Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 05-27-2021, 09:30 PM   #1

Default Hello All!

I was told to head over here from the fiberglassrv forum so here I am!

I just recently purchased a 2004 E-350 with a Unicell fiberglass body that I plan to convert. It's not going to be easy as it's just a big bubble so I'm going to need all the help I can get!

I've attached a photo of it, hopefully I'm not in over my head!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_20210522_192925_02.jpg (337.4 KB, 35 views)
Conradcliff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-28-2021, 03:51 AM   #2
Platinum Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Conradcliff View Post
I was told to head over here from the fiberglassrv forum so here I am!

I just recently purchased a 2004 E-350 with a Unicell fiberglass body that I plan to convert. It's not going to be easy as it's just a big bubble so I'm going to need all the help I can get!

I've attached a photo of it, hopefully I'm not in over my head!

Welcome to the forum!

You're in for an adventure with some bumps along the way. But others on this forum have built out their own vans and should be a great help. It would probably a good idea to decide what you want to include and then sketch out your build with all appropriate measurements.

I'd say ventilation will be your first challenge. Include at least one roof vent fan (I recommend a Maxxfan) and a small window or vent to allow it to draw in fresh air. A van can get stuffy very quickly (imagine a car with windows rolled up and ac offf).

Second challenge is get some insulation in place. Third is to get your wiring laid out.
rowiebowie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2021, 05:10 PM   #3
Silver Member

Let YouTube be your friend. Planning what you want and designing where to put things is a step that deserves lots of attention. You might check out the Humble Road YouTube channel to see how he uses cardboard mock-ups to design his interiors.
Old 06-13-2021, 05:44 PM   #4
Platinum Member

Thanks for posting, as I'd never heard of Unicell or Aerocell truck bodies before. A web search enlightened me to my satisfaction.
Peder_y2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-14-2021, 05:19 AM   #5
Platinum Member

Congratulations on your new van. You have a challenge with the bubble shape but with some cardboard templates you should be able to put the square pegs in the round holes. As Dieps said Youtube is your friend and Humbleroad is a great source for build inspiration. I would say figure out your wants and then figure out hot you can place them. Ventilation, insulation, wiring, plumbing are early on considerations. You can also do a partial build and use the van before finalizing the finished design. Camping in the empty van for a weekend or two. Weight is your enemy even if you have excess carrying capacity since weight will break things sooner, get you stuck and cost you in fuel economy. Bed frame rails from Ikea are light weight and strong and so is their spring slat bedframes at a cost that you cannot beat. Ikea cabinets are too heavy and I would recommend plywood or composite for cabinets over particle boards. Insulate your floor and work from the centre line down the floor.

Enjoy the journey.
Formerly - 2007 Pleasure Way Plateau (06 Sprinter T1N), 1992 VW Eurovan Westfalia Hightop
Long ago - 1969 VW Westfalia & 1973 GMC Motorhome
ks@yvr is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fiberglass, unicell