Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-18-2019, 01:30 AM   #1
Bronze Member

Default Hello!!

Hi. The wife and I are purchasing a used 2008 Roadtrek 190 popular this Tuesday. Needless to say we are clueless but excited at the same time. We have no knowledge concerning all the functions of the van or even where all the components are located. I guess my first question is where would I find the house batteries on this rig?
chet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 12:35 PM   #2
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by chet View Post
Hi. The wife and I are purchasing a used 2008 Roadtrek 190 popular this Tuesday. Needless to say we are clueless but excited at the same time. We have no knowledge concerning all the functions of the van or even where all the components are located. I guess my first question is where would I find the house batteries on this rig?
I suggest reading the manual. Careful, there may be wrong stuff or stuff that does or does not apply to your B since roadtrek made changes during model years.

file:///home/chronos/u-1249671f1cd276b8428bfc42545fd5d50147b7e9/Downloads/2008-Roadtrek_Owners_Manual_for-_170-190-Models%20(1).pdf

If I'm recalling correctly, the 08 had a problem with the van's battery not lasting even a week before it was dead with roadtrek and chevrolet both pointing their finger at the other one. I don't know if a solution was found or if folks are still using battery disconnect switches for the express van's battery. Someone will probably chime in here.

I sure like my 05/04 190P.

Bud
Bud is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 01:04 PM   #3
Platinum Member

Quote:

We have a late 2007 190P so essentially the same vehicle.

It will have one or two house batteries. If one, it will be behind the passenger side rear wheelwell. Remove wing bolt on the rear wheel lip and then reach under the rear fender behind the wheelwell midway to the rear bumper. There is a sheet metal, spring loaded, handle to pull down to release the bottom of the compartment cover. Pull the bottom out a x prohibitedlittle bit and lift the cover off of the top hook that it sits in. Battery is on a slide inside the compartment. Lift the barrel bolt and slide out, but very well may be stuck in place so good to do this when you pick it up to check and perhaps get seller to pay for repair if stuck.

Second battery was optional and is in front of the rear passenger side wheelwell. Unlock the small door and it hinges up. Will also be on slides and may be stuck be less likely to be because of the location.

Check your VIN# to find out about the starting battery drain issue that Bud mentioned. If the 10th digit is a 7 you would have a 2007 chassis and if it is an 8 a 2008 chassis. Only the 2008 chassis had the issue as far as we know.
booster is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2019, 05:40 PM   #4
Bronze Member

Default Thanks guys

I appreciate the quick response. I didn’t know about the battery drain issue, will have to check that out. Is it confined to the house batteries only or does the starter battery also drain?
Old 03-18-2019, 05:51 PM   #5
Bud
Platinum Member

Quote:
I appreciate the quick response. I didn’t know about the battery drain issue, will have to check that out. Is it confined to the house batteries only or does the starter battery also drain?
It is the Express Van's starting battery, Not the 'house' battery/batteries.

The house battery has a disconnect switch, covered in your manual.

Bud
Old 03-18-2019, 06:37 PM   #6
Bud
Platinum Member

Hello again chet,

I'm wondering how "clueless" you are?

I purchased my 05/04 190P used (22 months) but had been on the Yahoo Roadtrek forum for quite awhile prior Which Was Invaluable. That forum has little traffic today, but it had lots concerning your B. You can search that forum still, and there are folks there that can and will assist. There are facebook forums I assume but I'm not there.

Bud
Old 03-19-2019, 02:26 AM   #7
Bronze Member

hey Bud
Totally "clueless"!! I've been on you tube for the last week trying to absorb info. I will be picking up the van tomorrow. Looked at some manuals but retain more from hands on.
Thanks
Old 03-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #8
Silver Member

Default Two things, tires and batteries

I have a 2008 210 (built on a 2007 chassis) no battery drainage issues, but two things you don't want to skimp on are batteries and tires. Batteries have been covered above.

You should check your tires and learn how to read the date codes stamped in the tire sidewall (Google it}. Your tires might look great, but if they are more than 5 to 7 years old then you should consider replacing them, especially if the van has been setting outside. Blowing a tire in your Roadtrek is not a fun thing and tires do have a life based on years regardless of the miles traveled.

When we bought our 2008 210 the prior owner kept telling me how great the tires were with only 21000 miles on the chassis (the tires were original and 10 years old…). The first thing I did was change all the fluids and buy a new set of Bridgestones.
jbucking is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 04:37 PM   #9
Bronze Member

Mine is 2009 model. I have spent so many hours and days and dollars fighting the battery drain problem on this Chevy piece of crap. After all the time and dollars and fights with both Roadtrek and Chevy the ONLY solution that works is to keep the motor home on a battery charger ANYTIME I am not driving it. Believe me, I tried everything else. A pox on both Chevy and Roadtrek. I am delighted to see Roadtrek go under. NOT for the workers but for management! And their dealers.
bigoldbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 05:32 PM   #10

Hey BIG BOB. We have a 09/10. 210 P replaced battery once after 9 years of service. Am I lucky or is mine from a different assembly run.
Kaypay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:15 PM   #11
Bronze Member

Hey Bob... Do you want ot unload that "Cheap piece of crap" cheap since it is so bad? I know several who will be interested. Let me have specifics.
Roadie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:27 PM   #12
Platinum Member

OK ,,I have a 210 p ,,, and my two batteries are the passenger side,,,out side sliding draw,,, the draw most forward.
,,,, ,,,, as stated above
Starting battery problem ,,, could not find a solution here or else where ,,, so I put a trickle charge in the garage and hook up a solar charger when on the road ,,, solved the problem. not worth the time to me to track it down, both go in through the cig. lighter. I do have a quick disconnect on my house bats ,,,,very neat,,,, but have to lift the hood every time ,, so I only use it if we are going to leave the van for a month or so.
I like having the solar anyway , If we are driving every day there is no need to charge starting battery, so I use the solar charger on the house batteries ,,save on Generator time when boondocking
We are six months of owning ,,,,Lots of tent camping and boating pre-Van
have added to van
Beefed up suspension
back-up and side cameras
New Frig, .... be sure to keep your van leaved when parked if the frig is running
and the above 4 watt solar charger.
Like the van very much ,,big step up from the tent.
Have gotten lots of help here .... some very knowledgeable and nice folks
The tire recommendation is a good one . our van and tires only had 32 k on it but the tire were shot from sitting
Hope you enjoy you van
Michael
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2019, 06:44 PM   #13
Bronze Member

I don’t know your unit nor how you use it. If you drive it constantly may be the difference. Or it may be one they made changes to design in production. I do know people at the plant said the chassis in the yard waiting to be brought inside for outfitting...all had dead batteries. They had to pull the batteries when the chassis arrived at the plant and store them inside until ready to outfit the unit. The plant hinted there was a major lawsuit between General Motors and Roadtrek. Mine was owned by two dealerships BEFORE I owned it. (One of those went bankrupt. Likely from repercussions from dead batteries). If it had been fixable...they would have fixed the problem. Since I owned it we have had to two Chevy dealerships and two RV repair facilities, both associated with the Roadtrek company, not independent your local Rv repair facility. NO ONE HAS SOLUTION. I hope yours is different in design. I even had to have the turn signals run through the radio before they worked. This unit is major lemon but I am stuck with it. For now. If buying a unit near this vintage be sure to check out the electrical system.
Old 03-24-2019, 06:47 PM   #14
Bronze Member

And mine is an 08 chassis with a 09 production model. Happy for you!
Old 03-24-2019, 09:19 PM   #15

I have this model and my batteries are one behind the back passenger side tire, cover panel unscrews, the 2nd is in a locked cover in front of the back tire also on the passenger side Hope this helps😀
WilmaK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 05:29 AM   #16
Bronze Member

Welcome to the family. Consider yourself lucky that you chose a great rig. Your 2008 190P is essentially the same coach as any RT 190P right up through 2018. They changed very little of the design since it has proven itself as is over time. So you got a 2018 coach for a 2008 price. No one will be able to tell the difference between one or the other. I have a 2007 190P 4x4 and it has been an absolutely rock steady coach. Very few issues.

Don't worry too much about being able to absorb the material all at once. Maybe just some important things like don't accidentally leave the inverter switch on or the outdoor light switch on or leave the fridge on the 12 volt selection. Those will drain your house batteries if you accidentally leave them on. Pay particular attention to how to operate your macerator waste system properly to avoid any headaches. Maybe change the oil in the generator and keep it exercised including your A/C. Don't rely on the black water tank level indicator to be accurate. Oh, and watch your head getting in and out the side door until your body gets a good idea on exactly how low to go when stepping in/out. Read the manual and enjoy a wonderful RV!
MrMyagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2019, 04:32 PM   #17
Bronze Member

Thank you MrMyagi
And thanks everyone for your response. Our first trip will be a short run to boondock for a weekend. We are looking forward to it.
Old 03-26-2019, 02:07 AM   #18
Platinum Member

First time out we were surprised how quickly the tank fill. Ill be interested to shear your report.
mangomike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 12:39 AM   #19

Quote:
I recently got an 08 Popular 19 and had to replace the engine battery. When I looked at the date I was shocked to see that it was 9 years old.
Roz
Rkrumm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-27-2019, 01:36 AM   #20
Bronze Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rkrumm View Post
I recently got an 08 Popular 19 and had to replace the engine battery. When I looked at the date I was shocked to see that it was 9 years old.
Roz
Hi Roz
That is a well used battery, it had a long life. We got lucky cause ours had a new battery installed and the tires are only 6 months old. They were manufactured in late 2018. It’s got a lot of miles on it though 143k.