
jjustj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2020, 08:28 PM   #5
Platinum Member

Darn. I was really hoping Mike (Kenobeast) would be a real live person, but now it's not looking too good.

If it does turn out to be a bot post, they're getting smarter. Because that now means they are using a specific location (Iowa) and "knickname" (Kenobeast) instead of just "USA" and fake name "ElliottAugust".

Still, I hope Mike proves me wrong because I do find myself getting more cynical in my old age.
Old 04-26-2020, 11:02 PM   #6
Platinum Member

RB...bahahahahhahahaha...hey, where are you in TX?
NFRicaS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2020, 01:38 AM   #7
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by NFRicaS View Post
RB...bahahahahhahahaha...hey, where are you in TX?
Corpus Christi. About 30-35 miles South of where the eye of hurricane Harvey came ashore in '2017. A very bad storm, but a very small storm. That 30 miles kept us from getting hurricane force winds, except for a few stray gusts.
Old 04-27-2020, 02:01 AM   #8
Platinum Member

I grew up part of my life in Beeville...(the armpit of Texas) Ha!
Old 05-06-2020, 11:51 AM   #9

I am a live person, sorry took a while to get back to you. I rented my first RV from outdoorsy (30 ft Winnebago intent) for our family of five but have always wanted a class b (more of a kids sports stuff (swim meets primarily)), weekend trip to the parents (5 hours away) and weekend to week long road trips.
Old 05-06-2020, 11:58 AM   #10
Platinum Member

Quote:
I am a live person, sorry took a while to get back to you. I rented my first RV from outdoorsy (30 ft Winnebago intent) for our family of five but have always wanted a class b (more of a kids sports stuff (swim meets primarily)), weekend trip to the parents (5 hours away) and weekend to week long road trips.
Outstanding! Thanks for checking back.

Compared to your 30ft. rental, a class b is like driving a car. If you have a family, try to find one with passenger seats up near the front. The dash air conditioning usually doesn't keep the rear passengers comfortable when their seat is in the rear.

Anything specific you'd like to ask?
Old 05-06-2020, 12:24 PM   #11

Default What i want in a B

Quote:

So criteria:
1. 4x 4 or all wheel drive (love the 2020 AWD transit although a bit miffed that it does not have greater clearance-just to feel better about the exposed parts below the chassis. We live in the midwest and would like 4 season use
2. I would like it to have 2 proper beds. I like what the MAD Passage has with the drop down bed, would think about special order to get it with the fold down couch AND bed instead of the bench seats. Other option would be one of those lofted beds or a Hapijac (which seems better as it goes flush to the ceiling) I would probably do one of these insta beds for one of the kids over the drivers and passenger seats that I see pleasure way makes

3. Ideally the medium body transit with high roof, or the sprinter with 144 in WB with high roof: a bit tight for 5, but then so much maneuverable and I think most likely to use. I would want automotive look

4. 4 season capabilities: like I said, weekend trips to Wisconsin to visit fam, use possibly a “cabin” when deer hunting shack on my families property up north is full, swim meets (these things are all year!)
5. Wet bath.

5. I have a BLUTEC GLK Benz, and like diesel, hand have had no major problems on 110000mi, but I see the reports of the Sprinter reliability issues and less service here in the Midwest so the transit is lower price base-I always have a bit of a concern about these turbo boosted gas engines but still considering the ecodiesel as well. As an aside, I think the sprinter looks cosmetically nicer

6. After lots of lurking, I think a used would be the best financial decision (depreciation, diesel isn’t broken in until 20000 anyway), but realizing I am too picky on the needs and do not see really anything like this except for some custom builds, most of which are the long body

https://midwestautomotivedesigns.com...rv-camper-van/
(Above mentioned)

https://www.customcraftedvans.com/ family van (with seatbelts i the back a well)

Logan - Freedom Vans With th hapijack added and seat belts at the back (hopefully 3 point but this seems rare as they are not DOT/crash tested?)

Or this baby-probably my favorite but seems overpriced to me:

https://www.rvtrader.com/listing/201...HER-5012215401

There is no rush in this decision making, but I think this infatuation with van life is related to me getting older, so the tent camping I have done for years in not quite so comfortable. We love road trips and I grew up doing these nationwide as a child. And something of a life crisis. Or mid life crisis. As I joke to my wife-cheaper than an affair and more practical than a Porche!

I hope that doesn’t seem to much like a “bot” answer
Old 05-06-2020, 01:30 PM   #12
Platinum Member

You've definitely thought about and researched "b's" a lot. Not a typical newbie, even though you haven't owned one yet.

I agree with your points. If I could find a two-wheel drive "b" with the ground clearance of a four-wheel drive, that would work fine for me. Never dragged bottom yet, but I've never gone off road. Still, I've had to avoid many parking lot entrances and exits that were uncomfortably steep.

It took us over a year to find our "perfect for us" b (me, wife, 70lb Standard poodle). So be patient and you'll find yours. Too bad prices are so high for both new and used one right now.

Good luck.
Old 05-06-2020, 01:38 PM   #13

with SARS-COV2 continuing for the forseeable future (12-18 months), do you think, as I do that the market will allow for decrease in prices ala the car market? I wonder when and how much, I guess that is the golden question.
Old 05-06-2020, 07:33 PM   #14
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by rowiebowie View Post
Outstanding! Thanks for checking back.

Compared to your 30ft. rental, a class b is like driving a car. If you have a family, try to find one with passenger seats up near the front. The dash air conditioning usually doesn't keep the rear passengers comfortable when their seat is in the rear.

Anything specific you'd like to ask?
A friend runs her generator to have AC in the back while driving...just an FYI...
Old 05-09-2020, 11:48 AM   #15

Actually I think prices may hold up as I see people like ourselves interested in this market whom never were. We have ordered a Sequence 20A for many of the reasons you have listed. I too have a Mercedes diesel and quite like it and started down that path as well. However the thought of breaking down in the middle of no where combined with the fact that the pro master is front wheel drive (which translates into more headroom as no driveshaft) we liked. Seats with 3 point belts right behind the driver and pop top sealed the deal. However I am not sure it works best with a fivesome...
Paul Craven is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 12:19 PM   #16

I also was thinking of something like a sport mobile, which could have 4x4, but the upper pop top, bud probably not as easy to use for road trips where we would not be sleeping in it. I like the sequences, but I think the AWD 4x4 would be nice for winter driving. Already we have a FWD minivan, that handles poorly in the snow until recently when I went with devoted snow tires. Of course that is an option with the class b. I like the higher ride for ground clearance for all the things below that could get damaged as well.